Goodbye Jesus

Am I Just Worshipping Myself?

willybilly30

when i pray or do spells am i just calling myself a god/goddess and asking myself to solve things and make things happen?

when i seek guidance from my spiritguide am i just getting guidance from myself?

when i light candles on the alter and cast a circle is the sacred space really a shrine to me?

when i study religious books, religions, meditate with crystals, hang dream catchers over my bed am i really just wasting my time whys it have to lift me up so much maybe its like marajuana it makes us high but its really just playing with chemicals in your brain.

who is this god i talk too who is this god who talks too me maybe i should name him william (my name) and put my picture on the alter.

why do i love it all so much? whys it all feel so special.

are we in reality our own gods if we choose to be in a religion?

why do i have to be so in love with something that dont exist.

iv wanted to make a book of shadows with my beliefs and rituals but i guess id be wasting my time.

uggg why do i have to be so obscessed so in love so passionate about stuff everyone says is foolish.

this no afterlife thing aggrivates me too im handicapped i can work but i have lots of problems, iv never had a wife, car or children and i thought well maybe in the next life ill see what its like to be normal maybe this life is a test from god and when iv learned from it ill get a better life. but no afterlife means this is it.

dont get me wrong i love my life alot wouldnt give it up for nothing but i get no second chance at anything.

now this obsesses me. everything iv studied, done, did had to do with religion now i find out its all probally a waste of time. cant help but feel a little depressed. ill get over it someday im sure.

maybe i should start collecting stamps or baseball cards then atleast i could obsess over something i know exists.

no one gonna answer hu?

eh well if im my own god atleast its something i can agree with rather then worshipping something i never could.

Maybe you are just worshipping yourself... maybe the feel-good feelings you get are just wonky chemicals in your brain...

But I don't fault you for doing whatever you do. Whatever makes you the happiest. Don't let our opinions get to you. None of us are 100% sure about any of this... follow your conscience and do what makes you able to live with yourself. Life is too short to care what others think... (not that I am the best at living this little piece of wisdom, but it's good advice nevertheless).

:)

I have a current working hypothesis that all religions are self-worship at their core. I find it interesting how often a deity is a reflection of the person describing it. I think religions are cultural mirrors, and gods are mirrors of the individual.

But whether the actions you take within your religion are a "waste of time", as you put it, isn't something I can tell you. Do you get comfort from them? Do you get some emotional or psychological benefit? Does it help you understand your place in the universe? Then I wouldn't call any of it a waste of time.

maybe i should start collecting stamps or baseball cards then atleast i could obsess over something i know exists.

Obsessing over anything is unhealthy, IMO

If you enjoy it, then do it, as long as you don't start preaching about it I don't really care and neither does anyone else.

:)

Willy,

If you believe that god/energy/whatever is in you, then you are paying tribute to yourself...that part of yourself that is part of god/energy/whatever. So, yes and no, IMO.

I believe that our life force is this energy and I believe it to be a consciousness...one that we can draw energy from and we can do that by ritual and prayer. This is what I believe and there is nothing wrong with what you believe. I wouldn't absolutely say that there is nothing after death because energy is never destroyed but only changes form, as Einstein said. There is something after death, but no one can tell you what it is. Not knowing is okay though...you don't have to say there isn't anything.

The power of faith brings alot of energy, I heard of a psyciatric study that said "people who are prayed for, following any religious prayer showed increased health results in 90% of the cases. The power of prayer can be a very powerful thing, simply because there is alot of energy in it. If you feel good about something keep doing it, you should feel good about what you do.

The power of faith brings alot of energy, I heard of a psyciatric study that said "people who are prayed for, following any religious prayer showed increased health results in 90% of the cases. The power of prayer can be a very powerful thing, simply because there is alot of energy in it. If you feel good about something keep doing it, you should feel good about what you do.

actually, I believe ro-bear gave a link once thoroughly de-bunking that particular claim/study. It really isn't possible to come up with a reliable test group for this sort of study (think about it...).

i dont plan on preaching. if i was preaching id be putting up alot of stuff and saying this is tha truth.

ongly people sure of the truth bother preaching thats not me by a long shot.

If you enjoy it, then do it, as long as you don't start preaching about it I don't really care and neither does anyone else.

:) [/b]

actually, I believe ro-bear gave a link once thoroughly de-bunking that particular claim/study. It really isn't possible to come up with a reliable test group for this sort of study (think about it...).

True, but I was just giving an example, I wasn't aware it was disproven. But, Prayer can help calm the nerves.

I have a current working hypothesis that all religions are self-worship at their core. I find it interesting how often a deity is a reflection of the person describing it. I think religions are cultural mirrors, and gods are mirrors of the individual.

Sounds good. And when we don't like what we see in the "mirror" that's when we begin to doubt or deconvert.

maybe this energy is sorta like clay and molds into whatever you think it is.

and like gwenmead said gods are reflection of yourself so in that way iv invented my gods.

i guess in a way everyone (exept athiests) is inventing their own gods and religions and worshipping themselves forming that energy into something. if theirs a true god or energy or whatever it is maybe its working behind the scenes and for some reason lets us all do our thing and make guesses about it. well its what id like to think anyway.

Willy,

If you believe that god/energy/whatever is in you, then you are paying tribute to yourself...that part of yourself that is part of god/energy/whatever. So, yes and no, IMO.

I believe that our life force is this energy and I believe it to be a consciousness...one that we can draw energy from and we can do that by ritual and prayer. This is what I believe and there is nothing wrong with what you believe. I wouldn't absolutely say that there is nothing after death because energy is never destroyed but only changes form, as Einstein said. There is something after death, but no one can tell you what it is. Not knowing is okay though...you don't have to say there isn't anything.