Goodbye Jesus

Jesus V. Paul

YDOAPS

Whenever you post something Jesus said that a Christian doesn't like, they respond with something from Romans, or Acts, etc. that says the opposite(yes, the same christians that claim the bible is inerrant). Somehow they think that the "Letters of Paul" (most of which are not by Paul and some of which aren't even letters) override Jesus's supposed words.

Who would you believe: Jesus(the supposed son of God), or some guy that never even met Jesus?

Hmm. Decisions, decisions.

Okay. I know.

I'd believe Paul. Because I think he may have been a real person.

:woohoo:

The fun never ends around here.

:bounce:

Whenever you post something Jesus said that a Christian doesn't like, they respond with something from Romans, or Acts, etc. that says the opposite(yes, the same christians that claim the bible is inerrant). Somehow they think that the "Letters of Paul" (most of which are not by Paul and some of which aren't even letters) override Jesus's supposed words.

Who would you believe: Jesus(the supposed son of God), or some guy that never even met Jesus?

Neither actually. I've read that Jesus is likely compilation of many people, none of which are the "son of god". Paul is plagerized from Appollonuis, known as Pol of Tyana.

Paul vs Jesus? I pick Mechagodzilla, although Predator is a close second.

I like Paul better. Paul never spoke of an eternal hell. "Jesus" did.

I often refer to members of the cult as "Paulist" not "Christian" due to the fact they follow more of what supposedly Paul had to say than to what Christ had to say.

i like paul... him together with john... came out with some good songs like let it be, blackbird, and LSD haha.

nah i like paul better cause he said woman must serve man >=]

Guest uu_sage

Same here. Besides we know little of the historical Jesus of Nazareth, an enlightened philosopher, a sociopolitical revolutionary who meant to reform Judaism rather than to invent the system known as Christianity. There's the difference between the Jesus of Faith that we were brought up with and the Jesus of History. I choose the Jesus of history.

I often refer to members of the cult as "Paulist" not "Christian" due to the fact they follow more of what supposedly Paul had to say than to what Christ had to say.

are you guys familiar with one of the historical jesus figures? Yeishu ha Notzri?

check out the link: History of the Bible and Christianity

here is an excerpt:

If he was the Teacher of Righteousness referred to by the Dead Sea Scrolls, as some have suggested, his impact on the movement towards Jewish reform was considerable. And if he was the Teacher of Righteousness, it would answer a lot of interesting questions, such as the scattered first century Christian and Talmudic references to a miracle worker named Yeishu ha Notzri, known to first-century Christians as Jesus or Jesua ben Pantera. Among them are a quote from Origen, saying that his arch-rival Celsus had heard from a Jew in Jerusalem that "Jesus Ben Pantera" was born of Mary as the result of a rape by a Roman soldier named Pantera, and had borne the baby in secret (scholars now regard this belief as a first-century legend resulting from misinterpretation of the facts). That the first century Christians may have feared there was some truth to this rumor is evidenced by the fact of Mark's obvious embarrassment regarding the origins of Jesus; Mark, the first writer of a canonic gospel, never mentions Joseph as the husband of Mary. Note also that it was both the Roman custom and the custom of the Jews to include a patrilineal surname as part of a person's full name; yet nowhere in the New Testament does the surname of Jesus, (or Joseph, for that matter) appear. There is at least one Talmudic reference to Jeshu as being the illegitimate son of an adultress named Mary Magdala. There are several interesting references to a Yeishu ha Notzri (note the resemblance of the name to "Jesus of Nazareth"), who traveled around and practiced magic during the reign of Alexander Janneus, who ruled Palestine from 104 to 78 BCE. As these references are Talmudic (from the Baraitas and the Gemara), and therefore presumed by Christian scholars to be anti-Christian, Christian apologeticists have simply dismissed them as referring to someone else or being fabricated propaganda. But if they are genuine, and they really do refer to the Jesus of whom the Christians speak, they add evidence to the claim that the Jesus of Nazareth story is really based on the life of Yieshu ha Notzri, possibly the Essene "Teacher of Righteousness." Evidence points to him being the founder of the Notzri.

An interesting note here is that the version of the Talmud still used by modern Christian scholars, is normally the version known to have been heavily edited by Christians by the 16th century - presumably to remove the dangerous references to Yeishu ha Notzri and his followers, the Notzrim. But the pristine version, used by Jewish scholars, gives us some rich detail. Yeishu ha Notzri was considered by the temple authorities of the time to be a troublemaking heretic, and when they had finally had enough of him, they put him on trial. He was convicted of heresy, sentenced to wander the city for 40 days, with a crier going before him, shouting that if anyone had reason why he should not be executed, they should come forward. When no did, he was stoned to death, and his body hung from a tree on the eve of passover, in 88 B.C.E. Note the death on the eve of passover. Note also the hanging of the body from a tree - at the time, a sign of despicability, with its resemblance to the crucifixion myth.