Goodbye Jesus

About Righteousness And Motives

theGreatMe

One of the things that used to strike me was that christians said that unsaved people's righteousness was as filthy rags. The reason? Because their motives were wrong. They were self interested motives - they weren't out of a desire to do something for God. But the problem for me was that I think that all motives from an individual are always self interested even if they are "altruistically" done for God. Goes something like this this - I want God to be happy... why? cuz when he's happy, I am happy - self interest.

Of course - that's the way it always is. It's human nature to seek to do good things for selfish reasons even though you may also do them for altruistic ones. Xianity is again out of touch with reality when it insists that doing good because it suits us to is wrong, since all creatures in the universe need to be motivated by selfish interests in order to do anything. The problem also lies with Xianity criminalizing good, healthy selfishness and self-interest by always equating it with greed and maliciousness.

It's part of how Xianity tries to instill a slave-mentality in its followers, by positing that nothing should be done for the self and all should be done for the Lard. It's why Xianity is so very harmful to a person because it constantly encourages us to deny our own human nature, to deny the natural "programming" and instincts we all have and cannot abrogate. It's like trying to make a diesel engine run on unleaded gasoline, or trying to shoot a clay pigeon with blanks.

Xianity is unnatural and just plain doesn't work.

Var, while it tries to instill the slave mentality... most xians I know are a slave to noone but appearances. The fundie I fight with on a daily basis is one of the most self-centered people I have ever met....it's all about him -- and what he can get out of everything. He has so many possessions but has no college fund for his children. No real security for when he will retire. He does donate his obligatory 10% to the church and goes every Sunday. I believe on some level he thinks he's buying his "heaven ticket" and that all else is merely forgotten.

Seldom xians really live up to their own creeds. Look at Joyce Meyer, Jerry Falwell, Ernest Ansley, Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. All those kids have no intention of serving anyone but themselves.

One of the things that used to strike me was that christians said that unsaved people's righteousness was as filthy rags. The reason? Because their motives were wrong. They were self interested motives - they weren't out of a desire to do something for God. But the problem for me was that I think that all motives from an individual are always self interested even if they are "altruistically" done for God. Goes something like this this - I want God to be happy... why? cuz when he's happy, I am happy - self interest.

I remember in a episode of friends, Joey challenged Phoebe to find one "unshelfish good deed". It was quite interesting episode to watch

One of the things that used to strike me was that christians said that unsaved people's righteousness was as filthy rags....

The referenced verse:

But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away.
...and another:
They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one.

These mark one of many biblical and Xtian doctrinal incongruities when we consider this:

I came not to call the righteous, but sinners to repentance.
"Jesus" is "saying" here that yes, there are indeed righteous out there. Of course, in light of the above two OT verses, the question must be raised: "how did they get righteous?" Additionally, as per Xtian dogma, nobody was technically "saved" as of the period in time when "Jesus" "spoke" in Luke 5:32.

Xtian dogmatic drivel continues to hold millions in bondage, while the prelates rake in the cash through their programs of guilt-mongering, mass-hysteria and dupery (very adequately described as "greed and maliciousness"). It's disgusting.

K

Var, while it tries to instill the slave mentality... most xians I know are a slave to noone but appearances. The fundie I fight with on a daily basis is one of the most self-centered people I have ever met....it's all about him -- and what he can get out of everything. He has so many possessions but has no college fund for his children. No real security for when he will retire. He does donate his obligatory 10% to the church and goes every Sunday. I believe on some level he thinks he's buying his "heaven ticket" and that all else is merely forgotten.

Seldom xians really live up to their own creeds. Look at Joyce Meyer, Jerry Falwell, Ernest Ansley, Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker. All those kids have no intention of serving anyone but themselves.

I think that a lot of Christians don't plan for the future because they don't believe there will be a future. They believe that Jesus is coming back soon and why not live it up, except to give the money to the their church. I know that a lot of us here fell into that catagory.

I inherited some money and instead of investing it, I paid cash for a new car and went on a shopping spree. I got an Associates instead of a Bachelors for the same damn reason.

Taph

You know, Taph, since posting that I have thought more about it. Perhaps they believe that planning for the future means having a lack of faith in the idea that god will cover their asses in a pinch. That is supposedly the whole thing of tithing is that you cover god and god will watch your financial back. Talk about Financial Roulette... Woe, the odds are better in Vegas.

And I find this practice highly irresponsible on their part.