Goodbye Jesus

Gas Prices

jrmarlin

This thread makes me really glad I don't own a car.

This thread makes me want to move back to NYC so I won't have to own one! Trust me!

This thread makes me want to move back to NYC so I won't have to own one! Trust me!

Aren't living costs high in NYC, though? Living there isn't cheap.

Aren't living costs high in NYC, though? Living there isn't cheap.

Well, by the time you pay for the average car note ($400.00) and insurance which is at an average of $100.00 a month, along with the $450.00 (roughly) I spend in gas, that's an additional $950.00 I have for the inflated rent. When average rents in my area is around $1,000. A decent place in NYC would be around $1,950.00. When I say decent. It's a closet size decent but who needs to cook when you live in New York? See what I mean?

You could try moving to Venezuela. I just returned after spending the last four weeks there. Gas there sells at a fixed price of 60 Bolivars per liter. You can exchange Dollars for Bolivars at roughly 2300/1 so that means that you can by a whopping 38 liters for each dollar! That is almost 10 gallons of gas for $1. I kid you not. Do a google search if you don't believe me. You guys can fill your SUVs with a $5 bill and still have enough money left for a cup of coffee.

You could try moving to Venezuela. I just returned after spending the last four weeks there. Gas there sells at a fixed price of 60 Bolivars per liter. You can exchange Dollars for Bolivars at roughly 2300/1 so that means that you can by a whopping 38 liters for each dollar! That is almost 10 gallons of gas for $1. I kid you not. Do a google search if you don't believe me. You guys can fill your SUVs with a $5 bill and still have enough money left for a cup of coffee.

The majority of imported gas to the US comes from there. Which is why the US government is working so hard at regime change.

The majority of imported gas to the US comes from there. Which is why the US government is working so hard at regime change.

I think it's something like the 4th largest importer to the US, but yeah, that's pretty much the gyst of it.

While there one taxi driver I had was vehemently pro Chavez. It was quite comical. While he drove I was entertained with a passionate speech where he claimed that Chavez was responsible for the low gas prices, good jobs, a good life. Chavez es por la pueblo; la ricos no queres Chavez. Viva Chavez!!! :grin:

Hey all gas prices aside just the fact you went to Venezuela rocks. Lucky duck.

I think it's something like the 4th largest importer to the US, but yeah, that's pretty much the gyst of it.

While there one taxi driver I had was vehemently pro Chavez. It was quite comical. While he drove I was entertained with a passionate speech where he claimed that Chavez was responsible for the low gas prices, good jobs, a good life. Chavez es por la pueblo; la ricos no queres Chavez. Viva Chavez!!! :grin:

I fail to see the problem with Chavez, sure he doesn't fall down and lick GWBush's boots but neither do I. I mean shit, the guy reduced inflation from 40% to 12%, increased school attendance dramatically, and has been what I would call an excellent president for Venezuela. Sure, there are accusations floating around but I think it is probably hyped up crap because he doesn't care to much for the U.S.

I saw a news story tonight... The gas prices are just BEGINNING to go up. It ain't over yet... Christ on a Crutch... Does anyone here remember when gas going over a buck a gallon was a big rawl? Oh the days to fill up my tank on under 15 bucks again.... I will love to have those days back!

I fail to see the problem with Chavez, sure he doesn't fall down and lick GWBush's boots but neither do I. I mean shit, the guy reduced inflation from 40% to 12%, increased school attendance dramatically, and has been what I would call an excellent president for Venezuela. Sure, there are accusations floating around but I think it is probably hyped up crap because he doesn't care to much for the U.S.

<cynism>

That's exactly the problem. Shrubbenführer's incompetence and idiocy become all the more obvious when there is someone in his neighborhood who is capable of being a good president to his country. So, either dubya has to become a better president (yeah right!) or... the opposition must vanish.

