Goodbye Jesus

I Can Understand The Reasons To Believe In A Higher Power/energy. But Why Would It Specifically Be The Christian Bible God?

Lyra

"I believe the bible is true because it says it's true". Sorry Ironhorse; this is not a valid form of reasoning.

If I believe in Christ, then to me it is a reason.

A Muslim or a Sikh or a Mormon can believe in their particular deity, making it a reason for them.

Why should we not believe them, Ironhorse?

If you are looking for an answer, go and check out what they believe.

What you decide to believe is your choice. 

To me, this earth and what I see and just faintly understand of this universe are reasons to me to believe God exists.

I’m betting my life on this and God’s message as revealed in the scriptures

"I believe the bible is true because it says it's true". Sorry Ironhorse; this is not a valid form of reasoning.

If a Muslim believes in Allah, then to him it is a reason. 

If a Sikh believes in Akal Purakh, then to him it is a reason.

If a Jew believes in Yahweh, then to him it is a reason.

By making your 'reason' purely subjective, you have established a level playing field for all religious beliefs, Ironhorse.

Can you give an objective reason why Christianity is true?

Hint :  This cannot be faith-based.

A Muslim or a Sikh or a Mormon can believe in their particular deity, making it a reason for them.

To me, this earth and what I see and just faintly understand of this universe are reasons to me to believe God exists.

Purely subjective, Ironhorse!

Got even one objective reason for believing what you do?

There are no Muslims, Sikhs, Mormons or Jews in the Lion's Den, Ironhorse.  

But YOU are here.  

So, I'm asking YOU why Christianity is objectively true.

Guest Furball

People who believe in god will automatically default to the religion of their region. If it's in utah, theists will default to mormonism, India, default hinduism. Christianity is a major religion, so the typical theist will default to that set of beliefs simply out of convenience or family upbringing or because their location is here in the western world where the man made religion of christ-insanity runs rampant. 

To me the Christian message is simple. Of all the religions and belief systems I have read about, it is the easiest to grasp and the most fascinating to study and apply to my life.

This is an argument I have heard before, that the simplicity of the Christian message can be a reason for its validity. But simplicity does not address whether or not that message is actually true. How would a message that might be simple (for some) to grasp mean that the message must be true?

Why not believe in love, love is real.

To me the Christian message is simple. Of all the religions and belief systems I have read about, it is the easiest to grasp and the most fascinating to study and apply to my life.

This is an argument I have heard before, that the simplicity of the Christian message can be a reason for its validity. But simplicity does not address whether or not that message is actually true. How would a message that might be simple (for some) to grasp mean that the message must be true?

Someone could say "The book Harry Potter is real and was based on real ancient events that you have to believe are true, or else you will be tortured forever by Voldemort after you die."

Similarly, someone could say "2+2=5" or "Freedom is slavery."

These are simple statements too. But being simple does not make them true.

Hello again Ironhorse.

For the sake of simplicity I've merged the questions I put to you in a number of posts into this one message.

Belief in what you cannot see, in what you can give no evidence for and for which you can make no logical argument is... reasonable?

(Please note that the word 'reasonable' should not be taken subjectively, as meaning reasonable only to you.)

Can you please give an objective reason why Christianity is true?

What objective reason can you give as to why we should accept your beliefs over those of a Muslim, a Sikh or a Mormon?

Thanks,

BAA

Hello again Ironhorse.

For the sake of simplicity I've merged the questions I put to you in a number of posts into this one message.

Belief in what you cannot see, in what you can give no evidence for and for which you can make no logical argument is... reasonable?

(Please note that the word 'reasonable' should not be taken subjectively, as meaning reasonable only to you.)

Can you please give an objective reason why Christianity is true?

What objective reason can you give as to why we should accept your beliefs over those of a Muslim, a Sikh or a Mormon?

Thanks,

BAA

(Bump!)

Thanks for bumping, BornAgainAtheist. I'm looking forward to the answers. :)

Thanks for bumping, BornAgainAtheist. I'm looking forward to the answers. smile.png

So am I, Lyra.

Are you there, Ironhorse?

• Super Moderator

The Bible creates the Christ character and then you use that character as a reason to believe the Bible that created the character. This is why there can be no real dialogue between true believers and skeptics. It's too frustrating to contemplate.

Bump! (BornAgainAtheist and I are both happily waiting for Ironhorse)