Goodbye Jesus

Bible Groups And Churches

garrisonjj

In my area,,,traditional religion seems to be dying. However there is an upsurge in Bible groups (Bible Bangers) and "Fellowship Churches" all Bible based. Please explain to me how many well educated people place credence in these fairytales? Does anyone know when the first published Bible appeared???

Dear god I want to be saved?? Did anyone ever really have prayers answered? The more I see this crap the more I believe religion is the opium of the people! Thank you

In my area,,,traditional religion seems to be dying. However there is an upsurge in Bible groups (Bible Bangers) and "Fellowship Churches" all Bible based. Please explain to me how many well educated people place credence in these fairytales? Does anyone know when the first published Bible appeared???

Dear god I want to be saved?? Did anyone ever really have prayers answered? The more I see this crap the more I believe religion is the opium of the people! Thank you

I see the same thing here. My wife attends a Bible based church. I usually go every Sunday to see what dribble is being said. The one she attends has very contempary style of music. They are big on evangelism and "living out the word". It has high appeal to youth and college kids. There are older folks in there mid thirties all way up to a retired U.S. Army general. I called it Rock-n-Roll fundamentalism. I compare it to creationism (old style Fundy) vs. I.D.(Bible based churches) Same stuff, new wrapper.

The charasmaticism and modern music seems to have a mass appeal. We have Prayer Warriors and talk of demons, speaking in tonues, prophetic sayings and spirit world stuff. :lmao:

I have not seen anything that I would call an answered prayer. :shrug:

Most of people there that know me know I'm agnostic or athiest. One guy decided to ask about evolution etc. and how I felt being descended from apes after the service. :scratch:

We got into a rather lively debate in the hallway. I may have went overboard when I told him and all the folks listening, and I quote "Come on D---, the bible is crap and y'all are in a cult. Just read the bible, the more I come here and listen to (insert Pastor's name) and read the bible the more convinced I am that it's all crap". :lmao: If he keeps it up, I may actually enjoy going to church, it's teaching how to debate. :HaHa:

I swear one guy looked like he was going to slug me. The guy I was talking too was fine with it and we left on good terms and even had lunch together.

Do you mean the OT/NT Bible? Because each type of Bible came at different times. The OT was around, in a different form, long before the NT 'hit the shelves' so to speak. And the NT first floated around as different manuscripts before they were put together in any kind of form.

Marcion of Sinope could be said to have created the first "Bible" but it was without the OT since he rejected it as canon. It contained the 10 letters of Paul and an Anti-thesis. It was created around 142-144 AD.

Hippolytus added several books to that work but it is unclear when the guy even lived. He didn't include several books of today's Bible like Hebrews, James, 1-2 Peter, 3 John and includes books that are not found in the Bible today such as the Wisdom of Solomon, and the Apocalypse of Peter.

The first Christian Bible appeared in Constantines time, sometime after 325 and the Council of Nicea. I believe it was around 340 or something and was called the Codex Sinaiticus for the OT and the Codex Vaticanus for the NT. But it was still not in the form it is today. Revelations, the last book to be entered into the Bible, wasn't added until much later.

St. Jerome added to the ending of Mark since it was lost, centuries earlier around 420. There were several Codex Bibles running around for centuries after the Council of Nicea.

The Bible remained in Latin form until 1380 with John Wycliff's translation in to English gave believers the chance to make thier own interpretations. The church followed by creating a law that forbid common language translations unless they were authorized by the church.

The Gutenburg Bible was printed in 1455 giving easier access to the common man.

The KJV was comissioned in 1604. There had been several Bibles created before this depending on faith since Martin Luther opened the door for the Reformation.

So I asked google, and it says the oldest bible found is from around the fourth century....

My .02 on this... I really think there is revival of bible groups and everything else because of the world climate. "the church" is trying to recruit members back into the fold since so many have gone astray (i have absolutely ZERO basis for this... :grin: ) and by trying to bring people into some form of religion is a way to help people get people back in (read: $$$) and provide them with a "coping mechanism" on a tense world climate that people have ZERO control over. do i have any way to know that the next plane i'm on isn't going to go crashing into some building? no. I SHOULD PRAY ABOUT IT. GOD WILL PROTECT ME. I think the post 9/11 world is so scary for so many people, they are turning back to religion to try and "protect" themselves....

Meh, I don't know... the number of yellow ribbons, GOD BLESS AMERICA's, flag decals, GW bumper stickers I see around here, seems to only go one way....

JESUS WILL PROTECT ME FROM THE TERRORISTS!

:shrug:

Okay well, during my bible study..... Oh wait FUCK, I don't go to church OR Bible Study! Oh well. :vent:

No, honestly, the prayer warriors are the best. I have heard fo them before. They are like the God Warriors but instead of harassing people on the street, they harass God. :grin: