Goodbye Jesus

"this Generation Shall Not Pass..."

SkepticalDaniel

I believe this phrase was said by Jesus the Grey to the Balrog.  He later returns as Jesus the White.

mwc

• Like 2

I believe this phrase was said by Jesus the Grey to the Balrog.  He later returns as Jesus the White.

mwc

Hahaha! I love this.

Thanks. It still blows my mind that so many people fall for the ridiculous spins that apologists put on it when it's so blatantly clear what's being said in the chapter.

Citsonga, I notice that Matthew 24:29 states, "Immediately after the suffering of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven will be shaken". The darkening of the sun and the moon not giving light can perhaps refer to eclipses. But the stars falling from heaven seems difficult to explain being fulfilled, if taken literally and implying that the stars would fall to the earth from heaven. Relevation 12:4 would seem to support an interpretation that stars falling from heaven would fall to the earth.

Thanks. It still blows my mind that so many people fall for the ridiculous spins that apologists put on it when it's so blatantly clear what's being said in the chapter.

Citsonga, I notice that Matthew 24:29 states, "Immediately after the suffering of those days the sun will be darkened, and the moon will not give its light; the stars will fall from heaven, and the powers of heaven will be shaken". The darkening of the sun and the moon not giving light can perhaps refer to eclipses. But the stars falling from heaven seems difficult to explain being fulfilled, if taken literally and implying that the stars would fall to the earth from heaven. Relevation 12:4 would seem to support an interpretation that stars falling from heaven would fall to the earth.

Yeah, that's one of the problems demonstrating that the Bible is merely the writings of mortal men who didn't understand the universe. The stars falling to earth would've made perfect sense with the old view that stars were basically just bright dots. Now that we realize that they're enormous balls of fire, it's painfully obvious that the prediction cannot be fulfilled.

SkepticalDaniel, did you get a chance to read my post above? I hope it's helpful for you.

Yes, I did. In fact, Matthew 24 is actually something that played a part in my de-conversion.

SkepticalDaniel, I hope my post #5 on Isaiah 53 helped you out too - I think the author tried to get you and other readers primed by thinking of how Isaiah 53 is an amazing fulfilled prophecy about the messiah. But that is an appeal to a midrash interpretation, as the rest of Isaiah clearly states that Israel is the suffering servant. A Christian not aware of the broader context surrounding Isaiah 53 will easily see this chapter as being about Jesus.

• Like 1

Yeah, that's one of the problems demonstrating that the Bible is merely the writings of mortal men who didn't understand the universe. The stars falling to earth would've made perfect sense with the old view that stars were basically just bright dots. Now that we realize that they're enormous balls of fire, it's painfully obvious that the prediction cannot be fulfilled.

Right, the Bible makes much more sense when acknowledging that it was a product of the time in which it was written. They looked up into the night sky and saw the stars as these little dots of light.

• Like 1