Goodbye Jesus

Some Of My Spiritual Experiences

theGreatMe

When I was a teenager I started messing around with with occult stuff like tarot cards and ouija boards. Tarot cards didn't give me much insight back in the day but the ouija board was somethin else. Although my best friend would push the pointer around to say what he wanted it to say, I would use the board on my own. It is a very creepy feeling having your hands move without your willing them to move. I can totally see how people do automatic writing and channeling. I have tried automatic writing, but i hardly ever get anything coherent out of it other than a figure 8. Back to the Ouija, it never told me anything enlightening, other than the fact that I could have a spirit move my hands around. One of the most striking events I have had with the Ouija was was when we had a group of 8 ppl around and it started going back and forth between H and A. It was spelling out hahahahahaha and I got up out of my chair to get a closer look at what it was doing and a stream of water came out of the ceiling and poured into the chair I had just gotten out of for about 10 seconds. Granted it was sprinkling outside, but no serious rain, I asked the homeowner if he ever had any problem with the ceiling leaking and he said no. There was also no hole for the water to come through in the ceiling.

I have also experienced the real glossalalia where it wells up inside you and and your tongue starts to babble - it feels a lot like when the ouija gets your hands moving.

These are just a few of the reasons why I still believe in a spiritual world - completely anecdotal, but firsthand experience.

Odd side note - nowadays the ouija refuses to speak to me, it just runs off the side of the board, points at the sun or moon, or goes to goodbye.

Another side note - that friend that used to make the ouija board say what he wanted it to, got a couple of gullible girls sleep with him doing that. Later in life, he just used weed to do that - much easier for him. Bastard.

I'm investigated Wicca and Native American spirtualism after leaving the Christ Cult. And I linked up with this chick who was supposed to have all these powers and talk to the spirits and ancesters and shit. Well, she told me all kinds of stuff about my past, present, and future. She told me about my family and family history. The only thing was that she was totally wrong!!!! Wrong about my family, my past and present situations, and just about everything else. And the shit that she should have picked up on, she missed

So needless to say, I have a hard time accepting Wicca or anything spiritual. But I got laid though.

I'm sorry, but how "mystical" can something patented by Parker Bros. really be?

I think it's more a reflection of the subconscious of the user(s) than anything else...

Yeah, I gotta agree that it's a subconscious thing. I learned Tarot when I was going through my Pagan phase and nothing ever came of it. IMHO, Tarot is a good tool to recognize what is on your subconscious mind, but I don't believe it tells the future.

Also I tried casting spells (of the white magic sort), and nothing ever happened. That was when I realized none of it was real, that all religions are just superstition. No offense to any Pagans here, but it just did not work for me.

However, there is a reason I am not completely atheist. The only real...well, I consider it a pseudo-spiritual experience because I can't prove what it was, but I saw an aura once. What freaked me out was I didn't recognize the person I was looking at at the time. They looked like someone of a completely different ethnic background and were wearing totally different clothes. And besides that, they had a weird red light shining around them. I didn't say anything to them, I just got the heck of that room. Can't explain it to this day, even though part of my Paganism search was trying to find an explanation for it.

And no, I don't do drugs, don't drink excessively, and mental illnesses do not run in my family (other than Christianity if you consider it one).

To me, though I possess a very powerful skeptic's streak, I do not deny the existence of what people may call the "supernatural" or "magic". I think it's perfectly rational to posit that people can tap into these sorts of things, assuming certain requirements are met, and basically that said person has any sort of natural aptitude for it. After all, magic and the like are skills like any others, and it takes a certain amount of trained skill as well as natural talent to succeed with it, I believe.

Guitars exist but not everyone can pick one up and teach themselves how to play, and many others cannot learn even with apt guidance. Furthermore, learning the guitar isn't necessary to live a happy life, only for those who have a need or feel the desire to play, nor is it required to be a decent, moral person or to succeed in one's endeavors. It merely enriches the lives of those who desire it and have the right stuff to succeed in learning it. Personally, I feel magic is much the same, and see no reason to believe otherwise. It's there, as others have demonstrated some sort of ability to make use of it, but clearly not everyone can do so, indicating there are some simple requirements to be met first.

