Goodbye Jesus

Ironhorse & Originalclay Are You Still Afraid Of Hell?

quinntar

Ironhorse,

You say that god is just and fair.  I also used to believe that; I believed that god's justice was also tempered by mercy, hence christ's atoning sacrifice.  But I'd like you to consider whether god's justice really is just--whether he really is fair.

It has been estimated that some 20 million people died under the ruthless hand of Josef Stalin; 50 million under Mao Tse-tung.  We could also discuss Hitler, Ratko Mladic, Pol Pot and many others.  These deranged men were at the helm of some of the most brutal regimes in history; responsible for some of the most hideous atrocities ever committed.  Genocide, rape, systematic murder... "crimes against humanity" doesn't even begin to describe the insane havoc wrought upon the pages of humanity by these men and their underlings.

For their crimes, for their sins, the justice god has prescribed is eternity in hell.

This is the same "justice" god would mete out to me--a simple son of The South, a lover of Cheerwine... a friend of yours.

Is this truly "just"?  Is it really "fair"?  That I should suffer the same fate as the butcher of the Jews?  That I should spend eternity with the architects of genocide, the progenitors of mass rape?  

Is this justice tempered by mercy?

SINcerely,

TheRedneckProfessor

So, Ironhorse, what do you reckon?

I reckon, from what I read in the scriptures is that God is merciful and patient.

God's judgement will be fair and right.

Not one person will have an excuse for rejecting his love. (Romans 1:20)

Romans 1 : 20

20 For since the creation of the world God’s invisible qualities—his eternal power and divine nature—have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

If God's invisible qualities are objective facts that are clearly seen by everyone, then please present these objective facts.

Please note that if faith is required to see them, then they are not objective facts.

Objective facts (like gravity) are true for everyone, regardless of anyone's belief or disbelief in them.

Please present the objective facts of God's invisible qualities, Ironhorse.

Thanks,

BAA.

• Super Moderator

Ironhorse,

I am disappointed in your response, or rather, lack thereof. You stated that god is just and fair. When I countered this idea with a logical argument, you simply reiterated that god is just and fair. I would appreciate a little more effort on your part in actively engaging the arguments I present.

Have a good day,

TheRedneckProfessor

PostScript: You also implied in your response that it will be the unbelievers' fault when they meet with god's "justice". I'd like to explore this idea further; but first we need to establish whether god's justice really is just. Please consider my argument.