Goodbye Jesus

Gravitational Waves. (Hopefully...not Another False Alarm.)

bornagainathiest

BAA,

...............I therefore think we can say that were he alive today, he'd be just as open to persuasion.

So, whatever doubts he expressed should be seen in the context of his readiness to be persuaded by evidence.

..................Yes, the sign of a true scientist; one who is able to change his mind based upon new evidence. A good example for all others who claim to be scientists or open-minded, including myself  eek.gif

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

ficino,

.....Darwin converted on his deathbed!

Since I saw no happy face in your statement I will assume that your questions above were sincere and not just joking around. In this light I will give you answers. But if you were just putting us on then that would be OK too smile.png

"How I wish I had not expressed my theory of evolution as I have done." He went on to say that he would like her to gather a congregation since he "would like to speak to them of Christ Jesus and His salvation, being in a state where he was eagerly savoring the heavenly anticipation of bliss."

And why do we still have monkeys?

Pantheory, you wound me! Any long-time ex-Christian who raises the existence of monkeys as a stroke against the ToE is satirizing fundies, dontcha think?

Anyway, I was.

Exciting to see Einstein's photo on the front page of the NY Times today.

ficino,

.....Darwin converted on his deathbed!

Since I saw no happy face in your statement I will assume that your questions above were sincere and not just joking around. In this light I will give you answers. But if you were just putting us on then that would be OK too smile.png

"How I wish I had not expressed my theory of evolution as I have done." He went on to say that he would like her to gather a congregation since he "would like to speak to them of Christ Jesus and His salvation, being in a state where he was eagerly savoring the heavenly anticipation of bliss."

And why do we still have monkeys?

Pantheory, you wound me! Any long-time ex-Christian who raises the existence of monkeys as a stroke against the ToE is satirizing fundies, dontcha think?

Anyway, I was.

Exciting to see Einstein's photo on the front page of the NY Times today.

Glad to hear that you were just being satirical; I should have known sad.png

Then for lurkers my explanations may have been helpful, I hope.

Einstein's picture on the front page of the N.Y. Times,  cool!  Darwin's picture should be there too since it was his birthday the 12th of Feb.

Great news for physics.

Remember doing an essay on gravitiational waves when an undergraduate. Can remember coming across the likes of LIGO back then, though wasn't expecting too much from it as thought it would need to be so sensitve to pick up any gravitiational waves there would be massive amounts of background noise. (What happened to the space-based LISA interferometer?)

I'm pretty sure there was a possible, but very disputed detection coming from the SN 1987A supernova, way back when, but it's good to have definite confirmation. [EDIT: didn't notice the mention already!]

Great news for physics.

Remember doing an essay on gravitiational waves when an undergraduate. Can remember coming across the likes of LIGO back then, though wasn't expecting too much from it as thought it would need to be so sensitve to pick up any gravitiational waves there would be massive amounts of background noise. (What happened to the space-based LISA interferometer?)

I'm pretty sure there was a possible, but very disputed detection coming from the SN 1987A supernova, way back when, but it's good to have definite confirmation. [EDIT: didn't notice the mention already!]

This paper of interest, Lyniezian?

http://articles.adsabs.harvard.edu/full/1989ARA%26A..27..629A

What's also going to be interesting is to see how the detection technology develops. Twenty years from now folks may consider the gear that detected this laughingly crude, just as Galileo's telescope, by today's standards, is almost unusable.

• Like 1