Goodbye Jesus

Traditions That Have Remained ....

Alice

As a family we have followed the tradition of 'giving something up for Lent' - generally the thing given up has been something that can distract from family life and the purposae has been to spend more time together in family activities.

So the TV is going, but my daughter has pointed out that we don't spend so much time watching TV these days, so this year MSN and forums are going too ...

This is my way of saying I won't be posting for the next forty days ... see you all at Easter!! Its been grand and I'll miss the wonderful discussions and terrific support! :wub: I'd rather we were giving up chocolate!

Goodbye Jesus

I'd rather we were giving up chocolate!

:eek: Hey! Let's not go overboard! :lmao:

Have fun (or whatever), Alice.

As a family we have followed the tradition of 'giving something up for Lent' - generally the thing given up has been something that can distract from family life and the purposae has been to spend more time together in family activities.

So the TV is going, but my daughter has pointed out that we don't spend so much time watching TV these days, so this year MSN and forums are going too ...

This is my way of saying I won't be posting for the next forty days ... see you all at Easter!! Its been grand and I'll miss the wonderful discussions and terrific support! :wub: I'd rather we were giving up chocolate!

Good-bye Alice... enjoy your family.

My habits for lent have been to do the best I can on letting go of some heavy or negative aspect of my personality. ;)

Last year I tried to let go of sarcasim, I'm a mother of 3 children. It didn't go so well. :lmao: But, I'd like to think I improved some in that area. :)

This year I'm working on knee jerk responses to life. We'll see how I do. :shrug:

At any rate ... I look forward to talking with you again in 40 days.

Oh just give up chocolate. It's much easier. :grin:

I think I will give up Christianity for 40 days. :mellow:

:HaHa:

We didn't really do Lent, I grew up Assemblies of God... Is that the one where people have ashed on my head? It was kind of weird to me then, even strange to me now...

It's funny when I think about it, as much as we have already "chosen" to abstain from out of a feeling of duty to God, then we have to give up even more for 40 days? God is like Deebo (for those of you who have seen "Friday")...

Can I give up Americanisms for 40 days?

Think I'll give up some of this old 9X19mm Nato ammo thats been sitting around since, oh last year..

Offerings to John Moses Browning for lent...

Ahh, Blessed Smoke an' Noise!

kL

Think I'll give up some of this old 9X19mm Nato ammo thats been sitting around since, oh last year..

kL

hey, does that fit a Makarov? I'll take it off yer hands since yer giving things away and all.....

kL

hey, does that fit a Makarov? I'll take it off yer hands since yer giving things away and all.....

Sorry trashmeister.. Tha'd be 9X18ComBlok for the Mak..

Gotta appeal to the gods of SmokeNNOise, if not given offerings weekly I loose my connection Browning Himself.. Begin to channel lesser Designers and then have to re-load with JMB with MORE ammo burnings..

Wait! Thats BAD, how? :)

"Bim, bim, salimin, onibus, omnibus, umm, BOINK!"

"BLAMMO!"

"All better now!"

Ahhhh! Lent!

kL

Oh the farty days are here again. Ah well, it just means were going to be eating a lot of fish. I love fish

I think I will give up Christianity for 40 days. :mellow:

:HaHa:

Let's extend that 40 days into forever!

My coworkers and I got into a discussion about Lent today. I warned them that I would

show up tomorrow with a pocket full of dryer lint and tape it on my forehead. We'll see

how that goes over. I'm just celebrating Lint in my own way. :HaHa:

I asked a catholic girl I work with if sailors celebrate "navel lint". She wasn't amused.

She's a good sport though.

Last year I tried to let go of sarcasim, I'm a mother of 3 children. It didn't go so well. :lmao: But, I'd like to think I improved some in that area. :)

I know exactly how you feel. Good luck on that. :grin:

"Lint" I love it! Thanks for making me laugh! :lmao:

I grew up in the Assemblies of God, too. They never did Lent. I got into it a bit when I was in the Episcopal church.

Sorry, I don't get it, if you're not an xian now, what's the point of giving something up for 40 days? Aren't you now free of such obligations?

I can understand trying to establish new habits, though I've heard that if you start something new, say flossing every day or an exercise program or watching less TV, it only takes about two weeks for it to become a normal part of your routine.

Some activities are addictive and can be hard to give up, so maybe giving something up for 40 days can give your good intentions a boost. I mean, I'm new to hanging out on discussion boards, but this one is very addictive :grin: I took today off to do laundry and housework before leaving tomorrow on a weekend trip. Well, it's 10:20am Pacific Time and all I've done is eat breakfast and hang out here. :Look:

Evelyn-- I have the same problem! I should be studying and cleaning... but the boards call me. ;)

Lent....amusing story about that....see today's blog entry. ;)

http://libbychic.braveblog.com/

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

THAT was hilarious! And..now I'm curious.."half-Catholic?"

Today at work, we offerred grilled chicken sammiches and fish sammiches, for those doing lent. I was amazed at the number of kids who took fish! I don't think it had much to do with lent though. They just don't care for grilled chicken.

We were going to run out and one of my ladies says "I just cannot eat chicken! I can't eat meat today! I MUST have fish!"

I kinda looked at her like.. :huh:

She got her fish..actually, we all had fish. The chicken kinda got dry..and I like fish..

I never did the give something up for lent thing..it makes no sense to me. Not now, not when I was a xtian..

Lent....amusing story about that....see today's blog entry. ;)

http://libbychic.braveblog.com/

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

THAT was hilarious! And..now I'm curious.."half-Catholic?"

Today at work, we offerred grilled chicken sammiches and fish sammiches, for those doing lent. I was amazed at the number of kids who took fish! I don't think it had much to do with lent though. They just don't care for grilled chicken.

We were going to run out and one of my ladies says "I just cannot eat chicken! I can't eat meat today! I MUST have fish!"

I kinda looked at her like.. :huh:

She got her fish..actually, we all had fish. The chicken kinda got dry..and I like fish..

I never did the give something up for lent thing..it makes no sense to me. Not now, not when I was a xtian..

Yea..I'm surprised my dd isn't eating fish..being half Catholic and all. :Doh: Here's the scoop. I had her by someone other than my husband, and the guy basically wrote us off and didn't want anything to do with me or the baby. I think he thought I got pregnant on purpose. We had already broken up (he moved out of town) before I found out I was having her. She knows that "Dad" is her step dad and that her biological father is English, Catholic and that his first name is John. Since he is Catholic, she must be "half Catholic"

That was good. Half catholic sounds logical in that context.

I know someone who claims to be a catholic/pentecostal. :twitch:

My first reaction was "now that's a hell of a combination". I've never asked her

to elaborate. Sometimes you just have to say "OK" and let it go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone:

Just bumping this thread up. I know Alice is still gone ... but I wanted her to know she's missed.

Since you left:

1. The Leaving Jesus thread reopened. I've missed your participation.
    http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?s=&s...ndpost&p=150345
  2. Rosa started a thread: Say something nice about another member. And I thought of you.
    http://www.ex-christian.net/index.php?s=&s...ndpost&p=153476
  3. And well I just miss your contributions period.

Can't wait till Lent is over. :(

• 4 weeks later...

Bump.... Bump....

Easter is almost here .... And soon Alice will be back so I thought I'd bump the thread back to the top. This way I can say....

Welcome Back Alice ... we missed you.

:wub:

:clap::wave:

:bounce::dance:

:D