Goodbye Jesus

Why Is The Holy Spirit Faceless?

The Sage Nabooru

I've always wondered why God and Jesus could be in paintings and be given a face (the graying angry old strongman for God, and the gentle rosy-cheeked young bearded guy for Jesus), but the Holy Spirit wasn't. It seems he is a pretty important guy in the Trinity, yet why don't we ever see him? Not even as a flash of light or something.

I've heard that the Holy Spirit is a dove, but more often it's just invisible. Also, a dove doesn't make a lot of sense, when you think about God in Man's image, that's easy to picture. But giving God a form of an animal - wouldn't that be idolatry, and suggesting that man is not, in fact, God's sole Special Creation in His Image?

When I was a little girl in Sunday School, I memorized the identifying features of God and Jesus: God always wore white with a blue sash, Jesus always wore white with a red sash. I couldn't figure out what color sash the Holy Spirit wore, so I chose green. I got in a little bit of trouble for that. I was told the Holy Spirit didn't wear a green sash and couldn't be drawn. Why? Jesus and the Father could be drawn. Well, I was told, Jesus was the God made Flesh, so we know he was a man. And God created man in His Own Image, so we know what God looks like. But we haven't seen the Holy Spirit in person, nor have we been told what He looks like, so we can't draw him.

But - if God did indeed create man in His Own Image, wouldn't it make sense that since God is in three persons, all representing the same entity - therefore, all three persons are God, and thus have God's Face - that all three persons would be in His Image, and thus humanoid? It wouldn't be that remarkable that Jesus was a man, since supposedly Jesus was God, and since we know God is humanoid since we know God created man in His Own Image, thus God simply puts a physical manifestation of Himself on Himself, which is Jesus. Understand?

I've heard that the Holy Spirit is a dove, but more often it's just invisible. Also, a dove doesn't make a lot of sense, when you think about God in Man's image, that's easy to like, so we can't draw him.

But - if God did indeed create man in His Own Image, wouldn't it make sense that since God is in three persons, all representing the same entity - therefore, all three persons are God, and thus have God's Face - that all three persons would be in His Image, and thus humanoid? It wouldn't be that remarkable that Jesus was a man, since supposedly Jesus was God, and since we know God is humanoid since we know God created man in His Own Image, thus God simply puts a physical manifestation of Himself on Himself, which is Jesus. Understand?

I don,t know if this will help....but some of the early christians looked upon the holy spirit as feminine. They equated the holy spirit with Sophia the goddess of wisdom. She was revered by many in the early church.....look up some books on gnostic christianity and you should find quite a few references. The misogynist literalist church wrote her out of christianity....although to a certain extent Mary took on some of her qualities

I was always under the impression that the holy spirit is your soul, or your own mind, or something like that. Atleast that's what my pentacostal co-worker said.

if Spirit is our conscious thought; the Holy Spirit could be telepathy.. those voices we hear in our head could be the Holy Spirit.. or at least not our own

Holy really isn't all that holy, just misunderstood what it was

Actually, I found this picture of the Holy Spirit in the Vatican's Archives.

I can see why they never depict it in paintings...

holyspirit.jpg

I thought that was the Chupacabra.

Always suspected it and the Holy Ghost were one and the same...

I've seen the holy spook represented by a dove and by tongues of fire. That's about it.

I guess they just ran out of ideas. Xianity seems more preoccupied with creating a lurid Hell for sinners to suffer in than in personifying one of their gods :shrug:

I think the original intention of the concept of a "holy spirit" was that it was just God's presence. Not an entity by itself. So the early church didn't have the trinity idea developed, and the Holy Sprocket wasn't depictable, since it wasn't really a person or a thing. I think that developed over time, and then they added the "I will send a helper" and stuff. But no one could ever figure out what he/it/she was.

Hey. that's an idea. I bet the Holy Sprocket was supposed to be the female counterpart in the divine club. Father, Mother and the Son! Screw Mary! Mr Ghost was really Mrs Ghost.

During a recent visitation, I was able to magically capture this glorious image of the Holy Spook - with His face manifested! Glory!

holyspook1.jpg

Hey. that's an idea. I bet the Holy Sprocket was supposed to be the female counterpart in the divine club. Father, Mother and the Son! Screw Mary! Mr Ghost was really Mrs Ghost.

Correct. The Gnostics considered the Holy Spirit the Feminine Aspect of Divinity. Essentially the same as Sophia, Divine Wisdom. Her symbol is the dove.

box%2026-06.jpg

"OOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm going to grip you all in insanity!" Holy Spirit to the Pencost people.

"Oh man, I wish Holy Spirit wasn't so birdbrainy and a umm, spirit." Jesus.

"Yeah, I'm going to put my dentures away and snore..." Almighty God.

Holy Spirit cries and fly away.

'We can only abuse you but people's not allowed to call you bad names!" God screams.