Goodbye Jesus

Do You Think There Are Local Support Groups?

mick

:twitch:

Still kind of feeling like I been hit by a train. My Pastor who moved away a YEAR ago called me yesterday "out of the blue". (He heard something somehow)

It was unreal becasue you know I sincerely love the man. He mentored me for like 15 years. It was hard listening to him because it feels like "truth" when he speaks. (conditioning?) ANyway the guy could tell me there are 2 moons up there and a sub-conscious part of me would be like "hmm it could be up there somewhere I'm just looking hard enough.

He also made some veiled threats. Like, be careful you could destroy your family, etc.

Mick, I don't know where you live, but many cities have organizations for freethinkers in which you would likely find others who have gone through or are going through similar experiences. Google "rationalist", along with your state/area, and see what comes up. Good luck!

Your Pastor probably believes every thing he tells you is the Truth; that, coupled with your trust of him, accounts for the fact that you are inclined to believe him. I have no doubt that he is a kind, sincere person who has your best interests at heart. Just remember that sincere questioning on your part will NOT destroy your family, although the reactions of others to your questioning could. That is not your fault.

I hope you find some local like-minded folks you can open up with. Meanwhile, lots of people here at Ex-C can relate to your situation.

:twitch:

Still kind of feeling like I been hit by a train. My Pastor who moved away a YEAR ago called me yesterday "out of the blue". (He heard something somehow)

It was unreal becasue you know I sincerely love the man. He mentored me for like 15 years. It was hard listening to him because it feels like "truth" when he speaks. (conditioning?) ANyway the guy could tell me there are 2 moons up there and a sub-conscious part of me would be like "hmm it could be up there somewhere I'm just looking hard enough.

He also made some veiled threats. Like, be careful you could destroy your family, etc.

Mick, the technical term for this is social engineering. It's is where someone will intentionally manipulate you into their way of being and believing. You should not put any stock into those threats. Your immediate family will get through this. As far as the minister, it was none of his business in the first place -- quite intrusive on you to be exact.

This social engineering -- Xians are masters at it. They lean on you using peer pressure. Name calling. Threats. Extortion. Coertion. You name it. They'll do it in order to re-align you with them.

Don't fall for the box-dweller mentality. You have obviously found it doesn't work for you, so don't let them bully you back into being a slave.

Mick, there definitely are groups of non-believers who meet in communities everywhere. Where do you live? Maybe some of us know of groups near you.

Mick, there definitely are groups of non-believers who meet in communities everywhere. Where do you live? Maybe some of us know of groups near you.

I was looking up the stats for the US and supposedly as per the website, this is what I found:

Religions:

Protestant 52%

Roman Catholic 24%

Mormon 2%

Jewish 1%

Muslim 1%

other 10%

none 10%

(2002 est.)

But then again, this was as of 2002 and it was only an estimate by a census.

So many slaves, so little time! :shrug:

Boston, MA

LOL I am sure there are a TON of these groups in Boston. I'm jealous... I've always wanted to live in Boston.

I hope things will go better with your family, but unfortunately, these things tend to get worse before they get better. Hang in there and don't let it discourage you. Stay honest with yourself... it's the best thing you can do. Eventually they'll come around and see you as "family" again...

*hugs*

I just went to meetup.com and they had a few athiest groups in Boston, MA. Although you aren't an athiest, they can be a support group. I am sure someone in one of those groups has been where you are. You also might want to search under "freethought" and similar terms. I saw that there are ex-Christians in Boston who want a meetup group too, so perhaps you could contact those people as well.

Good luck!

I remember that feeling too..think it was about that time that I was led here. Of course, the net isn't real life..but for me, for now, its good enough.

I'm surrounded by believers where I live..although not the fundy type.

Hang in there, Mick..