Goodbye Jesus

Indoctrinated By "christian" Music

JenniferG

Here's a version of it that includes the story behind the song.

When my brother died, and just a week later I still had to get up there and sing for the almighty Jebus, there were songs I couldn't sing. There were some I was surprised that I couldn't sing, and there were some where I was surprised I could sing.

After his death, I could never get through this song without tearing up, or not being able to sing part of it.

Because I was so angry and when I would sing

He is jealous for me

Loves like a hurricane, I am a tree

Bending beneath the wind and the waves of his mercy

and

We are his portion and he is our prize

Drawn to redemption and the grace in his eyes

If grace is an ocean we're all sinking

because I was so pissed. And I felt nothing but silence. The silence of god. The silence of my superiors. Nothing.

Sorry. Sometimes it still gets me. Ha.

Yes, I still get the songs in my head for no apparent reason. Sometimes they stay there all day.

I've come to see it as kind of funny. I just sing along now and laugh at the words. And, as often as I can, snicker at the double entendres, and subtly change the words to make them more blatant.

Look, we spent most of our lives doing one thing, and then we abruptly stopped. We can't expect that the memories and habits will be gone immediately. It took about a year for me to stop having the impulse to pray all the time. I still have passages of scripture randomly pop into my head. And then there's the song thing. These are all nothing to be concerned about. Try to smile about it and carry on.

'He gives us takeaway,

He gives us takeaway,

My heart will learn to say

He gives us takeaway.

Blessed be the name of the Lord

Blessed be his name

Blessed be his glorious name'

I sing this in my head when we get KFC or when pizza is delivered :-)

• Like 1

Nice! Matt Redman.

There's a song where he sings the line "once again I thank you, once again I pour out my life" and for the longest time my wife thought it was "once again I thank you, once again I pull out my eye...." :D

• Like 1

Well, it could be that, if you're supposed to poke out your eye if it's making you sin... :)

• Like 1

Word! Eh?

It's easy to get sick of xian music, especially when you've been to church services where they've decided that singing the same one song for an entire fucking hour is a good idea...

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Leah

You're probably right that Christian music seems to be a tool to brainwash the gullible. Many modern day Christian songs are not even written by "Christians".

it's been a while since it's happened to me, but sometimes a random song i remember from church will play in my head...usually one that i had sung obsessively as a believer.It doesn't bother me too much though. It used to..when I first deconverted. But now that I'm comfortable with not being a Christian anymore, it doesn't even phase me, and it tends to go away fast

Yes, I still get the songs in my head for no apparent reason. Sometimes they stay there all day.

I've come to see it as kind of funny. I just sing along now and laugh at the words. And, as often as I can, snicker at the double entendres, and subtly change the words to make them more blatant.

Look, we spent most of our lives doing one thing, and then we abruptly stopped. We can't expect that the memories and habits will be gone immediately. It took about a year for me to stop having the impulse to pray all the time. I still have passages of scripture randomly pop into my head. And then there's the song thing. These are all nothing to be concerned about. Try to smile about it and carry on.

'He gives us takeaway,

He gives us takeaway,

My heart will learn to say

He gives us takeaway.

Blessed be his name

Blessed be his glorious name'

I sing this in my head when we get KFC or when pizza is delivered :-)

oh no it's stuck in my head lmao

• Like 1

I have found it therapeutic and fun to put different and irreverent lyrics to the xtian musice when it pops in my head.