Goodbye Jesus

My Grandma's Birthday Is Coming Up

Amethyst

My family is having a party for my grandma's 80th birthday this weekend. The thing that worries me is my fundy relatives will be there. On top of that, my dad's brother may end up carpooling with us on the way.

I'm seriously debating not going, especially since my gaming group is going to meet on Saturday, but my grandma probably won't have too many more birthdays and I really do want to see her. It would make more sense for me to carpool than drive myself, but that is another option.

Suggestions?

Go to honor your grandmother. If you don't go, it may be something you'll end up regretting. She's 80 years old. Your gaming group will still be there next time.

Sounds like you are an adult, or at least old enough to drive. Don't let fundies ( or anyone else) ruin events. I don't know the relationships between you, your dad and your uncle to give specific advice. Stay calm, read a book on the drive (assuming you're not driving... :grin: ) or bring some headphones. Change subjects of conversations, refuse to be drawn into a religous debate or converstaion.

You have control over your life. If you're not ready for the drive together, then drive yourself.

Go, enjoy the time with your grandmother. :woohoo:

I'm 30 years old and live on my own. It's just that a lot of my relatives are fundies, and that uncle in particular is fundier than the others. My parents are very moderate and mainly go to church for the social interaction, although they do treat church as a multi-vitamin that you should take regularly. (My stepmom keeps claiming it's "good for you".)

I will definitely bring my MP3 player along.

You should definitely go. :grin:

Taking any form of distraction should probably help. I run into the same thing when encountering my family and my in-laws. The topics usually don't progress down the religious path, I just kind of turn the other way if they do.

If you don't mind me asking, do they know that you are "out of the club" now? I'm sure that would make it a lot more difficult. I haven't told anyone, just for that reason... :-\

Enjoy the time with your grandmother, it will definitely be worth it!

Some of my relatives know and some don't. I haven't told the really fundy ones, nor have I told my grandma because I don't want her to worry about me. They think I'm a liberal Christian. My parents know and seem okay with it, although my stepmom still tries to get me to go to church from time to time. But as I said, she thinks of it as a multi-vitamin.

Sigh, family obligations suck. But, go see your grandmother. You'll be glad you did. Some day, she won't be around any more. And, it's only a few hours (or a day?). You will survive and go back to your life.

Sigh, family obligations suck. But, go see your grandmother. You'll be glad you did. Some day, she won't be around any more. And, it's only a few hours (or a day?). You will survive and go back to your life.

It's for the day. I'm sure you're right, it probably won't be that bad.

My gma is 88. She's my one remaining grandparent and I'm quite willing to put up with my insane family in order to see her. She's sharp as a tack and she loves the visits, and I love hanging out with her and talking about how insane the family is. :wub:

So I'd have to add my vote to the "go anyway" group. Enjoy her while she's still around.

But I'd probably also drive alone too, just to avoid being stuck in a car full of fundies. Euugh, just the idea alone is enough to make me wonder if there's a hell... if there is, it's a car full of fundies. Or worse yet, a vanload of 'em.