Goodbye Jesus

My Xtian Brother

mick

This pretty much cemented it for me.

I just called my non fundy father and had the first real converstaion I have had with him in 20 years. I cried.

I don't know what to say except you have my well-wishes.

funny how a religion about love, understanding, family values and such can be so painfully used to break up families and hurt loved ones.

all my best wishes go with you. I hope things are well with your pops.

I just called my non fundy father and had the first real converstaion I have had with him in 20 years. I cried.

Excellent! I see it as all good. Your brother is just pissed because you quit his team and called his beliefs wrong. Don't worry-- he's still your brother and he'll get over it after the shock wears out. You severely messed with his head and probably left him questioning everything he thought he knew.

He might be saying this because he thinks he has to, in order to remain fathful to Christ or the church. He may view you as a threat. Perhaps with the passage of time, he'll realise what a butthead he's being and contact you.

I understand what you're going thru. One of my fundy brothers treats me in a civil but fairly cold manner since he learned I'm no longer a christian. In both our cases we can hope that reason will prevail and our relationships will be restored.

Ouch! I'm so sorry this was said to you. :( What else did your brother have to say besides the comment about you being "dead" to him?

On the plus, it seems to have helped your relationship with your father. I have a sister who I imagine will treat me the same way when she finds out. My planned response is "Well, have a nice life."

Ugh. That's one of the things I detest so much about Xianity, how it encourages the believer to place religion above family (amongst other things). It's an absolutely insidious side-effect, and truly hypocritical for believers in it to claim it is the religion of "family values". I'll bet it's wrecked more families than it has helped.

Hopefully, your brother will get over it, realize you're family, and pull his head out of his ass. Hopefully, things also improve with your father. Good will come out of this, and people will show themselves for who they are. My best wishes for a good end to it all!

That is so sad. Ugh. How can anyone think Christianity isn't a cult when things like this happen? I just can't fathom it. I know it's the brainwashing, but still.

Man, that's gotta hurt.

So much for a religion that preaches unconditional love.

Christians like your brother are ready to accept the "unconditional love" of christ but have a lot of difficulty extending it to others. Reminds me of Jesus' "parable of the unmerciful servant": Matt 18:21-35.

I guess your post is pointing out to me how it must have felt for my family when I went off to become a holy roller.

I feel for you man.

Man, that's gotta hurt.

Christians like your brother are ready to accept the "unconditional love" of christ but have a lot of difficulty extending it to others. Reminds me of Jesus' "parable of the unmerciful servant": Matt 18:21-35.

Xians don't care about unconditional love. Nor do they even know what the term means. They also don't follow the love thy neighbor rhetoric that they claim as their gospel.

There are a lot of things that xians don't do that they should do as prescribed to them in the bible. Fuck, what am I saying? Most xians don't even read the damn thing so they have no clue what it says. They prefer to listen to preachers, ministers, insane child-molesting Catholic priests rather than actually do a little homework on their own...

The people who have done their homework, usually end up here as an ex-xian. Go figure.

Man, that's gotta hurt.

I guess your post is pointing out to me how it must have felt for my family when I went off to become a holy roller.

I feel for you man.

In my experience, many Chrisitans don't become a part of that religion for the purpose of following Christ's teachings, but rather because they enjoy seeing themselves as above humanity, as being part of a chosen moral elite. They see the world as divided up in a war between God and Satan- they view themselves as the holy warriors on God's side, with everyone holding differing views as being on Satan's side.