Goodbye Jesus

Online Debate

Dhampir

Anything about Requirement for Messiah being of the line of david?

What about the geneology contradictions between Matthew and Luke?

"It says daughter but it means daughter-in-law" my ass. :Wendywhatever:

• 2 weeks later...

Anything about Requirement for Messiah being of the line of david?

Read these articles, and I promise you that no christian will ever be able to resolve the genealogies

The Genealogies Of Jesus - A Study Of Bad Christian Apologia

Debate about Genealogy

Also if you want more indepth, then check out these Jewish Counter Missionary Site

Jesus'Genealogy (Short)

Genealogical Scams and Flimflams

The Throne Of David

You guys are some hardcore debators. Dhampir, evolution is SELF EVIDENT. What you need to do is to explain the general concept of evolution:

evolution is a change in the traits of living organisms over generations, including the emergence of new species.

When a Christian Denies Evolution then they really don't understand it. The best possible route to remedy this would be to ask if they understand the process of meiosis in humans and reproduction. This is just the tip of the iceberg for evolution, but with a semi-indepth understanding of this you can

propose a likely scienario for evolution with things like malaria and sicle cell anemia. The emergence of a new species would be really hard to do because they don't accept the fact that the earth is several billion years old.

Basic Evolution Works like this

1.Mutation the Chromosomes of Gametes + Reproduction = Change in traits in progeny

(DUH!!)

2.Changing Traits + Environment = Natural Selection

(ie people with sicle cell have a mutation in the B chain of hemoglobin (a protein that binds to oxygen) that causes a detrimental conformational chain in the protein causing insane polymerization and crystalization of the hemoglobin into fibers. This results in sickle shaped cells that have a much shorter life span... Shorter RBC life span = not enough time for malaria parasite infection and growth to take place. So under conditions where malaria is prevelant people with sickle cell are better adapted to handle malaria than those without the mutation. However, in general people without the mutation are better off)

3.Natual Selection + Time = Evolution of New Species

1 and 2 are a cake walk. What you have to do is convince them that the reason that they don't believe in evolution is because they don't believe the earth is old enough. You can also point out that thinking you evolved from monkeys is a lot better than being made out of dirt.

pwnaged.......

It seems I keep missing you, skeptic. Thanks for your input, I will put it to good use.

Thanks Padreko. I am looking for a simplistic explanation. I always get stumped when someone says 'prove it' regarding evolution, even though I have a more than adequate understanding of the mechanisms driving it.

• 2 months later...

Some doof is talkin' about how Nova once talked about a worldwide flood. can someone clarify what he's talkin' about?

I have a lot of education in biblical studies and biblical languages (BA, biblical studies; MAT, biblical studies and theology; MDiv), and I still don't debate inerrancy. I don't do this because inerrantists are willing to latch on to all kind of linguistic absurdities to hold on to it. They will use obscure, variant readings, fall back on scribal errors, interpret one passage by another, etc. The person who is committed to inerrancy will stay committed no matter what. Plus, this makes me do too much work. I have to get out my Greek and Hebrew texts and lexicons and concordances and spend hours on it all.

I like to just go for the heart of the matter: Does a god or gods exist? I challenge the theist to come up with an argument that they must support and defend (it helps being a PhD student in philosophy because I have a lot of practice in getting to the heart of arguments).

I start by defining atheism as the absence of a belief in a god or gods and demonstrating that the Christian has the burden of proof in the debate (see Defining Atheism And The Burden of Proof and Is Atheism Rational?). I, then, simply press the Christian to explain his or her argument (in syllogistic form if possible) and support his or her premises.

I've concentrated mainly on presuppositionalists because they are so amazingly overrepresented on the internet (see my TAG Index for an explanation and several debates/discussions with Christians).

If you find yourself talking a lot, you are probably losing the debate. Get them talking. Make them defend their assertions.

Good luck.

Some doof is talkin' about how Nova once talked about a worldwide flood. can someone clarify what he's talkin' about?

NOVA wasnt talking about a worldwide flood specifically. The program was about the mystery of the scablands in Seattle. It looks like it's carved by water, and couldve been 5 times larger than Niagra falls, but there is no water source near the area. Of course, fundies will say it was because of a worldwide flood... the story of Noah of course.

Here's a transcript:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/transcripts/3211_megafloo.html

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/megaflood/

And here's an Apologetics Response to the program:

http://www.apologeticspress.org/articles/712

I thought so. Thanks man. I think I'll go nail his ass to the wall. He shouldn't have given me his IM!