Goodbye Jesus

Why Is Taking Life Playing God But Not Saving Life?

Guest SereneAspiration

Guest SereneAspiration

When a person WANTS to die and asks a doctor or someone else to assist, or a woman chooses to have an abortion, Christians hollar that to do so is playing "God." Why is it okay to play "God" when saving lives? Most Christians use the doctors just as much as non-Christians, shouldn't they just pray and lay themselves at the mercy of the almighty instead of allowing someone to play god on them?

I love pointing out the irony and inconsistency of Christian thought on issues like this. These sorts of things show how that it's not based on any sort of external truth from God's holy word, but rather cultural values using the name of God to support their side politically. If "God's word" had a singlular source (viz., God himself) and it reveals clear absolute truth, then it would be logical and consistent. It just goes to show, Man creates God in his own image every day.

Great question!

I would expand it to include anyone saving anyone else's life. Are you playing God when you buckle your kids (or yourself) into a seat belt? What about holding someone back from darting across the street when they didn't see the car coming? Who the hell are we to play God like that??!?

Antler has the answer. We are human and His creator.

Are you guys aware of the Hippocratic Oath?

Hippocratic Oath -- Modern Version

I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.

When a person WANTS to die and asks a doctor or someone else to assist, or a woman chooses to have an abortion,

Asking for death and having a abortion is two different things.

Allthough I must admit I am not sure about my feelings about Euthanasia.

Not suprisingly christians have always opposed medical science

Christianity and The Medical Sciences

Most Christians use the doctors just as much as non-Christians, shouldn't they just pray and lay themselves at the mercy of the almighty instead of allowing someone to play god on them?

There are groups who do exactly that. :twitch:

And we all hear about it sometimes on the news when their kids die from something totally preventable. Or the child had an accident and is bleeding all over the kitchen while the parents are on the phone to their spiritual leader and their group asking for prayer....instead of taking the kid to the hospital.

When a person WANTS to die and asks a doctor or someone else to assist, or a woman chooses to have an abortion, Christians hollar that to do so is playing "God." Why is it okay to play "God" when saving lives? Most Christians use the doctors just as much as non-Christians, shouldn't they just pray and lay themselves at the mercy of the almighty instead of allowing someone to play god on them?

Now we're cooking with fire. Serene, I like what you're getting at... I'll read the rest and make another reply. Great TOPIC!

... Man creates God in his own image every day.

That is beautiful, Antlerman. Just beautiful...

And it's funny too, because god does a lot of killing in the book of lies.

Ironic isn't it?!!!!!

yeeeeup. but we should ask that question for all illnesses. youre kid has chicken pox. why do you go to the doctor to get treatment? isnt it god giving your kid chicken pox? it's probably cause you or your kid did something wrong.... even though in the bible god did this all the time, but they never seem to blame him now for any illness or natural disasters. yet, they pray to him to make them well and thank him for survivors. if they believe in prayer so much, just pray... dont receive treatment. we'll see "the power of prayer" right there.

what i also find funny is how they go see doctors. it's funny to me that a lot doctors and nurses are christians. they may not believe in evolution, but theyre working in a field that has the fundamentals of how evolution works in it. for example bacteria. treat infections with antibiotics. if the pathogen arent completely wiped out, they developed a resistance, or the bacteria that through natural selection developed a resistance already, survives and multiplies. now you have a whole new generation of bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotics. the christian healthcare professionals know this... and whether they admit they know or believe it or not... it is evolution.

what i also find funny is how they go see doctors. it's funny to me that a lot doctors and nurses are christians. they may not believe in evolution, but theyre working in a field that has the fundamentals of how evolution works in it. for example bacteria. treat infections with antibiotics. if the pathogen arent completely wiped out, they developed a resistance, or the bacteria that through natural selection developed a resistance already, survives and multiplies. now you have a whole new generation of bacteria that are resistant to the antibiotics. the christian healthcare professionals know this... and whether they admit they know or believe it or not... it is evolution.

Oh, but they weasel out of that by claiming it's...what's the term...microevolution. It's ok to believe in microevolution and still go to heaven. :Doh:

I also used to wonder why taking a life is playing God, but healing through medical care isn't considered the same thing. Come to think of it, if everything is in God's hands, why do anything to prevent sickness? Why wash your hands, brush your teeth, eat a balanced diet....heck, it's all getting in the way of God's will.

In my former religious tradition, divine healing was taught, but you always called the doctor too. In the early days, the many of the first ministers of the religion did teach healing by prayer only. I read one account of a preacher telling the mother of a sick boy that God would take his life if the mom didn't stop making an idol of her son, and throw away all the medicine bottles on the dresser, and instead put God first. Of course, the story had the mother repenting, and the boy getting well, but sheese! telling a parent something like that!