Goodbye Jesus

Tom Cruise

jrmarlin

Ever since Tom became a Scientologist, he has gotten more whacked than ever before.

Does anyone else share this observation?

Should churches use celebrity spokes people as a part of their 'branding' God? :shrug:

Do you lose respect for a celebrity when they whore for a particular religion? I have found I have lost all respect for Tom Cruise because of his whoring for Scientology. He makes the whole organization look like its whacked beyond belief. Not to mention what damage its done to his psuedo-girlfriend's career.

Are the numbers that low in these organizations? Do they have to get these celebrity spokespersons to do their bidding for them? How much do they get paid?

Ever since Tom became a Scientologist, he has gotten more whacked than ever before.

Does anyone else share this observation?

Should churches use celebrity spokes people as a part of their 'branding' God? :shrug:

Do you lose respect for a celebrity when they whore for a particular religion? I have found I have lost all respect for Tom Cruise because of his whoring for Scientology. He makes the whole organization look like its whacked beyond belief. Not to mention what damage its done to his psuedo-girlfriend's career.

Are the numbers that low in these organizations? Do they have to get these celebrity spokespersons to do their bidding for them? How much do they get paid?

To answer:

Yes, he's definetely a couple fries short of a happy meal. :loser:

Why not? Celebreties whore themselves out all the time. Just shows you church is a business with sales and marketing.

Yes, don't respect many celebrities as it is right now. Clint Eastwood comes to mind off the top my head as fairly respectable.

Numbers in the pews equals power and money. You should always want to grow the business (church). Dumb celeb gets more numbers in the pews, scientology gets more power and money..

Religions love it when a famous person converts. They lap it up, and use the poor soul for marketing purposes. So if a movie star, or sports hero, or litererary type converts, the religion puts them on the front page of every publication they can as an advertisement for their God. "See, so-and-so believes, why don't you believe too?"! :ugh: Of course, if this same celeb left the faith, either nothing would be said out of fear of drawing attention to the situation, or the religious powers that be will denounce the person as being deceived and a backslider. Just like what would happen to regular people like us, only on a grander scale.

Guest Shiva H. Vishnu
He makes the whole organization look like its whacked beyond belief.

The "Church" of $cientology IS whacked beyond belief. Tom Cruise is just a pathetic little side effect.

I thought Scientology was the hot celebrity religion. I read an article about Christopher Reeve who tried Scientology for a while and he figured out it was only about money. He remained an Agnostic.

According to Widepekia, these famous people are Scientologists:

Kirstie Alley, actress

Anne Archer, actress (her son, Tom Davis, runs the Los Angeles celebrity center)

Lynsey Bartilson, actress

Catherine Bell, actress

Mary Bono, congresswoman

Sonny Bono, artist and congressman (claimed Catholicism on campaign biographies)

Rufus Buck, folk singer

David Campbell, musician

Nancy Cartwright, voiceover artist, most famous as the voice of Bart Simpson

Sharon Case, actress

Kate Ceberano, actress and musician

Erika Christensen, actress

Chick Corea, musician

Tom Cruise, actor (formerly Catholic, according to Parade)

Sky Dayton, founder and Chairman of the Board of EarthLink

Jason Dohring, actor

Jenna Elfman, actress, formerly Catholic, and her husband Bodhi, actor

Brent Graber, voice of 'Otis' in movie 'Milo and Otis'

Paul Haggis, director

Beck Hansen, musician

Isaac Hayes, musician, actor, and voiceover artist ("Chef")

Katie Holmes, actress, introduced to Scientology by fiance Tom Cruise

Nicky Hopkins, musician

Mark Isham, musician

Terry Jastrow, TV producer and director (married to Anne Archer)

Mike Joubert, Bronson Pinchot's voice coach

Cyprien Katsaris, musician

Chaka Khan, singer

Jason Lee, actor and professional skateboarder

Paul Leland, magician

Geoffrey Lewis, actor

Johnny Lewis, actor

Juliette Lewis, actress

Peggy Lipton, actress

Nathan Luksa, The Bus Stop

Christopher Masterson, actor

Danny Masterson, actor

Lisa McPherson, died at Fort Harrison Hotel

Peter Medak, director

Jim Meskimen, actor and improviser

Sofia Milos, actress (CSI: Miami)

Elisabeth Moss, actress

Floyd Mutrux, writer, director and producer

Haywood Nelson, actor

Corin Nemec, actor

Marisol Nichols, actress

Judy Norton, actress and musician

Eduardo Palomo, actor, and his wife Carina, actress and musician

Don Pearson, 'Management by Statistics' consultant

Michael Pena, actor

Bernadette Peters, actress and singer (source: Bergen Record 3/10/1985, may be an ex-member)

Jeff Pomerantz, actor and founder of Hollywood Says No to Drugs

Lisa Marie Presley, singer and daughter of Elvis

Priscilla Presley, actress and wife of Elvis

Kelly Preston, actress and John Travolta's wife

Leah Remini, actress

Giovanni Ribisi, actor

Marissa Ribisi, actress, wife of Beck Hansen, sister of Giovanni Ribisi.

Carina Ricco, singer, actress and composer

Michael D. Roberts, actor

Mimi Rogers, actress

Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, Congresswoman

Gloria Rusch-Novello, singer, writer and actress

Pablo Santos, actor

Meghan Schlinder, swimsuit model

Kristin Schwing, actress

Jeffrey Scott, writer for TV cartoons

Billy Sheehan, rock bassist

David Singer, chiropractor, 'Management by Statistics' consultant

Reed Slatkin, criminal ponzi scheme perpetrator

Michelle Stafford, actress

Ethan Suplee, actor

Patrick Swayze, actor

Greta Van Susteren, host of On the Record with Greta Van Susteren on FNC

John Travolta, actor

Josh Wiener, actor

Edgar Winter, musician

David Wittig, CEO

Bryan Zwan, founder of Digital Lightwave, inventor of fiber-optic testing equipment

Well, Churches being a business should be taxed on their income - i.e. tithing from all the congrugation. Business is business.... and all businesses are taxed by the IRS.

