Goodbye Jesus

Wow! Here's A New One!

greasemonkey

this one is kinda new to me...

An argument from gratitude works on two levels. On the first, the structure of the the argument is simple enough, and is similar in form to some of the other arguments. I have been given innumerable blessings. Finding myself in possession of them, I have an ethical responsibility to say "Thank you." But to whom? If I am the end product of atoms careening through a mindless universe, there is no one to whom I may show my gratitude, and yet my ethical need to be grateful is genuine. Therefore, there is a God, and I thank Him for the green hills I saw yesterday.

ethical responsibility to "thank" somebody...

if life evolved by evolution, then we wouldn't have the need to "thank" somebody when something good happens...

:twitch:

damn, maybe I should reconvert... I think this new way of looking at evolution has caused one of my two remaining brain cells to rupture...

ethical responsibility to "thank" somebody...

Oh well, if there really is someone to say thank you to, then I won't object (unless he actually had nothing to do with your "blessings")... in other words, as usual the fundie "argument" starts from an unsupported assertion. From there on it's not too implausible, but who fucking cares? :fdevil:

Well, to start I want to thank my dad for being horny and to my mom for putting out. I don't remember much from those days-- it was very dark. But then I was born and the doctors and nurses deserve thanks for 'doing a heckuva job' and getting me out alive.

Much later. . . .On my drive to work today-- while in the inside lane a car passed going the other way, but stayed in his/her own lane and thereby didn't crash into me. So thanks to that person. Then another car came towards me and... you know, this could get very long. I feel like I won an Oscar and don't have time to thank everyone. I mean, I want to thank all the little people who painted the line in the middle of the road, and the guy who got caught speeding a few blocks over that distracted the cop so I could get to work faster. . .

We really have a lot of people to thank for everything good that happens to us, but it is more convenient to just thank God. I think that's what he's there for. He doesn't really seem to do anything but take credit for all that's good, while none of what's bad.

He doesn't really seem to do anything but take credit for all that's good, while none of what's bad.

You mean we shouldn't thank God for hemorrhagic fevers? :twitch:

Drat! That means I wasted postage on those invites I sent out for the Ebola Party! No wonder I haven't gotten back any R.S.V.P.s!

We really have a lot of people to thank for everything good that happens to us, but it is more convenient to just thank God. I think that's what he's there for. He doesn't really seem to do anything but take credit for all that's good, while none of what's bad.

yeppers!

I think what actually blew my mind with this whole idea was the fact I linked to it from the Panda's Thumb. Most of the folks there are a helluva lot smarter than me on matters of biology and evolutionary theory. When somebody popped out of the blue with this particular arguement it made me wonder if they were shooting for some sort of "Scanners" reaction... those "scientific types" discussing the biology of the theory head's might just explode when faced with such incredible reasoning skills as this...

yet my ethical need to be grateful is genuine.

It's a fine sounding argument, but the premise is flawed. The ethical need to be grateful is learned, not a natural law. Moreover, it breaks down when further examined. Thankful for what? For my house, food, car, et al? I worked for them. For flies for pestulance and disease? They live along side the air that I breath and the water that I drink and the sun that shines down on me.

Well, to start I want to thank my dad for being horny and to my mom for putting out.

post-389-1142382088.gif

Nothing like a man who's grateful to his creator.

Good one, Kryten.

My aunt psychologically pounded me to thank her for stuff, so one day I "broke" and I say "thank you" an awful lot to just about anyone who assists me in doing anything. Good or bad to do this? I don't know. It's automatic now.

I don't remember much from those days-- it was very dark. But then I was born and the doctors and nurses deserve thanks for 'doing a heckuva job' and getting me out alive.

Much later. . . .On my drive to work today--

:lmao:th_th7273e2c4.gif :lmao:

th_th7273e2c4.gif

That's Fizzkik from The Dark Crystal, no? :scratch: