Goodbye Jesus

"nonbelievers Cannot Understand The Bible"

SkepticalDaniel

Being able to comprehend a story has nothing to do with whether or not someone is atheist or Christian. Unfortunately some Christians think they're special snowflakes for being the only ones who know what God is telling them through a book.

• Like 1

Writing in the bible, especially Paul's, is just a lot of sophistry. It uses high-sounding language like the verse you posted to hide that it makes no sense, and convince Christians that because it sounds fancy, it must be right.

• Like 1

Being able to comprehend a story has nothing to do with whether or not someone is atheist or Christian. Unfortunately some Christians think they're special snowflakes for being the only ones who know what God is telling them through a book.

I like the "special snowflakes" description.  May I use it?

I like the "special snowflakes" description.  May I use it?

By all means, go ahead.

It's one of the most common forms of anti-logic used to shield a bad idea from criticism.

1. I am right.

2. Therefore everyone who disagrees with me is wrong.

3. Therefore anyone who tries to point out how I am not right cannot possibly do so, and is wrong.

4. Therefore, I am right.

As obviously stupid this form of reasoning is when put that way, it's actually maddeningly frequent. Not just in religion but in pretty much all flawed philosophical and political beliefs you can find someone who uses a form of it. For instance when regressive leftists call anyone who disagrees with them a bigot, and therefore cannot possibly discredit what they are saying, they are committing the same error in reasoning.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

My problem with this sentiment is easily expressed in the form of the following question:

What happened to all of the "understanding" I had concerning god's word when I was a christian? Did it suddenly just vanish from my brain like the wispy half-dreams of early morning awakenings?

• Like 1

My problem with this sentiment is easily expressed in the form of the following question:

What happened to all of the "understanding" I had concerning god's word when I was a christian? Did it suddenly just vanish from my brain like the wispy half-dreams of early morning awakenings?

Right, but you know as well as I that they'll just pull a No True Scotsman on you.

Guest Furball

As mark twain once said, it's not the parts of the bible that I don't understand that trouble me, it's the parts that I do understand. The bible, like any cult propaganda, has built in deflections/rebuttals for non believers. Think science proves the bible wrong (it does) well then just throw 1 timothy 6:20. Don't believe in god, resort to psalm 14:1. The bible is replete with "comebacks" against anyone who doesn't believe what it says, thereby locking the the duped believer into the thinking the bible is accurate in what it says. The bible's excuses for people not believing are purely and simply embarrassing. Christianity doesn't have a leg to stand on anymore. Since the bible has been thoroughly debunked from beginning to end, anything it has to say can just be dismissed as fictional non-sense. 

Guest Furball

Also, non believers know EXACTLY what the bible says. It's already been shown in countless surveys that the atheist knows more about the bible and what it says than the actual believer themselves. Since the believer doesn't have a single shred of evidence to back up the bible's false claims, all they have to go on are bible verses that aren't based on any truth. All the believer can do is make false claims and false accusations leaving the atheist justified and the christian, well...looking like an idiot. 

• Super Moderator

But if I was "No True Scotsman" then how did I have the understanding I had?

Not to worry. We just had a delivery of wigglies arrive this morning. You see sir/ma'am, you were never a true xtian in the first place. That'll be $19.95 plus tax. You want paper or plastic?

• Super Moderator

Again, where did my "understanding" come from if I weren't a "true" christian?

Never meant to imply you were wrong, I'm simply pointing out the typical apologist "rebuttal".

Like the other poster suggests, I get your point and I agree completely.

The premise of people portrayed by the OP is total bullshit. Stay skeptical, Daniel!!

If non believers can't understand the bible..then how did christians understand it before they converted? If it was true that non believers can't understand the bible, then it's implying that you must have blind faith in a book you haven't read before it can make any sense.

WHAAAAAT

• Like 1

while everyone else is fucked and burns for all eternity because they didn't understand.