Goodbye Jesus

All out of love

realityrunt

A question I'd like to ask: 

Why does the Christian god need us to love him? It can't be for his benefit, since Christians believe he lacks nothing.

I mean, if a glass of water is full how can you fill it any more? Christians say "God is perfect in love" But I'm to think that my human love would be useful to him. In what way, yes in what way.

• Like 1

Keeping this site online isn't free, so we need your support! Make a one-time donation or choose one of the recurrent patron options by clicking here.

1 hour ago, primaryzero said:

Why does the Christian god need us to love him? It can't be for his benefit, since Christians believe he lacks nothing.

I mean, if a glass of water is full how can you fill it any more? Christians say "God is perfect in love" But I'm to think that my human love would be useful to him. In what way, yes in what way.

Indication that the author(s) of the Bible were selfish, psychotic, controlling bastards. This kind of stuff is obviously man's thinking and not that of some deity or creator that has enough going on to create something like human life, eh?

This needing to be loved by us or we get a one-way tickie to the torture chamber concept is not only an indication that the xtian god (well all god's but that's another post) does not exist but also  a very good reason why we should be glad for that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, primaryzero said:

The picture Christians paint of their God is clearly that of a human being with supernatural powers. Their God looks human, has human emotions and needs, has a male gender, sits on a Throne, but is also invisible and supposedly all knowing and has the ability to be everywhere at the same time. This God also has two alter egos that defy a rational way to identify them. There is God the Father, God the Son, and God the Holy Spirit. That is clearly three separate and distinct Gods, but according to Christians 1 God plus 1 God plus 1 God only equals 1 God. Only in the Christian world does 1+1+1=1. If this God was actually perfect IT would not require or desire worship because only a God with human emotions would desire to be worshipped. 

Christians have simply copied from other ancient mythical Gods and gave their God a new name and identity, but its still a mythical God. In this particular case they derived their God from one of the many Canaanite Gods. In other words Christians have adopted a Canaanite God and claim it is and has always been their God. Nope, sorry, history paints a different picture. 

• Like 2

• Super Moderator

Our love for god isn't for god; it's for us.  Geez.  How hard could it be?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Our love for god isn't for god; it's for us.  Geez.  How hard could it be?

Sounds selfish to love someone just for yourself.

• Super Moderator
33 minutes ago, primaryzero said:

Sounds selfish to love someone just for yourself.

Our love for god is for us and god's love for us is for us.  It's all about us.

11 minutes ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Our love for god is for us and god's love for us is for us.  It's all about us.

I like your ideas, and I would like to subscribe to your magazine.

• 1 month later...

We are created in the image and likeness of God.  Part of this likeness is our desire for the love of someone else and I believe that God desires the same.

Expressions of love and the need to be loved cannot be forced, but freely given.

• Super Moderator
5 minutes ago, ironhorse said:

Expressions of love and the need to be loved cannot be forced, but freely given.

Obviously in the real world love can only be freely given and not commanded. However:

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."

A bit of a double bind and impossible task, no?

2 hours ago, florduh said:

Obviously in the real world love can only be freely given and not commanded. However:

"And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment."

A bit of a double bind and impossible task, no?

The passage you quote is a good one. I don’t see it as an irreconcilable demands or a choice. It is definitely a high standard.  It is an impossible task to fully meet 100%, but it should be the main goal of believers to keep it their main focus. As a believer I am not a perfect person, I still mess up a lot. Trying to get it better is part of the journey. 

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. ‘This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. ‘All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

~ Matthew 22:36 (NIV)

4 hours ago, ironhorse said:

The passage you quote is a good one. I don’t see it as an irreconcilable demands or a choice. It is definitely a high standard.  It is an impossible task to fully meet 100%, but it should be the main goal of believers to keep it their main focus. As a believer I am not a perfect person, I still mess up a lot. Trying to get it better is part of the journey. 

“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. ‘This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself. ‘All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

~ Matthew 22:36 (NIV)

How do you reconcile commandants to love the lord your god with all your heart, and at the same time fear the lord your god?

If you fear someone can you freely love them? In fact is any 'love' from fear even rightly called love? Isn't it just a protective emotion giving the object of fear what it wants in order for a person to escape some punishment?

And isn't this what heaven and hell is all about?

Love and fear me, if you do, heaven for you. If not, into the pot you go.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ironhorse said:

We are created in the image and likeness of God.  Part of this likeness is our desire for the love of someone else and I believe that God desires the same.

No, not forced. Apparently they can be coerced, though.

On 12/12/2017 at 4:21 PM, realityrunt said:

Have you read the Bible? Clearly He isn't emotionally stable.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ironhorse said:

We are created in the image and likeness of God. 

