Goodbye Jesus

Did You Ever Like Someone Just Because They Were Christian?

pandora

Or think they were more credible, go to only Christian businesses, etc....

I admit that I'm a loser and I watch American Idol, and I went to their forums when the whole Live thing started, but I saw this post as I was aimlessly reading. It just reminded me, painfully, of my mindset when I was a Christian. I am mostly through my deconversion process, but things like this remind I have a long ways to go... remembering all the stupid stuff I did that I have kind of blocked from my memory. I'm so embarrassed, but I know I'm not alone on here so I thought I would share:

http://myidol.idolonfox.com/Boards/topic.aspx?tid=125919

I hope I don't offend anyone. But...Chris Daughtry seems to be a Christian. I found a site that had his band "Absent Element" playing Christian Rock songs. Check it out:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?

bandID=258448

Go Chris! Rock on for JESUS!

If I'm very liberal with the definitions I can say "Yes, kind of".

Back then when I worked for the YouthCamp 2000, during the "hot phase" of the camp itself, one of our female volunteers really impressed me positively, but I won't try and judge whether her kind and loving and helpful personality was caused exclusively by her (for Germany) rather strong belief in what passes as Lutheran christianity here.

And I admit that I found her quite attractive too... :scratch:

Anyway. "Kind of, yes" would be my answer.

What about dealing with the bigger issue? Dealing with the hidden emotional issues of deconversion when you least expect it?

I can't say I have ever liked someone just because they were of religion or not but I can say, there have been people in my past who now, I think were always complete assholes, yet, I tolerated them because they were in my circle of friends.

I don't think there's a person alive who has not been guilty of this behavior on one level or another.

I just feel so dirty. The things I did as a Christian are descipable and I feel so gullible. How can I trust myself when I did that then? Don't you guys feel guilty and/or disappointed in yourself for being gullible (on many levels)?

My husband led Campus Crusade Focus Groups AND led a girl to Christ. It has dashed his self-esteem knowing that he was so involved.....

How did you guys deal with the unsuspected emotional issues? Do they keep coming up even though one has dealt with all the major emotional baggage? There are so many stages, I guess.... I am just experiencing the next one.

I guess I am just getting more self-actualized. Yeah, that's it............ maybe.

When I was a kid and completely brainwashed, sure. As an adult? No. What makes a difference to me are someone's actions, not necessarily what they believe in. If they act like thoughtless jerks, then they're less likely to be my friend. If not, then the opposite.

Did you see my AI thread? What do you think?

Actually, there's two AI threads dealing with that... the "did you ever" one is the other one. Sort of. Chris is a Christian, although I doubt he's the evangelical type... but on the other hand, Christian rock bands are usually from the same Christian culture that I came from.... so who knows.

D'oh... just realized which thread you replied in.... but did you check out the other one? What do you think of that?

I'm not sure. I know I used to. Still that way sometimes. I guess it comes with knowing that if they are the Christians they claim to be, they are someone who tries to do what's right and someone you know you can trust... maybe? Or, it's probably just the old way of life coming back to haunt you...

:shrug:

I did like this girl once who was Mormon. You know how Mormons tend to be nice people? She wasn't an exception. Attractive as well. I was impressed with her. We went out. Parents didn't like that. You know, the whole "unequally yoked" thing.

:Hmm:

I just feel so dirty. The things I did as a Christian are descipable and I feel so gullible. How can I trust myself when I did that then? Don't you guys feel guilty and/or disappointed in yourself for being gullible (on many levels)?

My husband led Campus Crusade Focus Groups AND led a girl to Christ. It has dashed his self-esteem knowing that he was so involved.....

How did you guys deal with the unsuspected emotional issues? Do they keep coming up even though one has dealt with all the major emotional baggage? There are so many stages, I guess.... I am just experiencing the next one.

I guess I am just getting more self-actualized. Yeah, that's it............ maybe.

I guess I can be grateful that I am kind of introverted, and thus never sucsessfully converted anyone durring my time as a christian...at least not that I know of anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

In the day of the lovely walk in the wonderful life of christianity (NOT)....I would like people that were christians and dislike the ones that were not.

Now that I have joined life amoung the living and not the braindead..... different story now.

The friends I make now I like them just because of who they are and nothing else. The enemies I make now, I dislike them because of who they are and nothing else...lolol

In the day of the lovely walk in the wonderful life of christianity (NOT)....I would like people that were christians and dislike the ones that were not.

Now that I have joined life amoung the living and not the braindead..... different story now.

The friends I make now I like them just because of who they are and nothing else. The enemies I make now, I dislike them because of who they are and nothing else...lolol

Excellent post, Angel. Very eloquent! And very true. I have found in my own life, I have so many friends who are much more deep, thoughtful and intrinsically rich that it is amazing that anyone could dislike them because they are either non-religious, non-christian, not of one race vs. another, non-heterosexual in some cases, non-conventional and non-conformists. I just see them as very interesting and loving people who genuinely care and look out for others...

Christians who scrutinize and refuse to have friends from all spheres are doing nothing but depriving themselves of fantastic relationships with people whom posses the qualities that xians claim they posess yet never practice... Isn't ironic... non-christians more spiritual and mindful than christians...

It never made sense to me to have a friend only because they're in the same group I am in or to dislike someone else because they're not. If I ever went to a Christian bookstore or business of any sort, it wasn't because it was Christian, but because what I needed to buy at the time was cheaper there or that place was closest. Likewise for any other "Certain Group" business.