Goodbye Jesus

Evolution Study

Guest thebiblesquitesilly

Guest thebiblesquitesilly

I was wondering if anyone knew some good books to read on evolution for someone who knows next to nothing about science. By the way books that support evolution not some crap book writ by hovind, even i could see the holes in creationism when someone showed it to me, i am scientifically illiterate asswell. "Irreducable comlexity" easy to get your head round how that could easily be false, i did as soon as i saw it. Of course a fundie would never see the errors in creationism becasue thier minds dont work properly, thier brains seem to be in a state where only stuff that backs up thuer claim (no matter how poorly) will be processed.

I was wondering if anyone knew some good books to read on evolution for someone who knows next to nothing about science. By the way books that support evolution not some crap book writ by hovind, even i could see the holes in creationism when someone showed it to me, i am scientifically illiterate asswell. "Irreducable comlexity" easy to get your head round how that could easily be false, i did as soon as i saw it. Of course a fundie would never see the errors in creationism becasue thier minds dont work properly, thier brains seem to be in a state where only stuff that backs up thuer claim (no matter how poorly) will be processed.

The Selfish Gene

Richard Dawkins

While not evolution per se, it is still a very good insight into genetics/evolution.

I'd recommend What Evolution Is by Ernst Mayr. Though I haven't read it, I flipped through it at a Barnes and Noble once for a good hour, and it seems like it might be right up your alley. He even states in the intro/preface that the book is for the scientifically illiterate looking to find out about the subject. He goes over all the basics and mechanisms, without going into too much detail as he is aiming for the layman.

Also from Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker: Why Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design. The chapters can be sort of rambling, but he goes into a lot of detail with his analogies, and he keeps it entertaining.

I know where I go when I have questions regarding evolution: talk.origins

This site covers information from genetics and biochemistry to fossils. Lots of good stuff, but some of it is kind of technical. It may or may not be what you're looking for, but I just thought I'd point it out.

Okay so it's not a book per se, but I think it's worth mentioning. :)

Also from Richard Dawkins, The Blind Watchmaker: Why Evidence of Evolution Reveals a Universe Without Design. The chapters can be sort of rambling, but he goes into a lot of detail with his analogies, and he keeps it entertaining.

i second this one. in the edition i have, he even tells you how to make your own biomorphs.

I suggest Full House by Stephen Jay Gould. It also isn't about evolution per se, it does show that evolution is not progressive as many people seem to think. It's also good if you are a baseball fan :)