Goodbye Jesus

Battle for the internet...

Fweethawt

I have always felt it was just a matter of time before corporation(s) would find a way to profit in every possible way from internet use and something like this would happen. I think it was last year John Oliver had a couple of great episodes encouraging people to speak out against the change to net neutrality and it worked. It's happening again and hopefully it will be stopped.  Ajit V. Pai....what a dick! Of course he was chosen. Obama appointed Pai to the FCC and Trump made him chair of the FCC.

Thank you for the information. Maybe the fuckery will be stopped yet again.

Congress won't do shit against this industry shill.  People have been screaming at them for ages that they don't want this to happen but that hasn't stopped him from moving ahead with any of these plans.  Not only that but the current plans include rules that prohibit the states from making laws that could force net neutrality within their borders.  Ajit Pai is a fuckwad of the highest degree.

mwc

I'm hoping that this will be overturned by the courts. Here's an article in today's New York Times by a law professor who says the courts are quite likely to overturn the action:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/opinion/courts-net-neutrality-fcc.html?smid=nytcore-ipad-share&smprod=nytcore-ipad

On 11/23/2017 at 6:48 AM, older said:

I'm hoping that this will be overturned by the courts. Here's an article in today's New York Times by a law professor who says the courts are quite likely to overturn the action:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/22/opinion/courts-net-neutrality-fcc.html?smid=nytcore-ipad-share&smprod=nytcore-ipad

Courts are owned by the oligarchy too. I wouldn't hold my breath. 

Fuck Net "Neutrality." But hey, North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran and Saudi Arabia love theirs!

Yeah, let's invite the government in to help fight off a problem that doesn't exist! Great idea!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LifeCycle said:

Fuck Net "Neutrality." But hey, North Korea, China, Cuba, Iran and Saudi Arabia love theirs!

Yeah, let's invite the government in to help fight off a problem that doesn't exist! Great idea!!!

Umm...What?

mwc

20 minutes ago, mwc said:

Umm...What?

mwc

Government does not need to be in the "internet regulation" business... 

You know, the same government people now believe has more interest in making corporations happy over the people they're elected to serve? 

Of course, I gave some great examples of governments that regulate their internet access to their citizens to make a point. I'm sorry (not really) if it went over your head.

Government does not need to be in the "internet regulation" business... 

You know, the same government people now believe has more interest in making corporations happy over the people they're elected to serve? 

Of course, I gave some great examples of governments that regulate their internet access to their citizens to make a point. I'm sorry (not really) if it went over your head.

Oh.  I see you're misinformed on this particular issue.

You see, it is by repealing net neutrality the government is "making corporations happy over the people they're elected to serve" which kind of defeats your own argument.

Keeping net neutrality is in no way similar to the controls exerted in countries you've mentioned prior.  That you think they do demonstrates your lack of knowledge on this issue.

mwc

16 minutes ago, mwc said:

Oh.  I see you're misinformed on this particular issue.

You see, it is by repealing net neutrality the government is "making corporations happy over the people they're elected to serve" which kind of defeats your own argument.

Keeping net neutrality is in no way similar to the controls exerted in countries you've mentioned prior.  That you think they do demonstrates your lack of knowledge on this issue.

mwc

I'm sorry, but that's just incorrect. Free market is always best. Government still thinks Marijuana should be classed with Heroin and calls taxes "voluntary." You actually trust these people? 

This same government represents the rich...  Who are the rich? The business owners.

It's a slippery slope. You want government involved in our communication... like they have been with radio and TV - essentially stifling free speech by censoring what can and cannot be said.  But that doesn't really matter because people don't really care about free speech unless it impacts them. And it's not just these issues... It's competition which breeds innovation and which requires a free market to truly work.  

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, LifeCycle said:

I'm sorry, but that's just incorrect. Free market is always best. Government still thinks Marijuana should be classed with Heroin and calls taxes "voluntary." You actually trust these people? 

This same government represents the rich...  Who are the rich? The business owners.

It's a slippery slope. You want government involved in our communication... like they have been with radio and TV - essentially stifling free speech by censoring what can and cannot be said.  But that doesn't really matter because people don't really care about free speech unless it impacts them. And it's not just these issues... It's competition which breeds innovation and which requires a free market to truly work.  

The more you write the more it demonstrates your ignorance on this particular issue.  You have no idea what net neutrality is or how it may, or may not be, something to be regulated.  You're just spouting anti-regulation rhetoric hoping that it is the best, one-size fits all, solution.

Please educate yourself on this important topic.  If you had you'd realize you're arguing in favor of keeping net neutrality.

mwc

• Like 2

16 hours ago, mwc said:

The more you write the more it demonstrates your ignorance on this particular issue.  You have no idea what net neutrality is or how it may, or may not be, something to be regulated.  You're just spouting anti-regulation rhetoric hoping that it is the best, one-size fits all, solution.

Please educate yourself on this important topic.  If you had you'd realize you're arguing in favor of keeping net neutrality.

mwc

Bro, Net Neutrality is the scheme in which government takes the reigns of the internet. 

No fucking thanks.

• Like 1

Bro, Net Neutrality is the scheme in which government takes the reigns of the internet. 

No fucking thanks.

It's clear from that response that you at least did some research and tried to understand the issue.

For my part I owned and operated a tier 3 ISP for about a decade so I know that we're probably at about the same level of understanding at this point so I won't continue.

mwc

• Thanks 1

https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/99348528/internet-provider-says-sky-tv-is-attempting-to-censor-the-internet

Here is an article here about a TV company wanting to have the power to tell ISP's to block any website they don't like.

What they don't realise is that they are losing customers because they refuse to provide vast choices at reasonable prices. They are still living in 1960 where they could choose to spoon feed a select section of content to consumers.

As Dorothy said "We're not in Kansas anymore Toto"