:Hmm:

I saw a news story tonight... The gas prices are just BEGINNING to go up. It ain't over yet... Christ on a Crutch... Does anyone here remember when gas going over a buck a gallon was a big rawl? Oh the days to fill up my tank on under 15 bucks again.... I will love to have those days back!

All I can tell you is that oil prices and oil stocks are gearing up for another run higher. I'm sure that will filter down to the pumps.

Buy oil stocks here people. You will be happy you did.

And yeah, Venezuela was great. Those 85 degree temps sure beat the sub freezing temps I've since had to return to.

I heard on some news report when the prices first jumped 20 plus cents a gallon a few weeks ago, it was due to an oil refinery shutting down in the Virgin Islands. Another thing that has hurt America, the few number of oil refineries to produce gasoline. If were to have a large hurricane, hit the upper Texas gulf coast, (ie: the Texas City area), the prices we pay today will seem like chump change.

Also, I know oil production was shut down in the Texas Panhandle a few weeks ago due to the range fires they were having. Four of the eleven who died in the fires were oil workers who wrecked their vehicle in the heavy smoke and tried to run for it. Unfortunately, the 50 plus mile per hour winds were faster than they were.

Guest Everon

You also have to remember oil is a commodity. Barrels are traded in much the same way a stock is, and any news story that may be even slightly detrimental to oil supply could boost the price 2-3 dollars a barrel in a blink of an eye. This is why sometimes you drive by a gas station twice within 15 minutes and you see a 25 cent hike.

Gas prices are so inflated right now and the reason should be obvious. This entire administration in the higher ups has oil written all over it. Bush (Carlyle Group), Cheney (Halliburton), Rumslfeld (Occidental), Rice (Chevron-Texaco) and the list goes on. Opec controls the output of oil, and the capacities are far from being reached this affects the price of a barrel of oil through supply/demand. Bush's cronies and his Arab "friends" are getting filthy rich at the expense of the upper middle class on down.

I heard on some news report when the prices first jumped 20 plus cents a gallon a few weeks ago, it was due to an oil refinery shutting down in the Virgin Islands. Another thing that has hurt America, the few number of oil refineries to produce gasoline. If were to have a large hurricane, hit the upper Texas gulf coast, (ie: the Texas City area), the prices we pay today will seem like chump change.

Also, I know oil production was shut down in the Texas Panhandle a few weeks ago due to the range fires they were having. Four of the eleven who died in the fires were oil workers who wrecked their vehicle in the heavy smoke and tried to run for it. Unfortunately, the 50 plus mile per hour winds were faster than they were.

So if an oil company exec farts and clears a boardroom for a day, gas prices will jump? There is no shortage and spiking the price on any little thing needs to be controlled. Capitalism, sometimes, gets on my nerves.

So I was really curious about this, and went out and started digging around a bit (since I really don't know much). Found an interesting site listing out crude oil imports by month, year, whatever. Hopefully this link works, but it gives some great insight as to where all our oil comes from. Something interesting I didn't know... the largest exporter to the US? Canada. Followed by Mexico, then Saudi Arabia, then Venezuela, and Nigeria. (This was for total imports for 2005.) Where do Iraq and Kuwait fall? WAY DOWN the list... Of all the persion gulf oil, Iraq only accounts for 22%.... (ok, can you tell i'm a stats freak? here's a few more...) so what's the actual percentage of iraqi oil for 2005? around 3.9%!!!! :scratch: WTF!

Another interesting fact? We imported almost as much oil from Canada last year as ALL of the persian gulf (792,691 vs. 838,922 in thousands of barrels). Granted, it all varies from year to year, but I had no idea that our number one and number two imports of oil were from Canada and Mexico! The Canada and Mexico oil accounted for 28.2% of all oil imported last year....

OK, last stat... of all the oil in 2005, 72.5% of crude oil was imported. Wow.

Here's the link to some of this information...

Energy Information Agency - U.S. Oil Imports

It's either China, higher demand, or Bushco is trying to make his children see that we need him and to give him higher approval rating. I'm not sure which one, though...