Goodbye Jesus

Greatest Quote Ever

The Sage Nabooru

"Trust those who are seeking the truth; Beware of those who say they have found it." - Andre Gide

I read this in an Ex-Mormon's story. It hit me to the core. I always found anyone who spoke out of their own self-righteousness, their own pompous belief that they had everything figured out, totally disgusting and a bane to society. A personal belief is one thing; a haughty know-it-allism is something quite, quite different. I never could accept Bible-thumping fundies, or militant atheists, or terrorizing Muslims, simply because I cannot live with anyone who claims to have come to their own irrefutable conclusion - and believes it applies to everyone else as well.

Just a sudden thought I came on.

"Trust those who are seeking the truth; Beware of those who say they have found it." - Andre Gide

Very true! Remember Ssel? He was practically a definition of this:

I believe that all larger relegions were founded in higher than average reasoning at their inception but became an issue of influence, mystery, and deception. Science is well into that same path now. I defend each religion's rational intention altho all appear to fall a little short for varied reasons. I totally accept hard core logic and the original intention of science. "Religion and Reasoning are two sides of the same mountain, but they can only be clearly seen from the very top."
:rolleyes:

There's no surer sign of a clueless idiot than someone who has all the answers. To everything.

Reminds of the old saying, 'A little knowledge is a dangerous thing'. :scratch:

Unfortunately, this can be applied to some of our more hostile members, as well... for various reasons, some justified, and some not....

damn that is good.

Unfortunately, this can be applied to some of our more hostile members, as well... for various reasons, some justified, and some not....

Is that a biting comment directed towards me? :HappyCry:

:lmao:

The thing I have learned the most in my life is that the more I think I know, the more I realize how ignorant I have become.

The thing I have learned the most in my life is that the more I think I know, the more I realize how ignorant I have become.

So what about your *knowing" that agnostics are wrong?

So what about your *knowing" that agnostics are wrong?

Because of the definition of agnosticism and atheism in the Oxford Dictionary and how people try to combine them vs. their personal definition of what agnosticism and atheism mean.

And what I mean by my statement above is that the more we learn the more we are exposed to things we don't understand. A person who never picked up a book has a small circle of ignorance around them while those who educate themselves realize that there is more to learn then what they originally believed. Like those who only read the Bible think they know it all because that is the supreme authority for knowledge and wisdom. While those who are open to knowledge outside of their own little world realize that there is so much more out there for them to learn about. I'm not saying that things I once believed to be right I now consider to be wrong or some other statement like that. I don't say that agnostics are necessarily wrong either, my post was about educating oneself, whether that takes a lifetime or the lifetime of many others before. Learn enough to make a decision but don't claim ignorance is the supreme answer.