Goodbye Jesus

My Story

kal-el

Hey everyone. I was a Christian for some 14 years of my life, not a devout one, but a Christian nontheless. I never even read the entire bible at that time. I believed that the bible was the inerrant word of God. I thought I was a bad person destined for eternal hellfire because I did not want to attend church every Sunday, usually my mother really had to coax me to go. I only was familiar with the passages that my preacher spoonfed me. It wasn't until I became of age, that I refused to go to church, and I actually sat down to read the entire bible to see what Christianity was all cracked up to be. To my astonishment, the bible was filled with absurdities, misconceptions, intolerance, and flat-out lies. I could not believe that the church pulled the wull over my eyes for all those years. Shortly after, I became a skeptical Christian, still believing in God, just not the bible, then I became an agnostic, now I'm a full-blown atheist. I continue to read from the bible to this day.

Welcome! :)

To my astonishment, the bible was filled with absurdities, misconceptions, intolerance, and flat-out lies.

It never ceases to amaze me the irony that the Bible is Christianity's own worst enemy!

Welcome Kal-el! :wave:

It wasn't until I became of age, that I refused to go to church, and I actually sat down to read the entire bible to see what Christianity was all cracked up to be.

Welcome, Kal-el!

First of all I want to say, good for you!!! Good for you for tackling the Bible head on so you could make an independent, informed, intelligent, mature and responsible decision regarding your beliefs.

I have noticed that the ones who study their way out of Christianity do a lot less, if any, second guessing. The emotions are less involved when one takes the scholarly route. The decision sticks and there's much less vacillating between faith and apostasy.

I am sure you will find this community to be full of people of like minds. Enjoy!

-Reach

Hey Kal,

Welcome to this great place. I have a few questions for you. I hope I'm not being to nosy.

1) How old were you when you deconverted?

2) What was your parents reaction?

2) Why do you still read the bible?

Looking forward to your answers,

Lorena

Welcome Kal-el!

First of all, nicely done with being able to read through all that. I've tried it in the past and was never able to get through it... Who'd have guessed that a book written by a group of men and translated up dozens of times would be so incoherent??? :grins:

You are in excellent company here... since you seem to be able to read (lol), you've got a great resource of information here.. dig in and enjoy!

-Gliph

• 8 months later...

I hope it's still not too late to respond to this, o well, better late than never I guess.

Hey Kal,

Hiya

Welcome to this great place. I have a few questions for you. I hope I'm not being to nosy.

Not at all, shoot

Probably around 21 or so.

Well, they didn't find out right away, but they definetly know now. My mother keeps on saying everyone's praying for me to see the light, and I told her the fact that I haven't come back to Christianity nomatter how many are paraying for me to, should show that there's no invisable man answering prayers.

That's a very good question. I haven't read it in quite some time, but I suppose the reason I continued to do so, was mostly to get more ammo for my arguments.

Welcome Kal-el!

Muchas gracias amigo. :grin:

First of all, nicely done with being able to read through all that. I've tried it in the past and was never able to get through it... Who'd have guessed that a book written by a group of men and translated up dozens of times would be so incoherent??? :grins:

Yea, it was hard to stomach, especially the first few books.

Welcome, Kal-el!

Thankyou. :grin:

First of all I want to say, good for you!!! Good for you for tackling the Bible head on so you could make an independent, informed, intelligent, mature and responsible decision regarding your beliefs.

I have noticed that the ones who study their way out of Christianity do a lot less, if any, second guessing. The emotions are less involved when one takes the scholarly route. The decision sticks and there's much less vacillating between faith and apostasy.

I am sure you will find this community to be full of people of like minds. Enjoy!

-Reach

Yea it's a whole lot different tackling the bible with an open mind, opposed to one that's shackled in religious taboos. Instead of making excuses for all the BS, I could actually see it for what it was.

It never ceases to amaze me the irony that the Bible is Christianity's own worst enemy!

Welcome Kal-el! :wave:

Gracias. Yea it's kinda like turning the gun against a burglar.

Welcome! :)

Thanks. :grin:

Hey Kal,

Looking forward to your answers,

Lorena

I think the reason I am studying not only the Bible but also Christian theology is to get some handle on what happened to me and why. I think that is also why I feel that I absolutely have to learn to read Greek. I have to be able to see what the New Testament REALLY says. And yes, it gives me ammo not only against other Christians but especially against the demons inside of me.