Goodbye Jesus

Dear Substance-Stronger-Than-"god"-Aka-Ironhorse

xIan

What prayers have you seen answered?

I know you have many things to reply to, but this one should be pretty simple.

Of course you know better.

What prayers have you seen answered?

I know you have many things to reply to, but this one should be pretty simple.

Of course you know better.

If I had to wager, I would guess it's things that can totally be attributed to luck, simple statistics or the kindness of others.

- Someone getting "cured" of some illness. (Of course, but never being brought back from the dead or having a limb regrown)

- A better job, car, more money, a bill taken care of by kindness or luck, etc. 

- Asking for "comfort" and then seeing a "sign" that reminds them of "God's presence" 

I've had those happen to me too, when I was a christian. Looking back, they are no more chance than they are now. For example, I had a large medical bill come due that I forgot and that I didn't have the money for. Lo and behold, I got a settlement payment from a class action suit that was a little more than the medical bill. Praise Jesus! Right? Except: I'm an atheist and never prayed for that extra cash! It was dumb luck and good timing. That's it. 

Had that "miracle" not happen, I would've set up a payment plan. (Which has happened before too...no sudden money falling from the sky from Magical Lottery Jesus).

• Super Moderator

However, since I do profess to be some sort of scientist, I propose an experiment.

"Dear God, The Father of Jesus Christ Our Lord, and the most Glorious Holy Spirit,

I pray to you as a most unworthy and miserable wretch, completely undeserving of your great mercy and love.  I know my prayer is that of a wicked sinner.  Yet, I believe that, in the goodness and grace of your unending love, you hear and answer prayers, even from godless barbarians such as myself.  I ask you, O Precious Heavenly Father, that you would make Ironhorse reveal to us the skeptical appraisal of his beliefs which he claims to have written and which BAA has been asking for since around 2 o'clock of the afternoon upon which your Noble Son ascended into Heaven.  

"I ask also, Most Gracious Lord, that you would make Ironhorse respond to all of the questions we have asked him since his arrival, including the ones he has persistently ignored.  Let your Mighty Holy Spirit move upon Ironhorse that he might be ready to give account both in season and out of season.  

"I ask all these things in the name of Jesus, the very name to which every knee shall bow and every tongue confess, believing that where two or more are gathered together as touching any one thing, you will give it, and knowing that whatsoever we ask in your name you will do, because you are both able and willing to do more than we could ever ask or even imagine.

"In Jesus' name I pray,

Amen"

Now we'll see if god answers prayer any better than Ironhorse answers questions...

Bumped for your convenience, Precious Heavenly Father.

Just checking in for a few minutes...

I am posting from a public library and should be back online at home by next Wednesday.

Tomorrow is Wednesday, Precious Heavenly Father.  You ready?

god answers prayer... halle-fuckin'-luja!

From bornagainathiest:

Please note that your answer should only address the specific reason why you believe.

Your answer shouldn't address any other topic, subject or issue.          (So no videos, poetry or song lyrics, please.)

Your answer shouldn't contain anything about what you believe.          (This is about why. You've told us what you believe.)
Your answer shouldn't contain any passages from scripture.                (Referring back to the source of your faith to say why you have faith is a circular argument.)
Your answer shouldn't contain any references to the beliefs of others. (This is about you and your reason for believing.)
Your answer shouldn't contain any logical fallacies.                               (Such as the Argument from Ignorance or the Argument from Personal Incredulity. Two of your favorites.)
Your answer shouldn't refer to your upbringing or education.                (Because you deny that either of these things was a factor in decision to believe.)
Your answer shouldn't refer to any scientific evidence.                          (Because, after years of being asked, if you had any you'd have given it by now.)
Please answer the question, Ironhorse.

What is your reason for being a Christian believer?

I love the story.

From Jeff: What prayers have you seen answered?

I don’t view prayer as some “magic chant” to make all my wishes come true. Imagine a world where that was true. I always pray that if "according to his will" this be done. I understand that disease, tragic accidents and death are part of this fallen world I live in. Prayer does help me daily in facing the day.

I have prayed for family and friends suffering from cancer. Some died from the disease, other did not. My parents, two uncles, four cousins and two close friends died. Two of them were only 24 and 32. Two other friends survived cancer and are still doing well.

I know this can all be counted as coincidence. I just don't. I believe God knows what is going on the why of it all. 

I believe God answers prayer in three ways: yes, no and wait. I view prayer as having access to the most powerful being in the universe. I accept the answers.