Promote Taxation for all churches.

My husband's uncle, now in his 80s, got interested in Scientology back when it started. I was surprised to hear about this as the uncle, a retired rocket scientist (really!) has no tolerance for what he perceives to be silly ideas or silly people. He did some study about it and almost joined until one of his co-workers, who had joined and was fully into it, suffered a psychotic breakdown one day. Then he thought better of it.

A friend has a cousin who has been a Scientologist for many years. The celebrities may get all the attention and glory but the average member, or at least this cousin, doesn't seem to have much of a life. She can't afford to attend the occasional family reunion because she gives all of her money to this "church". Rumor has it the celebrities aren't financially bled dry or maybe they can afford to give lots of money to the church and have some left over.

Some scientologists tried to recruit me back when I was 18 and really stupid... lucky for me, I wasn't quite THAT stupid. I read their book and showed up at their place a few times- they immediately tried to get me to sign up for some expensive "auditing sessions". I wasn't too convinced and didn't have any money anyway, so I didn't pursue the matter any further. They pursued ME though. They mailed me stuff and called regularly for amost a year (I"m told), and even showd up wanting to 'talk'. Lucky for me I had moved shortly after losing interest, and moved three times within the next year (for reasons having nothing to do with scientology).

The basic premise of the 'religion' is that every single problem in your life (and in society on a large scale), can be solved through their version of hypnotic therapy (they call it 'auditing'), which of course is expensive. I've since read some websites and stuff about scientology, and I'm glad I didn't take the bait. From what I've read, the celebrities are treated well so that they'll make good advertizement for the religion. Proles like myself are financially bled dry when possible, but their kids get the worst of it. Lots of their kids are recruited for scientology 'schools' and such, which I'm told basically amount to being locked in a building and made to work fixing it up for no pay (room and board only, and not very good room and board at that).

Scientology is worse than Christianity and Islam. If a priest kills someone with a quack remedy, you can expect that the feds will close in on him. If a Scientology "care center" kills somebody, they get away with it.

No religion is more based around money. No religion has a more rediculous dogma and creed. No religion breaks people down into mindless drones worse. These days, most Christians can develop the decision to leave the faith on their own; in Scientology, it's not just your friends not talking to you anymore, or your mother crying over your soul - it's PIs taking pictures of you while grocery shopping and illegally searching out every record of you they can find so they can vilify you in the press and ruin your life.

Scientology loves celebrities, and celebrities love Scientology because Scientology has set up special perks for them. Their "celebrity centers" are basically all-day luxury spas and clubs celebs can use for free. And no, regular little people need not apply. You're just not good enough a salesperson to be deserving.

Even Scientology's "humanitarian efforts" amount to little more than handing out single-page pamphlets detailing how life will be so much better in their Church, rather than actually helping people in hurricanes' and tsunamis' wakes. They preach about religious freedom, but only for themselves. All other religions are just in the way, so they don't deserve that freedom.

Scientology has regularly sunk low enough to commit huge national crimes, such as breaking into government offices. It keeps a regular list, which can be found online, of "fair game" organizations and persons, promoting the open attack of these people by followers of the One True Faith.

And, of course, let's not forget the absolute paranoia about psychiatrists. The museums and "lectures" run by Scientology tell how since the beginning of all time, psychiatrists have been responsible for every ill and bane on Earth. Holocaust? Psychiatrists. Inquisition? Psychiatrists. Slavery? Psychiatrists. The fact that the entire field of psychiatry didn't exist under the nineteenth century is of little importance. It's unbelievable that L. Ron Hubbard could convince that many people to hate psychiatrists, especially considering that he did out of a childish hate for them after they dismissed his quack theories.

Anyone interested in learning about Scientology's effect on people can look up an article in the Chicago Reader called "Death of a Scientologist," by Tori Marlan. I couldn't link to it because it's an old article. You have to buy it for $2.00 to read it, but it's a great story (also incredibly sad). This guy spent about $200,000 dollars on auditing, became completely fucked up, and killed himself. From beginning to end, he was an accomplished journalist who went into substantial debt and ruined his life. When they guy needed psychological help, the Scientologists excommunicated him and intimidated him into silence.

Scientologists are notorious for squelching and bad press by sicking a team of rabid lawyers on anyone who speaks up against them. Months after the story ran in the Reader, letters were coming in from pissed off followers and, of course, anyone and everyone involved with the story was sued and harassed. One more thing about the guy who killed himself: while he was active within the community, he achieved clear, which is their ideological peak. So, ugh, this is what happens to people who reach the goal of this retarded religion? No wonder Cruise is fucked up - he's been clear for a while now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did anyone listen to Hellbound Alleeeeeeeeee's show on vegetarianism? She and Franc were talking about homophobia in Scientology. Pretty interesting that a retarded cult could thrive in affluent regions with large G&L communities while claiming that they can fix them.

L. Ron Hubbard in his book Ethics, Justice and the Dynamics

"It must be noted...that promiscuity, perversion, sadism, free love,

homosexuality and other irregular practices fall far below an acceptable

level of ethics. A society which falls into this category can be

expected to abuse sex, to misuse and maltreat children and to act, in

short, much in way that the current cultures are acting...People who are

at this level on the second dynamic are

intensely dangerous in the society since aberration is contageous...."