Though stuff like the ouija and the tarot is a bit different, as I see it. Somehow magically using mundane objects to defy the laws of time and peer into the future (or possible futures)? I don't see the rationale behind that. Sure, we desire to know - but desire doesn't equal ability or anything else. Magic, if it indeed does exist and can be used for anything, I'd think only works in the present, in the here and now. It's more than likely just a practical thing, not some mystical ability to see your future in a crystal ball or anything like that. Then again, I may be familiar with such things but am by no means an expert, so who really knows? But my studies of things like the tarot and the runes have only indicated to me that any attempts to "learn the future" really are just ways of taking a look at different possibilities that anyone can imagine without using runes or cards, as well as highlighting different things on your mind.

Or it could all just be a bunch of crap, but without opening the door, we can't see what is behind it. And of course since there's no hell to roast in if I'm wrong, I see no reason to worry. Hakuna matata :)

So tell me....why exactly should I care about your spiritual experiences? So what if they cause you to believe in a spiritual world?

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from Asimov, that's why I said it was anecdotal. I was just offering up my reasons why I don't give the search for spiritual things completely after being deceived by the dominant religion of my culture.

Another spiritual experience - back when I was a teen suffering from depression and feeling like an outcast, I decided to call upon some evil spirits - a kind of prayer to get their attention. I was sitting in my room alone and looked around the room after the prayer and I saw something moving. It was a necklace that my brother had hung up on his shelf - it was swaying back and forth despite the fact that i hadn't been moving around the room and that there was no ventilation in the room for air currents. The funny thing about the necklace though, was its logo "Good In Bed".

Yeah, I understand where you are coming from Asimov, that's why I said it was anecdotal. I was just offering up my reasons why I don't give the search for spiritual things completely after being deceived by the dominant religion of my culture.

I don't use the word spiritual, because of the supernatural connotations it contains. If you think that your personal growth is bettered by using ouija boards and the like, despite the obvious large amount of interpretation that must come with using it, then I am certainly not trying to stop you.

Could you define spirituality for me?

Can you explain why these experiences are spiritual?

So tell me....why exactly should I care about your spiritual experiences? So what if they cause you to believe in a spiritual world?

If you don't care then why do you bother to look at the thread in the first place? :shrug:

If you don't care then why do you bother to look at the thread in the first place? :shrug:

Why do you care what I ask him?

Just curious. You seem like one of those grumpy old men that hang at the gas and sip talking about the old days and bitching about things when all they have to do is either ignore them or move past them. You're funny that way. Guess you wouldn't be you if you didn't act that way!

Just curious. You seem like one of those grumpy old men that hang at the gas and sip talking about the old days and bitching about things when all they have to do is either ignore them or move past them. You're funny that way. Guess you wouldn't be you if you didn't act that way!

I'm actually a pretty easy-going guy for the most part...I have a tendency to push people though. I guess it comes from being an older brother and being introverted for most of my life. And so far no one here really challenges me on my own beliefs, so I treat people the way I want to be treated :) I'm being Jesus, I tells ya! :P

It seemed like his post was kind of like some weird proof for the spiritual...so I questioned him. I would like my questions answered though, for the interest of discussion.

I'm actually a pretty easy-going guy for the most part...I have a tendency to push people though. I guess it comes from being an older brother and being introverted for most of my life. And so far no one here really challenges me on my own beliefs, so I treat people the way I want to be treated :) I'm being Jesus, I tells ya! :P

So you want to be challenged?

Yes...being comfortable in my belief causes stagnation.

It seemed like his post was kind of like some weird proof for the spiritual...so I questioned him. I would like my questions answered though, for the interest of discussion.

After I read you get exercise then I believe you are an easy going guy. People who get exercise have endorphin rushes. There's nothing more relaxing or better for the mind! Rock on, Asimov! Rock on!

There is nothing wrong with being the devil's advocate. It helps people think.