Goodbye Jesus

What made you speak in tongues.

RICK300

Hi guys

Any Ex Charismatics here.

I was brought up with religion as more a tradition than a belief. Then went on the alpha course, that has a bit about speaking in tongues healing ect not being xenophobic but I though that stuff would was for crazy Americans evangelists , I have always felt a bit uncomfortable about evangelicals but suddenly felt I became one not that I wanted to be one and a mental battle went on in my head.

So my question is what do you think made you talk in tongues or even tried to heal people.  

• Super Moderator

So my question is what do you think made you talk in tongues or even tried to heal people.

Peer pressure.

• Like 1

I wanted to, they wanted me to, but nothing ever happened for me and I wasn't going to fake it, so we all were equally frustrated. 

I'm fluent in gibberish so it came easily. I also refused to fake it initially, and in one service where a lady preacher (very full of herself) kept pushing me so I said a phrase in Nahuatl (Aztec) and she said "Yes, just keep that up". I smiled and sat down. But later on in life I started blathering when I'd be lifting something heavy, and still do that occasionally for the entertainment of my coworker.

Growing up for me when I was tapped after the 'holier than thou' oil was placed on my forehead was the palmed pressure also there--with results of nothingness to occur like anyone else with an open mind. The spirit was stressed on supposed notice with some as I had a chance to see people go into these 'spiritual convulsions' or even just fall over with others supporting them. But what had me worrying at a young age was babies crying and even some around my age seeing it as comical (I did as well eventually) once their parents fell over or even wonders if something possibly happened to them. Once I caught wind of my father and aunts 'falling because of the anointing' did I deem it true or. .something more until with time was it realized that idiocy played a very open role in such. It's clearly obvious that once you're able to speak anything will it be believed and that preacher who stole the spotlight during that service'll claim his XBox achievement in the end. Like you did I come from a Charismatic Pentecostal background and i'm sure that like me were you judged if the holy ghost didn't come upon you. Destruction was prophesied on me a few times actually and after church one night when I asked an aunt who claimed that on me was I hit with the most weak of reasons behind such being that 'she hadn't a clue what I'd been talking about and when God used her was it otherworldly'. Glossolalia was heard leading up to what'd been given to her from that heavenly touch of falsified knowledge, though typically once the concept was grasped did the fears also wane with time.

While hearing audible tongues spoken and body language increased tenfold unnecessarily throughout my years did I just. .sit and watch. One time while sitting on the front pews did I take a blow because one didn't watch where she was going during these moments of shouting and crazed motion and I even saw plenty of times that people clumsily tripped over the pulpit steps. But either way, I simply sat and from my youth up to now was I never endowed with this 'gift'. But in being giftless were you judged ridiculously. The shame right? Right.