Goodbye Jesus

Il Pray For You

themonkeyman

How many people here heard that phrase? When I was a Christian and said something contaray to popular opinion they said, il Pray to you it feels like Christians use it in a similar way to 'Fuck you crazy'

Il Pray for you that God shows the way.... Well funny that cos this is the outcome me being an athest it appears God fucked up

• Like 1

If they were really concerned about your eternal fate, they wouldn't just pray.  They would fast.  For, like, 40 days.  And then sprinkle the blood of a pigeon on an altar.  

• Like 1

the whole concept of prayer with the Christian God doesnt make sense. If god is all knowing and already knew what would happen in all of the days of your life (according to Psalm 139:15-16), then what's the use of prayer? it's basically asking god what you want when he already knows what will happen. furthermore, other christians say that with prayer you also have to take action. When you truly examine that statement, it's another way of saying "prayer doesn't affect the course of things at all, so take action."

when someone says "ill pray for you," they believe that their loving god will respond to all of their requests for people to convert. And that NEVER happens unless someone TAKES ACTION to lead someone to the church. prayer is just what they use as a motivator to ask someone if they'd like to learn more about Christianity.

some people who told me "i'll pray for you" meant it with sincerity, they wanted my soul to be less burdened and they meant well by it. but others said it because they felt obligated to pray for people. or they said it because they found out i didn't believe or i was struggling in faith. they just want to make sure everyone they come into contact with loves the same god. 

I like the phrase (that goes something like) 'One pair of active hands is worth ten pairs clasped in prayer.'

• Like 1

Sometimes it's used as a sort of weapon.  It's like jamming an egg-salad sandwich IN YOUR FACE.

I'LL PRAY FOR YOU.  You poor, lost, deluded, pitiful, hopeless soul who has been led astray.  

"I'll pray for you" can also be a hidden form of criticism/disapproval. "You are backsliding? I'll pray for you." Or an excuse not to help out. "Oh, you don't have anywhere to sleep? Let me pray for you."

May also serve to check on your spiritual state of mind: "I have been praying for you." As in "I hope you repented from your evvvvvil ways."

Gawd.

How about "We prayed for you! Did you feel it?" 

Yes... "We". Minus me. So I guess that whoever "we" consists of, they know a bit more gossip about me now.  

• Like 1

I like the phrase (that goes something like) 'One pair of active hands is worth ten pairs clasped in prayer.'

When my mom died when I was 18, a couple of my friends said only, "I'm praying for you."  But what I really wanted was for them to spend some time with me, talk to me, hang out with me.  The consequence was was that I ended, over time, the friendships with the people who only prayed, but sincerely loved even more the few friends that actually did talk to me and hang out with me and take me out to have some fun.

I was aware on one level that we were all between the ages of 17-19 at that time, and we really didn't have the maturity to deal with a death and grief.  My praying-only friends really didn't know what to do and were uncomfortable, and I was too grief-stricken and uncomfortable with just asking them to spend time with me.

I don't think most people get better at that with age.  But I think it's worth trying to grow and mature enough to extend some actual love (by helping or talking or hanging out) to others when they're in need.