Goodbye Jesus

From A Former Christian - My Big Objections To Christianity

Guest AnotherFormerChristian

As an atheist, naturally, I have many, many objections to Christianity.

Here are a few:

The Resurrection is scientifically impossible. When Jesus died on the cross, he suffered brain death. Brain death is defined as, "Irreversible brain damage and loss of brain function, as evidenced by cessation of breathing and other vital reflexes, unresponsiveness to stimuli, absence of muscle activity and a flat electroencephalogram for a specific length of time." The key word in all that is "irreversible." Jesus could not have risen from the dead after dozens of hours, because Jesus could not have recovered from brain death. Certainly, no alleged witnesses attested to a brain-dead zombie roaming the streets.

Besides brain death, dead people suffer from other negative symptoms. After dozens of hours of being dead, Jesus would be a corpse with decayed muscles, bloated from gasses, with blisters on his skin, and with millions of dead and useless cells, including dead and useless heart and kidney cells. Again, in that state, Jesus certainly would not be in any condition to roam. One of my major objections to Christianity, thus, is that The Resurrection story is scientifically impossible. Brain death, by definition, is irreversible; thus, upon suffering it, Jesus could not recover.

Another top objection of mine relates to Genesis, and the Bible’s overall take on the “creation” of the universe, Earth and human life. The scientific consensus is that the universe is about 13.7 billion years old, with an uncertainty of 200 million years. The age of the Earth is estimated to be 4.55 billion years. This immediately contradicts with Genesis, which asserts, “In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.” More than 9 billion years separate them. However, Genesis does not get any better.

Genesis’ creation account lists 10 major events in the following order. (1) a beginning; (2) a primitive earth in darkness and enshrouded in heavy gases and water; (3) light; (4) an expanse or atmosphere; (5) large areas of dry land; (6) land plants; (7) sun, moon, and stars discernible in the expanse, and seasons beginning; (8) sea monsters and flying creatures; (9) wild and tame beasts and mammals; (10) man. That’s entirely wrong.

“The real order is: (1) a beginning; (2) light; (3) sun and stars; (4) primitive earth, moon, and atmosphere; (5) dry land; (6) sea creatures; (7) some land plants; (8) land creatures and more plants and sea creatures; (9) flying creatures (insects) and more plants and land and sea creatures; (10) mammals, and more land and sea animals, insects, and plants; (11) the first birds, (12) fruiting plants (which is what Genesis talks about) and more land, sea, and flying creatures; (13) man and more of the various animals and plants.”

Source: http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CH/CH801.html

Interpreting the word “day” to mean “one billion years,” for instance, does not help at all. The timeline in Genesis is fundamentally incorrect.

With respect to evolution, the Bible’s account of “special creation” is entirely incompatible with science. Universal Common Descent is accepted by about 95% of scientists overall, and more than 99% of scientists who actually work in fields relevant to life origins, such as biology.

“Of the scientists and engineers in the United States, only about 5% are creationists, according to a 1991 Gallup poll (Robinson 1995, Witham 1997). However, this number includes those working in fields not related to life origins (such as computer scientists, mechanical engineers, etc.). Taking into account only those working in the relevant fields of earth and life sciences, there are about 480,000 scientists, but only about 700 believe in "creation-science" or consider it a valid theory (Robinson 1995). This means that less than 0.15 percent of relevant scientists believe in creationism. And that is just in the United States, which has more creationists than any other industrialized country. In other countries, the number of relevant scientists who accept creationism drops to less than one tenth of 1 percent.”

Source: http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA111.html

If one wants proof of just how widely accepted the Theory of Evolution is, just read the local newspaper. Frequently, one will see references to “30-million-year-old fossils” or “200 million years ago.” Truly, there is no debate raging in the scientific community. The debate has ended, just as the debate has ended about whether the universe is geocentric or heliocentric. However, based upon a recent survey that demonstrated some 20% of adult Americans believe in the geocentric universe model, we can conclude that a fictitious debate about settled scientific issues indeed does rage on among those not educated in the relevant fields.

Acceptance of evolution does not necessarily go along with rejection of the Christian religion. However, acceptance of evolution, as well as acceptance of other settled science, does necessarily require rejection of Genesis. Genesis and science are wholly incompatible, from Genesis’ substantially incorrect natural timeline to Genesis’ omission of Universal Common Descent to explain the appearance of humans.

Recognizing the utter scientific impossibility of The Resurrection, however, does seem necessarily to include rejection of the Christian religion. If one accepts science, one rejects The Resurrection. If one rejects The Resurrection, how can one possibly accept Christianity? If any leap of faith among Christians absolutely is required, it surely is the tremendous leap of faith that Jesus rose from the dead after a few dozen hours as a corpse. However, that's a leap of faith one who accepts science cannot take.

At this point, many Christians will cite “miracles” to explain The Resurrection. That’s inappropriate. One cannot substantiate Unsubstantiated Assertion A by appealing to Unsubstantiated Phenomenon B. In other words, one cannot cite something that’s doubtful in order to explain something that’s doubtful. My classic analogy is this: One cannot cite “Unicorn Jockeys” in order to prove the legitimacy of “Unicorns.” To use one thing to substantiate another thing, a person first must demonstrate that one of the two entities is indeed legitimate. Certainly, The Resurrection is doubtful. Certainly, the concept of a “miracle” is doubtful. Thus, one may not be used to substantiate the other.

You're basing your beliefs on science, which is the study of the natural world, hence the study of the realm Satan has control over. It's no wonder you come to these conclusions; you need to study the Word of Gawd, and learn more about the Realm Beyond Realms that your loving Heavenly Father has control over. You need more faith, my child.

In seriousness, welcome to the boards :)

The Resurrection is scientifically impossible.

Genesis’ creation account lists 10 major events in the following order. (1) a beginning; (2) a primitive earth in darkness and enshrouded in heavy gases and water; (3) light; (4) an expanse or atmosphere; (5) large areas of dry land; (6) land plants; (7) sun, moon, and stars discernible in the expanse, and seasons beginning; (8) sea monsters and flying creatures; (9) wild and tame beasts and mammals; (10) man. That’s entirely wrong.

With respect to evolution, the Bible’s account of “special creation” is entirely incompatible with science. Universal Common Descent is accepted by about 95% of scientists overall, and more than 99% of scientists who actually work in fields relevant to life origins, such as biology.

At this point, many Christians will cite “miracles” to explain The Resurrection. That’s inappropriate. One cannot substantiate Unsubstantiated Assertion A by appealing to Unsubstantiated Phenomenon B. In other words, one cannot cite something that’s doubtful in order to explain something that’s doubtful.

That sums it up. Once you think about it, you see how crazy it all is. This is the same reason I can never accept Christianity - it is simply escapism, founded on a fairy tale!

My list of reasons why I can't be a Xian anymore is running somewhere in the 400's by now. If you would permit me, I would be honored to add yours to the list as well. :thanks:

In any case, welcome to the boards. Glad you found your way out of the meme.

But but but Gawd reversed all of that! Don't you know?

My list of reasons why I can't be a Xian anymore is running somewhere in the 400's by now. If you would permit me, I would be honored to add yours to the list as well. :thanks:

In any case, welcome to the boards. Glad you found your way out of the meme.

Absolutely!

Thanks for the welcome, everybody!