Goodbye Jesus

Dad Trying To Encourage Me To Go To Church

Guest jasper04

Guest jasper04

Nevermind that he has never been a part of my life, and never calls to see how his ONLY grandchildren are doing, but I just hate it when others try to convince me to go to church. He has been such a horrible father, and an even worse grandfather. It just feels weird now, when he finally calls for the first time(since my granny-his mother died) and suddenly mentions that I should give church a try. Maybe this is the first step he's taking, to try to be a good father, but I just feel like telling him don't be concerned, if I go to church. In our conversation he never once apologized for all of the horrible things he's done, including something so awful that happened at the time of my granny's death. Next time when he calls if he asks me the church question again, I am going to tell him what he can do to be a better father and grandfather. I need to be more brave and tell people how I really feel.

Definitely be honest with him and tell him how you feel. But don't dwell in your bitterness... perhaps the conversation will lead way to reconciliation. Most people really don't like knowing they have hurt their families, so give him an honest chance to apologize by letting him know how you've been hurt. If he doesn't take the hint, then I don't blame you for being upset... but if he does, like you said, maybe he will try to be the father that he wasn't able to be before. As people get older, they have a tendency to want to reconcile all the mistakes of their past... maybe that time is coming around for your dad. You can hope, at least... until you know otherwise. :)

*hugs*

Church isnt that bad though if faced with the choice I'd never go back again. I have to every Sunday morning and have grown used to lol to it though I'm an atheist. It's just time for daydreaming to me.

Church isnt that bad though if faced with the choice I'd never go back again. I have to every Sunday morning and have grown used to lol to it though I'm an atheist. It's just time for daydreaming to me.

Daydreaming can be done in a much more positive venue than church. I say if you go, challenge them. Otherwise, you're just adding to their numbers & thoughts that they've got a chance to convert you.

Daydreaming can be done in a much more positive venue than church. I say if you go, challenge them. Otherwise, you're just adding to their numbers & thoughts that they've got a chance to convert you.

I cant help it. my Dad makes me go. And yes my Dad has told me everyone there prays for my salvation. Yes my Dad knows im an atheist too. It's a southern Baptist church where a lot of bs is taught. :lmao:

Isn't that nice? Your dad thinks if he makes you do something......that once you have a choice you will keep doing it. :HaHa:

It's enough to make you wonder how the hell parents somehow get amnesia about being a teenager.

Do they think if they throw enough christian-ese at you, that it will somehow stick?

All you are learning from your dad is that he has no respect for your own beliefs. Greeeat way to get through to young people. Yeah......that works all the time, doesn't it? :Doh:

I cant help it. my Dad makes me go. And yes my Dad has told me everyone there prays for my salvation. Yes my Dad knows im an atheist too. It's a southern Baptist church where a lot of bs is taught. :lmao:

So I take it you're financially beholden to him some how?

Otherwise, why would you let him force you?

So I take it you're financially beholden to him some how?

Otherwise, why would you let him force you?

Yes and he wants to make me go in college too when I come home on the weekends so I guess I may have to endure it during then too. Though some weekends I may not come home.

BW, do other church people know you are atheist? It would be interesting to me to see what happens if word gets out there.