Goodbye Jesus

Do you ever wish you could grow up ''normally''?

Axelle

For those who were brought up in Christian / conservative religious houses, probably more so for children of pastors or worship leaders. 

If you could ''magically'' change your past, would you trade your strict christian home for a normal, non religious home? How do you recon your life would have been different then, and how would that change how your life is now?

Why, yes, I wish I hadn't had the abusive childhood I had. I don't come from a family of pastors, but I have asked myself so many times, just how different would I be if I had had a safe childhood with emotional support to grow up to work towards fulfilling my own dreams and plans, instead of the years of my youth being wasted just trying to survive, surrounded by delusions? 

It is impossible to know the answer. And it's an easy road to bitterness to think about it too much. One I have walked down way too many times and still am tempted to. It's easy to answer myself that I'd be happy, have good income, not fear starting a family, etc. But I honestly, honestly don't know. 

• Like 1

I had a pretty good childhood, so no, I don't think that I would wish for a different one.

No.

But I DO wish that I had the knowledge of xanity, and religion in general, when I first started dating Mrs. MOHO some 20+ years ago. When she stated, quite flatly, that she only dated xtians, my response would have been quite different. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, yunea said:

And it's an easy road to bitterness to think about it too much.

Thanks for that. There is a lesson in there.

Yes.

But, this is not an easy decision.

By saying Yes I am saying I want the 25 lost years of my life back, but, at the price of having zero experiential empathy for those stuck in the greatest mindfuck, and thus ending up being less caring of a person then I am right now.

I would choose gaining the 25 years.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I often fantasize about a childhood where I didn't have parents trying to pigeonhole me into things I hated because as a female "that's what God wants for me."

• Like 3