Actually Gods are created in our image.

Which is why they have all too human characteristics

• Like 2

On 1/18/2018 at 6:27 AM, ironhorse said:

Forcing love is the very premise of Christianity.  You must love somebody you have never seen, never heard and never met.  You must love somebody you have only heard about from second hand stories.  Do it or else you will be punished!  Forcing love is hard so to help you out we promise that if you pull it off then you will be rewarded more that anybody has ever been rewarded in this life*.  

*Restrictions apply.  Offer valid only after you are dead.

Ever stop to think why did God sit for all eternity, for billions of centuries times billions of centuries and more, in a dark void with nobody to talk to, nothing to see or hear and nobody to love?  God had two eyes, two ears, one nose, one mouth, two hands, yet nothing to see, hear, eat or touch?  God was a man yet there was nobody for God to mate with?  God desired love yet there was nobody to love and God was cool with that for a infinite eternity?  God is this silly creature with all these body parts that have no function and God lets all eternity go by before he creates anything?  Then when God finally decides to create something he has to make a race of creatures that are shaped in the image of this silly God?  Does this story make any sense?

• Like 2

10 hours ago, mymistake said:

Forcing love is the very premise of Christianity.  You must love somebody you have never seen, never heard and never met.  You must love somebody you have only heard about from second hand stories.  Do it or else you will be punished!  Forcing love is hard so to help you out we promise that if you pull it off then you will be rewarded more that anybody has ever been rewarded in this life*.  

*Restrictions apply.  Offer valid only after you are dead.

Ever stop to think why did God sit for all eternity, for billions of centuries times billions of centuries and more, in a dark void with nobody to talk to, nothing to see or hear and nobody to love?  God had two eyes, two ears, one nose, one mouth, two hands, yet nothing to see, hear, eat or touch?  God was a man yet there was nobody for God to mate with?  God desired love yet there was nobody to love and God was cool with that for a infinite eternity?  God is this silly creature with all these body parts that have no function and God lets all eternity go by before he creates anything?  Then when God finally decides to create something he has to make a race of creatures that are shaped in the image of this silly God?  Does this story make any sense?

Does this story make any sense?

That depends on how a person views God.

Whether one believes God exists or not, keeping a restricted small view of God does not do justice to God as revealed in the Bible. There are Christians who make this mistake

This universe, our world, and the scriptures reveal to me an awesome eternal intelligent being. We can understand some of His ways, but others are unfathomable.

'I do see the design of the universe as essentially a religious question--that is, one should have some kind of respect and awe for the whole business. It is very magnificent and should not be taken for granted. In fact, I believe that is why Albert Einstein had so little use for organized religion--although he strikes me as a very religious man. Einstein must have looked at what the preachers said about God and felt they were blaspheming. He had seen much more majesty than they had ever imagined, and they were just not talking about the Real Thing'.

~ Relativity theorist Charles Misener.

1 hour ago, ironhorse said:

Does this story make any sense?

That depends on how a person views God.

Whether one believes God exists or not, keeping a restricted small view of God does not do justice to God as revealed in the Bible. There are Christians who make this mistake

This universe, our world, and the scriptures reveal to me an awesome eternal intelligent being. We can understand some of His ways, but others are unfathomable.

'I do see the design of the universe as essentially a religious question--that is, one should have some kind of respect and awe for the whole business. It is very magnificent and should not be taken for granted. In fact, I believe that is why Albert Einstein had so little use for organized religion--although he strikes me as a very religious man. Einstein must have looked at what the preachers said about God and felt they were blaspheming. He had seen much more majesty than they had ever imagined, and they were just not talking about the Real Thing'.

~ Relativity theorist Charles Misener.

You are not paying attention.  You assume God is eternal.  You assume God created our universe at a certain time.  You assume that God made humans in God's image.

That means that God sat around for an infinite number of years before God created anything.  The same number of years that Christians think they will be enjoying heaven are the number of years that God was sitting in an empty void with nothing to do and nobody to care about.  And God must have been cool with that because during that infinite number of years God did nothing about it.  And while humans have a function for our hands, feet, legs, arms, eyes, ears and all our other body parts that God gave us because we are in his image . . . God has those same body parts even though they serve no purpose!  The Bible is very clear that God is a man.  Why is God a man when there are no female gods for God to ask out on a date?

If a human was stuck on an island they would go crazy from loneliness in just a few years.  But God is totally cool with being alone forever prior to creating?  Maybe your assumptions about God are wrong because they lead to nonsense.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:27 AM, ironhorse said:

and I believe that God desires the same.

... so the LOGICAL conclusion to this is that your god with human emotions was a god made in man's image. Not hard to work that one out is it?

• Like 1