Goodbye Jesus

Opportunists For Christ

spamandham

For those who may not know, one of my children recently underwent a serious medical procedure. That was two weeks ago and you would never know it from his/her "miraculous" recovery.

"We were praying for you"

"We've been praying for you..."

blah blah fucking blah

Ok, I appreciate the sentiment when people use the expression "We're praying for you" to mean "I hope the best for you", but now there are members of my own family (sister and mother) attempting to use this time to proseletyze!!!! AAAAAAAHHHHHHHG!

It's like they're saying "See! I prayed for you and god answered my prayer because I'm a church lady superior Christian. Now you must believe because everything turned out according to the best case scenario which is proof that god is listening. Nevermind the last time you went through this and the little girl in ICU next to your child died in spite of her uncle being a minister and the massive prayers you witnessed on her behalf. God really does answer prayers! Also nevermind the little boy who died in ICU in the room next to your child's the time before that."

Is there a nice way to say "You're a fucking moron even though I love you."?

Is there a nice way to say "You're a fucking moron even though I love you."?

Hmmm, don't know about that. You didn't say how you responded to the "We were praying for you" comments. I think I would just say, "Thank you; isn't it great the Doctors were able to successfully treat her? They sure have had great training, thanks to modern medicine". That way, you acknowledge what they say, while introducing a more rational way of looking at the situation. This is actually what Christians do; if the tables were turned and you had said "I am so glad she has pulled through this procedure", your family might have said "Oh yes, we were praying for her and we are soooo glad that God answered our prayers". Just flip what they say into a "testimony" for modern medical discoveries, nursing care, etc. Don't know if it will sink into their Jesus-saturated minds, but it might send a message on where you still stand. The hope of the Christian is that, in times of adversity, non-believers will be weak enough to grab at the straws the Church waves in front of them.

I think I would just say, "Thank you; isn't it great the Doctors were able to successfully treat her? They sure have had great training, thanks to modern medicine".

DOH! :Doh:

I knew there was a reason I post here. Thanks for the insight! I've just been saying "thanks" or no responding at all.

Brilliant!

I shall have to remember that idea!

I think I would just say, "Thank you; isn't it great the Doctors were able to successfully treat her? They sure have had great training, thanks to modern medicine".

I knew there was a reason I post here. Thanks for the insight! I've just been saying "thanks" or no responding at all.

S&H,

I can relate directly to how you feel. My youngest son had major open heart surgery at 11 weeks. That was the roughest part, being in PICU with your child and not knowing... I've watched the PICU Doctor and nurses do the miracles. The training, determination and care given by the staff were the miracles. God was no where to found.

I always gave credit to the doctors even though I was quasi christian at the time.

Kids are resilent and heal fast!

Best wishes and hope all goes well.

While I can come up with ideas when I'm sitting at the computer, I sometimes wonder if, during a situation where I may be stressed out or worried (as in a hospital setting), I would be able to whip out a snappy comeback. Reviewing the situation here might help all of us prepare for that moment when it happens. I hope!

Kids are resilent and heal fast!

Indeed. Many of the most miraculous recoveries are neither due to God's intervention or the doctor's. The body has a near-miraculous set of systems to repair and rebuild itself. There are still shortcomings as evidenced in the case of paraplegics or in wounds forming scar tissue. However oftentimes the recovery can only be properly attributed to the micro-scale systems of the human body.

That said, medical science is certainly a wonderful thing that no rational person will entirely dismiss.

While I can come up with ideas when I'm sitting at the computer, I sometimes wonder if, during a situation where I may be stressed out or worried (as in a hospital setting), I would be able to whip out a snappy comeback. Reviewing the situation here might help all of us prepare for that moment when it happens. I hope!

That's when I tend to come up with the best, witty wise, comments, they just tend to be very cutting. My mother calls it acid tongue. Soemtimes I can hold it in, and just say them in the car to no one, or the DH or my oldest.

While I will admit that this is a good come-back, don't underestimate the power of Christian stupidity and denial. They do have a rebuttal for your statement. It goes something like this:

"Yes, BUT it was God who guided and moved the hands and minds of the doctors. God gave them the ability to heal and therefore it is HE who should receive the glory. Halellujah! Thank you, Jesus!"

Mark my words. Christians ALWAYS have a Stupid Answer handy. THAT well never runs dry.

While I will admit that this is a good come-back, don't underestimate the power of Christian stupidity and denial. They do have a rebuttal for your statement. It goes something like this:

"Yes, BUT it was God who guided and moved the hands and minds of the doctors. God gave them the ability to heal and therefore it is HE who should receive the glory. Halellujah! Thank you, Jesus!"

Mark my words. Christians ALWAYS have a Stupid Answer handy. THAT well never runs dry.

"Well, if the Doctor is guided by God, why did God wait so many centuries to reveal medical knowledge to mankind?"

"Because of the hardness of their hearts, God held back his healing talents so that mankind would have a tradition of turning to Him for the answer, not to man-centered answers."

"If God cared for his "children", then he would have wanted people to have the ability to help and heal those who suffer."

"God does love us, but all is according to His timing and His purpose, praise the Lord!"

I can see how this could be hopeless, depending on how brainwashed the individual Christian is. For every answer you give, they could throw one back at you.

On my quest for the truth I have recently found out that Lance Armstrong has no belief in God. He gives all the credit to his fight and victory over cancer to his will, medical science, and his doctors. Imagine that.

What really gets on my nerves is that the excuse for babies dying from sickness and disease is, "Oh well...it was just their time. The lord has a plan..."

That excuse literally makes me want to punch somebody.

So when prayer works god is listening, particularly if it is on their baby...But if someone else's baby dies then, "It'll all get better by and by..." and the age old, "God is a jealous god..."

I am so pissed at myself for believing that crap so blindly.