Goodbye Jesus

The start of a wasted life?

Insightful

Hey everyone,

I just need to vent.  I am a healthcare provider and I have cared for one particular family for about 12 years.  They are amazing, kind, smart people.  Mom, dad, son (22) and daughter (11).  They are Roman Catholic.  They are passionate about caring for / housing pregnant teens and helping these new moms make it through their unexpected motherhood.  

Well, their 22 year old son mentioned to me last year that he is intending to enter the priesthood upon graduating college.  I just saw him again this morning and, sure enough, he will be joining the nearby monastery in a couple of weeks.

I feel sad, angry, and depressed.  Here is a SMART, strong, handsome and confident young man... about to basically throw his life away.  I want to say:  Are you SURE??  Have you thought about this enough?  is this what YOU want to do?  Or what's expected of you??

It feels like the religion virus just snatched away another silent victim in the night.  

It makes me think about ALL of the great people, energy, money, and time that are being wasted on a rabbit trail.  We need people to find cures for diseases, fight for social justice, elevate the plight of orphans and women and AIDS/malaria victims throughout the world.  We don't need another bright young mind cloistered and praying while relying on the support of hard-working people's money.  His mind and energy are needed elsewhere as are the dollars supporting him.

And think about all he will miss out on - being young, finding sexual intimacy, so many experiences.

Anyway, just needed to vent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Insightful said:

Hey everyone,

I just need to vent.  I am a healthcare provider and I have cared for one particular family for about 12 years.  They are amazing, kind, smart people.  Mom, dad, son (22) and daughter (11).  They are Roman Catholic.  They are passionate about caring for / housing pregnant teens and helping these new moms make it through their unexpected motherhood.  

Well, their 22 year old son mentioned to me last year that he is intending to enter the priesthood upon graduating college.  I just saw him again this morning and, sure enough, he will be joining the nearby monastery in a couple of weeks.

I feel sad, angry, and depressed.  Here is a SMART, strong, handsome and confident young man... about to basically throw his life away.  I want to say:  Are you SURE??  Have you thought about this enough?  is this what YOU want to do?  Or what's expected of you??

It feels like the religion virus just snatched away another silent victim in the night.  

It makes me think about ALL of the great people, energy, money, and time that are being wasted on a rabbit trail.  We need people to find cures for diseases, fight for social justice, elevate the plight of orphans and women and AIDS/malaria victims throughout the world.  We don't need another bright young mind cloistered and praying while relying on the support of hard-working people's money.  His mind and energy are needed elsewhere as are the dollars supporting him.

And think about all he will miss out on - being young, finding sexual intimacy, so many experiences.

Anyway, just needed to vent.

I have frequently pondered young ones throwing their lives away - not jut by becoming religious professionals - but by simply attempting to adhere to the fundy tenants as well as to those the clergy pulled out of their @$$es.

This Rabbit Hole concept, though, I hadn't given much thought to. Yes, not only does religion poison all that it touches but but it is holding us back in ways many have not examined. As a society our lives are negatively impacted by the rampant embracing of all religions but, here in the good 'ol US, especially xanity. Now to think, in addition to said impact, to contemplate the opportunity cost of all those wasted minds.

So buy UNICEF today...because a mind is a terrible thing! :lol:

• Like 2

I was almost one of those young guys who threw their lives away as well. 

Two years ago, I was so sure I wanted to choose ministry as a profession. I was so sure that I chose to stay in my hick college town one year after graduating to really see if it was what I wanted to do.

After becoming disillusioned from the faith, I realized how much of a life I could be having. My mom never supported my earlier inclinations to become a missionary. I see now that she was right. Deep down, I knew I didnt really want to be a missionary. I just felt guilty doing something else when 'soul-winning' was apparently the highest calling one could have.

It bothers me that many of my old friends and acquaintances are stuck in that world. I'm glad I was able to see what a gigantic sham it all was.

What's sadder is that many college freshman are about to move into that town being convinced to join 'small groups.' The next generation of brainwashing is becoming more powerful. This time, many young people are being fed up with "rules based" Christianity and jumping into "radical" Christianity. The relationship versus religion mindset. It's the same thing given a fresh coat of paint.

It's sad to know that more and more college aged students will be suckered into it all. It was a nightmare to leave. 

• Like 1

Lots of young people feel called to the ministry, & then later realize it was a mistake and leave. Going into ministry isn't forever unless that's what a person wants, & some do. 

Being a Priest doesn't mean you will never have sex, it just means you will feel guilty about it & have to do a few Hail Mary's until you get horny again, & then just repeat the proces. I think recent headlines confirm Priest & Nuns still have a normal sex drive, but they don't always satisfy it in normal or even legal way's.