In prayer I find peace and hope.

• Super Moderator

"I love the story."

Is that really the best you can do, TinPony?  We've been waiting for months for you to produce the skeptical appraisal of your beliefs, which you claim to have written (and written two different versions, no less); and the best you can do is... "I love the story."

I love the story of The Highlander's Last Song by George MacDonald; but that doesn't mean I've skeptically appraised the literature for its veracity, validity, or historical accuracy.  It simply means that I read it a couple of times and felt good about things.  NOTHING more.

How is it that with the holy spirit guiding you, the blood of jesus washing you, the power of the almighty god emboldening you, the best you can come up with is... "I love the story"?  Hell, I even prayed for you, man.

Is that really the best you can do?

Maybe, "I love the story" isn't the best Ironhorse can do, Prof.

Maybe it's all he can do.

Perhaps the reason he believes in Jesus has nothing to do with reason.

And everything to do with emotion.

So why don't you ask him if the reason he's a Christian is purely emotional?

I'd be interested to read his answer.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Super Moderator

Thanks,

BAA.

I'd ask him, BAA; but Ironhorse has made an Olympic sport out of dodging questions from me.

Well, Ironhorse has listed other reasons he believes:

1)  Argument from Incredulity (the Universe and life are too complex, therefore GODDIDIT).

2)  Circular reasoning (the Bible says it therefore it is true).

3)  Argument from Common Sense (It makes the most sense).

and NOW, fresh from the farm:

4)  I love the story.

Once again, Ironhorse ignores the real reasons he believes, as has been previously pointed out several times.

Thanks,

BAA.

I'd ask him, BAA; but Ironhorse has made an Olympic sport out of dodging questions from me.

It's nothing personal, Prof.

Here's a classic example of him dodging a question from disillusioned.  With additional comments by Ficino, Thought2Much and yourself.

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:06 PM by Ironhorse

Are you absolutely sure there is no God?

If not, then is it not possible that there is a God?

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:48 PM by disillusioned

You asked for a yes or no answer. I suppose I have to say "no". But I will say it with a caveat: it depends a great deal on what you mean by "God".

If I'm sticking with yes or no, then my answer is "yes", but the caveat from above still applies.

IH, unless you can provide a clear definition of what you mean when you say "God", my responses (and everyone else's for that matter) are mainly meaningless.

Posted 13 December 2015 - 03:01 PM by disillusioned

Still waiting IH. Your silence is very telling.

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:35 PM by disillusioned

Hey IH, I'm still waiting. I answered your questions. Will you not answer mine? Please do so at your leisure.

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:19 PM by Ironhorse

God singular, not plural gods.

One universal eternal being, the creator and ruler of the universe; the supreme being.

God

------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:50 PM by disillusioned

I'm not accepting this IH. Answer my question, please. What, exactly, do you mean when you say "God". Be specific.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 11:21 AM by Ironhorse

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

~ John 1:1-3

Posted 24 December 2015 - 06:32 AM by disillusioned

This is what we call an impredicative definition. I ask you what you mean by God, and you respond with "the Word was with God, and the Word was God". 

This is not answering the question. If you asked me what pizza was, and I said "the meal I eat when I eat pizza" that would not be helpful.

You asked whether I know that God does not exist, and whether it is possible that He does. I repeat: what, exactly, do you mean by "God"?

Posted 24 December 2015 - 07:18 AM by Ficino

disillusioned, on 24 Dec 2015 - 11:32 AM, said:snapback.png

You asked whether I know that God does not exist, and whether it is possible that He does. I repeat: what, exactly, do you mean by "God"?

Insert Bible verse here, or U2 lyric. 

Posted 24 December 2015 - 04:05 PM by Thought2Much

That was really fucking lame, even for you, ironhorse.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:27 AM by The Redneck Prof

Bono believes there is a god.

It is possible that Bono exists.

In the end disillusioned never had his question answered.  Ironhorse blanked him.

But as I said above, Prof.  Don't take his dodging personally.  This is just Ironhorse being his usual selfish self.

We shine the spotlight on his dodging so that the lurkers see how he conducts himself.

He knows this and still doesn't care how many wavering brothers in Christ his dodging tips over into unbelief.

All that matters to him is keeping his precious faith intact and safe from inquiry.

By dodging.

20161.png

I didn't really expect you to answer, because you can't.

You cant actually do it honestly.

Yes, no, maybe, my ass. Your book says otherwise and you ignore it.