Goodbye Jesus

Teaching In A Christian School

Kuroikaze

Ok, my parents heard about some private school that only has classes two days a week, and lets you homeschool the rest of the time. I'm out of work ATM and have thought about going into teaching, and so they suggested that I come along to a meeting they were going to about it and learn what I could.

Ok, I'm think its probably a christian private school, but I decide to go along...after all the school is supposed to be bassed on a classical model of education (they teach Logic, Latin and are supposed to be heavy on teaching students to think for themselves rather than just giving them headknowledge) so it, at least on the suffurace, sounds like a posibility.

Well, the meeting is in a church, so when we arrive alarms are already going off in my head, then one of the women attending the meeting mentions Pat Robertson (in a good way) and barely supressed laughing at her right there.

Oh well, some of the people were nice and I had a good conversation with one of the teachers afterwards. It just seems odd that they say they want to teach the children to think for themselves, when in reality its just a way to indoctrinate them more. (of course I couldn't say that to mom and dad)

So anyway, no way I'm I deperate enough to work there, but it gets worse.

My parents want to send my two sisters there. Now with my youngest sister, (still in elementary school) I don't mind so much, she still believes (for now anyway) and would make friends there. But my other sister will be in 10th grade next year, and is very much a non-believer like myself. She is also bisexual and currently dating a girl...obviously my parents know nothing about that.

Sending here there would be an extremly stupid choice on the part of mom and dad, in fact the more I think about it the madder I get. My sister has recently gone though a lot of depresion...in large part due to leaving her faith, and finding out she was bisexual all in the course of a year or so, and not having a lot of friends...

So she has come to terms with herself, made some new friends, and is generally much happier than she used to be...and my parents want to take that away from her. If they follow through with this then they will put her in a group of kids she has nothing in common with, and all of whom will likely hate her life choices...in short it will be a nightmare for her. I think my parents think they can force her into believing again by doing this..... :Doh:

Well, its not like I'm expecting some earthshattering advice from anybody, but I just needed to vent, but if anyone has any advice on how to talk to my parents about this I'm all ears.

Do you think you could take the "college" approach to it? I don't know, trying something along the lines of having her in a better high school that will keep her on track to get into a better college or have more choices post-graduation? Granted they will probably want to send her to a private, all girls, xtian college... ;)

I'm sure some schools won't really care, but it might be a way to "nudge" them towards keeping her in a more mainstream educational system...

Hope you find some kind of a solution...

-Gliph

Perhaps you could find a different private school to suggest for your sisters? I went to a boarding school. It was Episcopalian and we had "chapel" but it really wasn't religious in the slightest. If a student of any religion wanted to conduct a ceremony of their own religion during "chapel" all they had to do was ask and sign up for a day. Most of the time it was really just when the dance group performed, or the singing group sang, or sports awards were handed out. It was also when a teacher took the time to come out of the closet. And while there was a "theology" class, it involved reading texts for Taoism, Hinduism and a few other religions, but it also involved reading Freud's take on religion and all that jazz. So perhaps you can find a school that really focuses on rounding out an academnic education and feel better about your sisters going there? Or even teaching at one (though I'd say most private schools that do focus on academnics require some advanced degrees, or at least the one I attended did).

unfortunatly ALL the private schools around here are religious, and because of the classical education thing, my parents are convinced that this school will educate her better than public school...truth be told the public schools around here aren't that good so they may be right about that.

Still, it won't matter to my sister if she has a good education if she goes stark raving mad in the meantime.

There if no freakin way I'm attending this school, all my friends have already said they were going to fight it tooth and nail as I will too.

I don't honestly think that my phsyche could stand up to it. I don't want to attend a school where I can't talk about what i believe for fear of having people hate me. I couldn't handle a school where I couldn't talk about my girlfriend. well I gotta go keyboarding class is almost over, bye kuroikaze maybe I'll talk to you tonight maybe you can eat dinner over at the house soon.

P.s. I'm the sister he was talking about obviously :lmao:

Are there private religious schools that aren't that psycho about things? I went to one that was "religious" in name only basically. Maybe your parents would be willing to negotiate if you found one that worked better for you, if they insist on you going to a nonpublic school.