Goodbye Jesus

Looking Forward?

rising_L

I was just on the Lions Dens section and there was a thread about, what if there was no afterlife etc! I didn't read the thread, but I just had a thought.

As you may be aware I am not a Christian, and I hope to God I never will be, but I asked myself what if I never seen my family and friends again....anywhere??

My dad recently died, 4 weeks on sunday, and we had an argument the night before he died, and I have regretted it ever since. But, this is going to sound really strange and :twitch: Christian, but I hope I will get to see him again. I don't necessarly care where or when as long as its him!!

Thats why I believe in a God (Not the BuyBull God) but A god and I also believe in an afterlife of sorts, weather heaven or not, just so I can see my family and friends. Maybe I'm wrong, but I won't know for sure until I kick the Bucket my self!

Does anyone else wish to see there lost loved ones again, (Obviously) but I mean in a spirtual or afterlife sense??

Not really a rant, I know!

Sorry about the spelling 'Looking Forward'

I think everyone would like to see their family members and friends again. My dad died when I was 13, so I know exactly how you feel, but just wishing it won't cause it to happen. I don't think it's even possible that there is an afterlife where we retain our sense of individuality (or an afterlife at all), so recognizing the other person and having them recognizing you seems impossible. I just try and enjoy all my family and friends that are still alive in the here and now. It's all we can do if don't want to delude ourselves.

I'd like to believe there is an afterlife or that the essence of a person somehow continues. That's a common thing I've read on one grief discussion board. This is probably said to make a person feel better.

I'm with you, rising L, my father died two years ago. Losing a parent, even if their death is expected as it was in my dad's case, is a major blow. Hang in there!

Maybe my families weird, but we don't even have funerals. I was closer to my grandfather than even some of his children. When he passed I was crushed, but I can honestly say, I'm happy just remembering him sitting in the chair he always sat in...

My dad recently died, 4 weeks on sunday, and we had an argument the night before he died, and I have regretted it ever since. But, this is going to sound really strange and :twitch: Christian, but I hope I will get to see him again. I don't necessarly care where or when as long as its him!!

Thats why I believe in a God (Not the BuyBull God) but A god and I also believe in an afterlife of sorts, weather heaven or not, just so I can see my family and friends. Maybe I'm wrong, but I won't know for sure until I kick the Bucket my self!

:)Rising L, I know this is highly controversial... however, I do believe there is at least something like reincarnation. There is a very famous psychialtrist named Brian Wiess, head of the psychiatry department of Yale ( I think), and he accidentally stumbled onto a past life situation with one of his patients during a hypnosis treatment, regressing to a cause of a current problem. It seems this patient surprisingly spontaneously regressed into a past life.... many different ones at different times! It was very convincing to the doctor, and he claims he was timid to write of such an occurrence because it may jepardize his career, but felt the need to share this with the world. He wrote a book called Many Lives, Many Masters. It's fascinating reading, and I couldn't put it down once I started it! Although it is said that people do have a tendency to reincarnate together, there seems to not be a conscious recognition of each other in the next lives.

Rising L, a belated welcome to Ex-C! :)

I'm sorry to read of the loss of your father. My father has been undergoing various rounds of chemotherapy for three years. He may be around for another year or two but his days here are numbered and we all know that.

I don't want to let him go.

I will miss him terribly.

While I have no reason to believe that there is an afterlife, I hope there is one, for all of us, who have known and loved someone and would like to see that loved one again. There is certainly nothing wrong with wishing for things to be so.

I'm sure your father had more pleasant conversations with you over the years and while you struggle with this, understandably, I doubt he would place such importance on that very last evening.

In time, I hope your regrets will be seen in their rightful and most truthful perspective and context. Please don't beat yourself up too much; be good to yourself. I wish you peace in your time of mourning.

-Reach

Like Evelyn pointed out that belief in an afterlife is a common thing as part of the grieving process. The only thing I would offer is that to be careful that you don't let feelings of regret and loss be put on hold, hoping to be resolved for you in some afterlife. Belief in some future afterlife reunion may somewhat salve that pain of the moment, but in order to find genuine peace in this life we must deal with it all here.

In time you will move through many feelings of guilt and regret associated with the loss of a loved one. But that peace won't be found in hoping for a miraculous tomorrow. It's inside us and all around us in the world we live in today. The best way to honor the memory of a loved one is to live fully.

My condolences to you on your loss.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all your posts.

Just to let you know I'm not beating myself up about the argument the night before, I regret it, yes, but that doesn't consume me. I'm coping well and I am no more depressed that if it were payday. The main reason for this thread was to see if any non, ex christians, questioners etc etc etc thought the same? I've got my answers.

Thank you to you all!