Goodbye Jesus

Julia Sweeney "letting Go Of God"

Mythra

Julia Sweeney is a comedienne who was with Saturday Night Live years ago.  She is now a prominent atheist who performs a monologue based on her book "Letting Go of God".  I'm sure a lot of you are familiar with it, but I wanted to post this for anyone who isn't.  Its' long (about 2 hours).  But it's pretty entertaining.  And interesting.  And at times funny.  Has anyone seen this monologue in person? 

• Like 3

Note to directionless and rjn:

Watch this video.  Invest the time. Please.  Julia Sweeney is a lot like you guys.  A very intelligent lady who was obsessed with religious thoughts and questions from a very young age.  In her quest for the truth, she has examined and questioned just about everything imaginable.  Only she had the resources and presence of mind to really examine them closely.  

In the end, the quest leads her to the conclusion that God is not real.  And then she does some deep "soul searching" about nihilistic thoughts and other implications regarding atheism.

Her presentation is kind of animated, perhaps you might think the deadpan expressions and everything are corny.  But she is an actress.  And this monologue is like she is in a one-woman play.  

I really hope you two guys (especially) will watch this.  I promise you'll find at least one or two things here that resonate with you. And may even help you in your journey.

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Everyone, just watch it. Seriously.

I watched Julie 5 years ago when I first joined EX. She is an amazing woman and will have you falling out of your chair in laughter. But....she is also extremely serious and gets her brilliant points across.

I would love to watch this again. Anyone suffering, please watch this. It will be so worth your time!! Thanks for posting this!!

I remember hearing this (must've been on the radio? I guess?) a long time ago, before I ever entertained thoughts of atheism. Was definitely not ready to accept the possibility of no God at that time but definitely need to revisit it now. Thanks for sharing!

Actually just picked up a book, The Good Atheist, which has a forward by Julia Sweeney. My first atheist book! Bought it while visiting my sister in the Bible belt, had to wait till she'd checked out and hide it from her. Scandalous!

That's a decent monologue for sure. I recommend it highly.

Watched the entire thing yesterday. Again, thanks for the tip Mythra!

Can't say any of her points were new to me, but that doesn't really matter, because the way she presented it all was very engaging so I got very immersed in her story none the less. Amazing woman really.