Goodbye Jesus

ex-christians?

Jon

Disappointing...

That the perfectly decent young man whose remains were in the box in front of his weeping children was, if my then Christian views were correct, screaming in hell and I was supposed to be concerned because the mourners needed a warning that they should seek to avoid the same fate.

Christianity held no answer to that particular issue.  It was so clearly and obviously bankrupt, turning its' god into a capricious psychopath.

Though "disappointment" is the wrong word.  It's what made me angry.  Very, even incandescently, angry.

I suggest you be a little more concerned about where you are going than where you came from.  Into the arms of a god of that sort of so-called "love" is an idea I could not countenance.

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

As to disappointments, my disappointments with Christianity were that its promises proved to be false.

Our friend was dying of cancer. We all prayed. Little children prayed. We called on and claimed God's promises in the NT.

Rod died anyway.

That broke the back of my faith. I'd been through prayers where I thought the answer was "no" or "not yet" but this... little children praying for a healing are ignored? By the omnipotent omnibenevolent creator? Even if God wanted another angel, a 27 year old, it is not right for that want to override God's plain promises in scripture.

So from there, as time passed, I discovered more contradictions in the Bible, more statements that are falsified by science or history. More absurdities and unbelievable things. Things that are just dumb.

I do the best I can in life and it is good, on the whole. I am no longer trying to suppress the obvious that goes against dogma. 

I invite you to step into the perhaps frightening but ultimately freeing stance of just living in reality.

Peace, ficino

• Like 3

On 3/25/2017 at 1:07 PM, Jon said:

what was/is your biggest dissapointment in christianity?

My largest disappointment is observing the continued childhood indoctrination by trusted adults into this particular religion who peddle fear, xenophobia, irrationality and maintain control with peer pressure and threats.

• Like 4

My biggest disappointment came, after years of study & research, when the results of my study convinced me that none of it was true. It was depressing to discover that the Bible simply isn't true. It's a collection of fictional stories with fictional characters. 

The realization I was foolish enough to believe it for as long as I did was both embarrassing & disturbing.

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

My biggest disappointment in christianity was myself... which is the main point of the religion, isn't it?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding your original question.........that I bought into it so naively and deeply,  and then wasted so much of my living time and energy on it.  Hurts to think about it.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 1:07 PM, Jon said:

what was/is your biggest dissapointment in christianity?

(As a Christian) That God micromanaged my thoughts.

(Now, as an ex-Christian) The whole bizarre idea that being a sinner and falling short of the glory of God and being saved from that God is some great thing. It's laughable.

(Now, as an ex-Christian) That a super advanced being who created everything is concerned about masturbation and homosexuality and abortion and wearing polyester with cotton.

(Now, as an ex-Christian) That Christianity is a system of mind control whose ulterior motive is to collect money from good people to pay a pastor to talk about an imaginary being.

(Now, as an ex-Christian) Watching one of my relatives present behavior as an obsessive compulsive christian disorder. Jesus is always on this person's mind. She drops Jesus into any conversational topic. It should be classified as a mental illness.

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

That the Bible has God committing acts that are extremely immoral, even according to Christianity's own morality.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

That at one time I was duped i to actually believing the nonsense.