Goodbye Jesus

Why Do Churches Have Lightning Rods?

EdwardAbbey

If they have such strong faith in the Almighty, why the need for them at all?

If Christians believe that God can literally part oceans, multiply food and raise the dead back to life, why do they have doubts about God protecting them from lightning striking their church buildings?

Is it possible there just might be some doubt about his existence and churches have lightning rods just in case there might not really be a God?

I think believers have serious doubts their so called God really exists. Otherwise why would they even have locks on the doors of their homes and some with security systems?

Deep underneath their so called brave and unwavering faith, they really aren’t convinced about the existence of God themselves.

So come on all you believers out there, admit it why don’t you. You don’t believe there is sufficient evidence for the existence of your impossible God either. Why not just become atheists or agnostics and reject such superstitious God belief altogether?

Oooooh lightning rods........

*goofy Alaskan chick googles pictures of lightning rods*

We don't have these here. I forget they exist pretty often.

I agree. A lightning rod on top of a church, whilse some dickhead inside it is loudly condemning New Orleans hurricane and South Asia tsunami victims for their sinful ways bringing on gawds wrathy.........

Boy, that kind of cruel hypocracy.......... makes me wish those church arsonists would be more morally motivated about their targets. Leave off burning down the churches used by decent folk, and target these ones full of self-righteous, egotistical, intolerant, racist fundie cunts instead.

Aw, fooey. I've never seen lightning rods on a Catholic church. It's always some Baptists tool shed in a podunk piece of shit town getting fucked up by natural disasters - tornadoes, floods, lightning - we all know what the one true faith is. Jsu pray the rosary every night, I guarantee noting bad will happen to you.

I thought the spire was the lightning rod... :grin:

I wonder if they have insurances against flooding and fire as well?

Contemplating lack of faith because of lightning rods is about as silly as asking why Christians wear seat belts. I hardly see the relevence of that logic. I wonder why they don't all carry knives for that quick request by god to sacrifice their children.

"Be good today...and by the way, drown your children."

because it would be testing god if you didnt protect yourself. remember when satan told jesus to jump off a cliff and the angels would pick him up. thats what theyd say about that lol. or theyd say god made the person who made lightning rods to protect the church.

whyd he let people burn churches in birminghams what i want to know.

If they have such strong faith in the Almighty, why the need for them at all?

If Christians believe that God can literally part oceans, multiply food and raise the dead back to life, why do they have doubts about God protecting them from lightning striking their church buildings?

Is it possible there just might be some doubt about his existence and churches have lightning rods just in case there might not really be a God?

I think believers have serious doubts their so called God really exists. Otherwise why would they even have locks on the doors of their homes and some with security systems?

Deep underneath their so called brave and unwavering faith, they really aren’t convinced about the existence of God themselves.

So come on all you believers out there, admit it why don’t you. You don’t believe there is sufficient evidence for the existence of your impossible God either. Why not just become atheists or agnostics and reject such superstitious God belief altogether?

You probably already know of this story, but I love it so much I'll tell it to ya anyway! When Ben Franklin invented the lightning rod churches originally refused to install them because that was thwarting the will of God. When all the other buildings soon had lightning rods and God seemed to only wanna strike churches with it anymore, they finally gave in and installed them. :grin:

Heh... it's true, though. After all, Xians think their god is in full support of their work on earth, so why are there lightning rods on churches, Xians? For that matter, why lock the doors after hours, or why have insurance? Why do churches need repairs - shouldn't Gawd magically protect the buildings from damage and wear, in order to convey the Good Noose™?

Really, when you think about it, their god is supposed to be looking out for them. Answering their prayers, guiding them in the truth, using them as his tools on earth, right? Well, then it stands to reason that their god would look after the material things his fan club needs to do his work, right? Well, guess not - as usual, the Xian god sits on his ass and dictates, and his slaves are too busy falling all over themselves to obey him to stop for a second and think about why they aren't getting any help from On High™.

This reminds me of a Catholic church near my home that had a big sprie in the 19th century, then removed it from the tower, replacing it with a cross. Then one day, lightning hit the cross and it fell to the stairs and sidewalk in front of the church. It was years before they blessed another cross with holy dihydrogen monoxide and put it up there.