Goodbye Jesus

Becoming Like Little Children

thunderbolt

I just struck me today that Jesus' instruction for us to become like “little children” have nothing to do with receiving the “kingdom” – whatever the heck that is – but about keeping our minds in an impressionable state for religious imprinting. I appreciate that many of you already concluded this, but it was an epiphany of sorts for me.

It's only when we grow up and take accountability for our own lives that we no longer need imaginary friends to comfort or reward us. And we certainly don't have to take the words or guidance of our parents and peers without question. But I suspect most people are lazy and love to be spoon-fed with the answers of life. They would much rather defer to an antiquated book and men in robes for the meaning and purpose of life than living out the meaning for themselves.

It makes therefore perfect sense that Jesus (the Church) would appeal that we remain naïve and ignorant to figuring out life for ourselves. Children ask a ton of questions, but they unreservedly accept the advice of those entrusted with their education. It's only when “they” can feed us the answers that “they” have jurisdiction in our lives. They need us to “die” to humanness in exchange for something which is by definition inhuman.

For me there is such a peace to be free from this religious nonsense. The torment has been over for some time now, but there is a magnificent new color in my rainbow, and you have to see it to know what I mean.

Note: All Regularly Contributing Patrons enjoy Ex-Christian.net advertisement free.

You know something, I never thought about that..... dang! That does shed a new light on the matter. He (meaning Jesus) would love for us to be like children. For example, the belief in Santa Claus, children believe with their whole hearts that he exists simply because mom and dad said so. That is the same mind set that Jesus and the church would like us to be in.... do this and that simply because Jesus/pastor/bible says so.

As a Christian, because I didn't think that God wanted us to have blind faith like a child, I always saw it a little differently. Children don't have as many biases and they are more caring towards other human beings (at least the children I have come into contact with).

Looking back, if the Bible was written to control, then this is one of the prime verses used for that control.

Personally I always interpreted that to mean we should come to him with the trust of a child. Which is dangerous, because he doesn't exist. IMO, this is why almost each and every day on ex-christian.net there is another news article of some pastor, priest, etc. arrested for molesting, raping, stealing money, etc. I doubt this would happen so often if more people acted like critical thinking adults instead of children....

I just struck me today that Jesus' instruction for us to become like “little children” have nothing to do with receiving the “kingdom” –

We interpret scipture with scripture, it's called hermanuetics...

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways" (1 Cor. 13:11).

Oh wait.. Jesus tells us to become like children, and Paul tells us to grow the fuck up. Screw it, pass the bottle.

Personally I always interpreted that to mean we should come to him with the trust of a child. Which is dangerous, because he doesn't exist. IMO, this is why almost each and every day on ex-christian.net there is another news article of some pastor, priest, etc. arrested for molesting, raping, stealing money, etc. I doubt this would happen so often if more people acted like critical thinking adults instead of children....

Sooooo true! Maybe half of that crap would not have happened. It is so simple for pastors, or whoever in authority, to take advantage of someone with a child-like mind.....and like you mentioned, taking advantage of children themselves. It is a dangerous thing to be too trusting. I believe that is what most pastors/churches count on...so they can get whatever they want out of you....your time, your mind, your money, your life, all for the name of their god.

Just my thoughts.

I just struck me today that Jesus' instruction for us to become like “little children” have nothing to do with receiving the “kingdom” – whatever the heck that is – but about keeping our minds in an impressionable state for religious imprinting.

It's all about the men who created the Bible and wanted to create an impressionable state of people so they could control them, and stay fat & happy in their corner lofts.

I attended a sermon once where the minister used the "become like children" bit in an interesting manner that should have sent chills down every adult's spine.

In essence, he pointed out what was expected of children back in the ancient world to some degree (he left out all the hard work, beatings, and death).

Anyway, the part about being manipulated, er, educated was one of his points. But since that fits with what someone else says, I'll get to his next point.

The other point he made was that children, being small and inferior to adults, were expected to always do what they were told, usually without question. He went on to say that this is what Jesus was referring to when he spoke those words.

Needless to say, not only does the church use this "become like children" as a means of control, they even admit it to the congregation. As if I didn't have enough of a problem with the church to begin with.

I just struck me today that Jesus' instruction for us to become like “little children” have nothing to do with receiving the “kingdom” –

We interpret scipture with scripture, it's called hermanuetics...

"When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child when I became an adult, I put an end to childish ways" (1 Cor. 13:11).

Oh wait.. Jesus tells us to become like children, and Paul tells us to grow the fuck up. Screw it, pass the bottle.

:)Hi Spamandham! I love your post here! :lmao:

Yet... think of how the 'letter of the word' of the religous right were in those days... like the 'fundamentalist' religous right of these days. :(

If we could only tell them to come and examine truth as a little child... not thinking they already know everything! THINK with an open mind, no conclusions that set limits and boundaries on what is so... to be ever learning and refining your knowledge.

Now, to think that the serpent talks, that Noah had an ark that held two of every animal in the world (ugh... I use to consider this might be true), that Jonah was swallowed by a big fish, etc., then stop thinking these childish ways now that you're an adult!

IDK, it seems to make sense to me...

But hey, I'm no authority... and definitely like the idea of passing the bottle. :wicked:

:)Hi Spamandham! I love your post here! :lmao:

:beer:

Yet... think of how the 'letter of the word' of the religous right were in those days... like the 'fundamentalist' religous right of these days. :(

The funny thing is, the earliest Christians were mystics. They knew that what they were writing was symbolic and not literal. We know this not only from the dead sea scrolls, but also by the mystical symbolism common at the time that fills the pages of the New Testament. A concrete example is the 153 fish of John 21. 153 was known as 'the number of the fish' by the Pythagoreans, and had mystical significance. It isn't clear how this was lost, but it probably had to do with Christianity becoming a political force that needed to be spread by any mechanism. Mysticism takes years of practice to appreciate. Any one can understand literalism.

Now, to think that the serpent talks, that Noah had an ark that held two of every animal in the world (ugh... I use to consider this might be true), that Jonah was swallowed by a big fish, etc., then stop thinking these childish ways now that you're an adult!

Goofball young earth Christians are the only people on earth who take these stories as literally true. Jews do not, and it isn't clear they ever did.

But hey, I'm no authority... and definitely like the idea of passing the bottle. :wicked:

...what about the idea of spinning the bottle? :wicked:

:lmao:

:scratch:

:yellow:Hi Spamandham!

The funny thing is, the earliest Christians were mystics. They knew that what they were writing was symbolic and not literal. We know this not only from the dead sea scrolls, but also by the mystical symbolism common at the time that fills the pages of the New Testament. A concrete example is the 153 fish of John 21. 153 was known as 'the number of the fish' by the Pythagoreans, and had mystical significance. It isn't clear how this was lost, but it probably had to do with Christianity becoming a political force that needed to be spread by any mechanism. Mysticism takes years of practice to appreciate. Any one can understand literalism.

I was speaking of the typical judgemental Pharisee of those times as being the religous right, certainly not the original Christians. They were as you've said, and rather peaceful rebels against this religous right.

Goofball young earth Christians are the only people on earth who take these stories as literally true. Jews do not, and it isn't clear they ever did.

It seems that many of these Jews did take these stories literally, as it is referred to in the Bible at that time as people doing so...

Titus 1:13 This witness is true. Wherefore * * * rebuke them sharply, that they may be sound in the faith; 14 Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

Now... the bottle is spinning, spinning, spinning.... :wicked:

:scratch:

Wait, wait, wait... let's drink it ALL first! :grin:

:68: