Goodbye Jesus

Life Gets Annoying

theGreatMe

I spend so much time thinking about life trying to figure it all out. I look for a series of principles to make life magically work right. My old Grand Equation for life used to be christianity, but alas that bubble has popped and x no longer equals x in that equation. Agnosticism for me is a bit rough, because it leaves so much of life unanswered. For a person of my personality type (ISFJ in the Myers-Briggs test), i'm more of a follower than a leader, i crave security. I also suffer from depression which sucks and makes this all the harder.

dunno, just ranting here, don't expect it to make much sense

You sound a lot like me, which of course means that I can't help you worth shit, save to say keep searching.

.....don't expect it to make much sense

Makes perfect sense to me. How long have you been out of The One True Religion?

:D Welcome to ex-C, theGreatMe. Your question is exactly what everyone who has an ounce of independent thinking asks. The answer is....duhduummmmmmmmmmm (drum roll): It makes no sense - life just is. The world is as it is. No secret "reason" to discover. No "hidden" truth out there, waiting to explode and give us the satisfaction of having all the pieces of existence fit.

There certainly MAY be some reason, where it all makes sense. I don't deny the possibility. But I sure haven't found it. And it seems that the only folks who claim to have The Reason require blind faith to believe in it. No proof. Nada.

But despair is not the only option. We can choose to live life to the fullest. I mean, why the hell not? We're already here. May as well make the best of it. But it's our choice to act and create a life, because the alternative is simply no fun. Who wants to committ suicide when there's still life to live. Love to find. The planet to discover.

Anyways, again welcome.

But despair is not the only option. We can choose to live life to the fullest. I mean, why the hell not? We're already here. May as well make the best of it. But it's our choice to act and create a life, because the alternative is simply no fun. Who wants to committ suicide when there's still life to live. Love to find. The planet to discover.

Hallelujah!!! Er, uh, *cough*, *Erhem*....

Anyway, if you're really searching for answers, I'd recommend science, though it definitely doesn't answer everything and may answer others somewhat unsatisfactorily (but that part is a little more subjective). It's what ultimately kept me away from religious belief, and I find it incredibly fulfilling and gratifying reading and learning about it. There's always more to find out and things to be completely fascinated by. But really, this life is what you make of it. It will either be your hell, or it will be your nirvana, and in the end, it is totally up to you.

You mentioned that agnosticism has been rough, so I'm assuming it's because of the uncertainty factor. I know what it's like to obsess over the uncertain. So why not take a stand? Be firm in your beliefs (I mean no offense to you or other agnostics, by the way).

Anyway, welcome, and best of luck.

GreatMe, when you begin thinking independently and questioning, it is hard because the crutches are gone. Xianty is a great crutch. It really does give one a bunch of standards and rules in which to play by...but it also is the great inhibitor. I am sure you don't want to go back to a life of inhibitions -- and if you could, would you? Probably not.

Just be patient with yourself and keep questions. The right answers will come and so will like-minds. You've hit the jack pot with this site. Everyone here is very nice and more than willing to discuss with you whatever you want to discuss regarding religion. So just start a thread and let it rock!

Welcome to Ex-Xian!

I spend so much time thinking about life trying to figure it all out. I look for a series of principles to make life magically work right. My old Grand Equation for life used to be christianity, but alas that bubble has popped and x no longer equals x in that equation. Agnosticism for me is a bit rough, because it leaves so much of life unanswered. For a person of my personality type (ISFJ in the Myers-Briggs test), i'm more of a follower than a leader, i crave security. I also suffer from depression which sucks and makes this all the harder.

dunno, just ranting here, don't expect it to make much sense

I've been reading this guys book. It's not perfect, but for me, it hits on few areas that I can identify with very easily. He's posted some of it online.

Jovial Atheist

and welcome to Ex-C. Great place to hang out and learn.

Sounds a lot like me too... except I have grown a lot in the past couple years and I don't think I'm an ISFJ anymore. I tested pretty much in the middle of each of the indicators.

I don't struggle so much with security and not knowing the answers to life's big questions anymore. You'll get there... it just takes a lot of processing and a thorough deconverting.