Goodbye Jesus

Atheists Guide To Scripture

Taphophilia

Interesting site. Being a Monty Python fan, I like his banner. The theme song started running through me 'ead.

Thanks for posting it...

:bows:

Good score Taph, appreciated!

kL

At first, I thought the thread was about 'Cabella's guide to Atheism' - as in the huge outdoor sports/equipment retailer. :lmao:

Good site!

Eh... I'll take real scholarship over anything by someone explicitly arguing for or against Christianity. Tends to give you a better, more balanced picture of things.

It tends to neither really support nor deny Christianity, I've found. Most of the people who claim to have radically disproven Christianity tend to be radicals who... have really done nothing of the sort. and similarly for people who claim to have definitively proven the legitimacy of the Bible.

There are very few websites I would recommend for knowledge of the Bible and its history.

Eh... I'll take real scholarship over anything by someone explicitly arguing for or against Christianity. Tends to give you a better, more balanced picture of things.

It tends to neither really support nor deny Christianity, I've found. Most of the people who claim to have radically disproven Christianity tend to be radicals who... have really done nothing of the sort. and similarly for people who claim to have definitively proven the legitimacy of the Bible.

There are very few websites I would recommend for knowledge of the Bible and its history.

I enjoyed the site, but I completely agree. Sites like that serve a purpose for the newly deconverted.... gets some of the angst out. But when it comes to truly educating yourself, I prefer scholarship to polemics.

Edit: I went and looked at some of the non-polemic articles, and it seems that this guy has his stuff together. See http://www.goatstar.org/was-polytheism-edi...-old-testament/

I am impressed. But the polemics take away from the scholarly portion of the site. He may not be a respected scholar (or maybe he is a prof or studied it in college, he doesn't say as far as I know).

Guest Capella

Hello everyone. Thanks for the kind words about my site.

To be clear, the site is not meant to be scholastic. The articles are slanted more towards easy reading and entertainment.

Most people who have come to my website over the years probably aren't as well informed as you people appear to be. From watching the hit rates, the attrocity pages and the humor articles appear to be the most popular.

BTW, I appreciate the comments that Taphophilia has made on my website. I think they really add a lot.

Anyway, I'll try to check in occasionally here and see what you guys are up to.

take care,

Capella

http://www.goatstar.org/

Well hey hey!

I do like your site... I hope you didn't take offense to my comments. I can tell that you have studied these things. Not everyone is cut out to be a "scholar" (i.e. snobby and complicated) so I think it's great that you can inform people in a non threatening way. :)

Guest Capella

Pandora,

I didn't take any offense to your comments. I agree with what you and Ken said. I think it's a good thing to rely more on scholarly type sites, especially on these subjects. Also it's a good idea to cross-check.

And BTW, I think you guys have a good thing going on here. It's a nice change from the flame wars on usenet.

Capella

Pandora,

I didn't take any offense to your comments. I agree with what you and Ken said. I think it's a good thing to rely more on scholarly type sites, especially on these subjects. Also it's a good idea to cross-check.

And BTW, I think you guys have a good thing going on here. It's a nice change from the flame wars on usenet.

Capella

Oh... stick around. There's plenty of flame wars around here. LOL

Hi Capella,

I'm glad you stopped by.

Mythra had posted a topic concerning Ugarit and I googled it. Your site came up, that's how I found it. I thought that Ex-C's here would like it.

Taph

Did you also make the cat sites and other things you linked? Esp. the cat horoscopes?

Guest Capella

Did you also make the cat sites and other things you linked? Esp. the cat horoscopes?

No, that's my dot.

That's her Blog, or supposedly her cat's Blog. :^)

Capella

Guest Capella

Hi Capella,

I'm glad you stopped by.

Mythra had posted a topic concerning Ugarit and I googled it. Your site came up, that's how I found it. I thought that Ex-C's here would like it.

Taph

Interesting. I think the gods of the Ugarits are fascinating. I practically grew up learning about them in Sunday School without knowing where they originated. All we were told is that some of these gods were "false gods" that the Israelites tended to worship for some reason which was baffling to me.

One of things I found the strangest in the Bible when I was a young Christian was the story of the Israelites at the mountain constructing a golden calf to worship. Supposedly they had lived through plagues, the angel of death, a pillar of fire, a parting of the Red Sea, and Manna falling from heaven, but because Moses was gone for awhile they decided to start worshipping another god.

Makes no sense whatsoever. If I'd seen just one of these miracles, I'd have been sold for life.

After I got older and came out of Christianity, I learned of the documentary hypothesis and it all seemed to make a lot more sense.

Capella