Goodbye Jesus

Should I Answer This Challenge?

Insightful

I was talking about the kid in the OP.

Fair enough.  I use to be just like him regarding belief that the Bible being without error.  (However

something inside me always panicked at the thought of becoming a pastor.)  Of corse there is a chance

that studying the Bible might force him to face the truth.  Generally though, such changes do not come

from debate with non-Christians.  That is due to the layers of defense Christianity has set up against

outsiders.  Outsiders are seen as misguided, deceived by Satan, lacking the Holy Spirit's guidance,

dead and blind to the spiritual world, and so on.  Usually Christianity fails from the inside because the

promises and claims do not measure up to reality.  The short description in the OP could be someone

who is having a crisis of faith but is talking bold in order to hide it.  Or he could be talking bold because

he is way in deep and not anywhere ready to de-convert.  You are right that we cannot read his mind.

If that guy comes here and deconverts I will be the first one to declare that I was wrong about him.  It

won't be the first time I was wrong and it won't be the last.

The challenge does sound quite cocky and insincere. However, some people with insecurities do get cocky and defensive, so it's possible that he may have some doubts. In fact, for all I know, this could be a masked attempt to consider the possibility that he could be wrong before he invests a lot in seminary. However you respond is your business, but I kind of like the idea others have posted about having him come here and debate. I myself don't have time right now for debating, but there are others here who do and are quite good at it.

I was talking about the kid in the OP.

Fair enough.  I use to be just like him regarding belief that the Bible being without error.  (However

something inside me always panicked at the thought of becoming a pastor.)  Of corse there is a chance

that studying the Bible might force him to face the truth.  Generally though, such changes do not come

from debate with non-Christians.  That is due to the layers of defense Christianity has set up against

outsiders.  Outsiders are seen as misguided, deceived by Satan, lacking the Holy Spirit's guidance,

dead and blind to the spiritual world, and so on.  Usually Christianity fails from the inside because the

promises and claims do not measure up to reality.  The short description in the OP could be someone

who is having a crisis of faith but is talking bold in order to hide it.  Or he could be talking bold because

he is way in deep and not anywhere ready to de-convert.  You are right that we cannot read his mind.

If that guy comes here and deconverts I will be the first one to declare that I was wrong about him.  It

won't be the first time I was wrong and it won't be the last.

You're right about that. I was very defensive about arguments against Christianity until I had almost completed my self-deconversion, so to speak. I just think it's unfair not to give him the benefit of the doubt.

was following the exchange between ACceptingAtheist Vs mymistake on Gay marriage slippery slope, and i am glad that i have decided not to debate with most christians.....

i do have some opinions exchange with christians still, but only selectively few