Goodbye Jesus

When Will Christians Become A Minority In The USA?

R_Collins

The decline in the percentage of Christians in the USA has been well documented by several long-term, statistically valid studies. I got curious about when Christians might become a minority in the USA, so I plugged some of this data into a spreadsheet and made some forecasts using linear regression.

The forecast, based on the 70 year trend, is some time in the early 2100's. But this downward trend has accelerated significantly recent years. The forecast, based on the most recent 20 years of data, is sometime in the 2040's, and "nones" may outnumber Christians sometime in the 2050's. 

I've created a 7 minute video that discusses these forecasts in detail, and gives some reasons why the downward trend in Christians has been accelerating in the past two decades. 

Here's the link to the video. I hope you enjoy it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvdq4Cz9MTQ

• Like 4

Good video. Very professional. 

• Like 1

I chime in. Very well done.

The fundagelicals have to ramp up their attempts to exercise control and political dominance, because otherwise, they are losing control. Will their attempts only push more people to get out of the cult?

• Like 1

When Will Christians Become A Minority In The USA?

Not soon enough.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, ficino said:

The fundagelicals have to ramp up their attempts to exercise control and political dominance, because otherwise, they are losing control. Will their attempts only push more people to get out of the cult?

Thank you for your kind words, ficino, older and Geezer. 

I've found some academic research papers that say there is some evidence that some Christians are repulsed by churches getting into politics, and leave their church; in many cases, they leave organized religion altogether, although they usually retain some kind of personal religious belief. That's the good news. 

The bad news is that the departure of those Christians leaves a residue of hard-core "Christian soldiers" in the churches who firmly believe that it is their god's will for them to take western culture back to the "Good Old Days", when there was no Separation of Church and State, i.e.,the Dark Ages. Make America Great Again. 

20 hours ago, ficino said:

I'm hoping that these clumsy attempts at dominance will backfire on them!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, R_Collins said:

The bad news is that the departure of those Christians leaves a residue of hard-core "Christian soldiers" in the churches who firmly believe that it is their god's will for them to take western culture back to the "Good Old Days", when there was no Separation of Church and State, i.e.,the Dark Ages. Make America Great Again. 

At least one part of the good news is that, the more Christians drift out of churches, the less money and volunteer labor the churches will have available. 

• Like 1

Well done. Very informative.

Could you please create a video showing the ranks of other religions (Islam, Hindu, Judaism) and their associated changes?

News that Christianism is decreasing is certainly good news but, if it is being replaced by Islam, we are all hosed!

• Like 2

Thank you for posting this @R_Collins I've enjoyed many of your videos since I starting reading and posting here regularly.

I would think the accelerated decline is most recently due to Christianity trying to become more of a political force in national politics. To a degree, this has been the case for a long while (the Moral Majority in the 1980s is the first I was aware of it), but the 2016 election featured rhetoric from the evangelical "talking heads" unlike anything I've seen in my lifetime.

There are many in the church (like me) who were not completely on board with a lot of the dogma and doctrine, but willing to stay because it was "what we knew" or our social/cultural tradition. I can say that my exit was entirely related to national politics and the evangelical defense of what had formerly been disqualifying characteristics of a candidate. 

• Like 2

They are, regardless of declining numbers, well organized and are actively working to inflict their agenda upon us. In my area political scientists say liberals vote less often than conservatives, the latter being far more religious. So in order to keep the government secular, we need to get everyone to the polls. Even local elections are important. In our town (which could be named "Churchville") the city council just posted "In God We Trust" over the dais. 

• Like 4

Thanks to everyone, Tsathoggua9, ficino, MOHO, Riven and Older, for your kind words of encouragement. 

MOHO, my videos focus on Christianity, because that is my area of expertise. If you would like to view similar trends for other religions, you can view and download the Gallup data at http://news.gallup.com/poll/1690/religion.aspx

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, MOHO said:

Well done. Very informative.

Could you please create a video showing the ranks of other religions (Islam, Hindu, Judaism) and their associated changes?

News that Christianism is decreasing is certainly good news but, if it is being replaced by Islam, we are all hosed!

So true!

2 hours ago, R_Collins said:

Thanks to everyone, Tsathoggua9, ficino, MOHO, Riven and Older, for your kind words of encouragement. 

MOHO, my videos focus on Christianity, because that is my area of expertise. If you would like to view similar trends for other religions, you can view and download the Gallup data at http://news.gallup.com/poll/1690/religion.aspx

I'm ON IT!

Interesting charts comparing religions.

Christionism broken out into Protestant, Catholicism, and Xitan (non-denom).

Combined (68%) they are far more than all the other choices - including none (20%).

• 1 month later...

The sooner the better, as long as the worse cult islam doesnt take more than 5%. 

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

Great video. I find it interesting that the non white races are the ones holding the numbers. The video also mentioned something that I think keeps people in the church. That being getting to know others who are not believers. There are times when people join a church just to have some social life and to feel a part of something.

I remember getting a job transfer to a small town where all the people were a member of one church or another. I got invited to more church services than I ever had. Eventually, I joined a church just so I could have a social life. I ever dated a minister who was one of the most mentally messed up women I ever encountered!!! Thankfully, I met my wife not too long after that and moved to another town where one could have a social life without pretending to be a Bible totter

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Jagdish said:

There are times when people join a church just to have some social life and to feel a part of something.

I think that is it for more people than we might realize. Oh sure, there are lots of True Believers, but when you take a close look at the folks in the pews, it seems to me that quite a few are just mouthing the words and are eager to get on to the social hall and the free food.

(I've previously reported here about attending a mass at Yorkminster in England, and how the show was so damn good that I'd go once in a while just for that. OTOH everything else I've suffered through was excruciatingly boring and not worth tolerating for even a seven course dinner with a good wine and an after-dinner cordial.)

I have talked to several people who are "Christians", and they are mightily contesting the conservative / fudamentalist doctrine being taught by the leadership -- at least in their private thoughts.  A lot of them would be out already if they could avoid censure by their friends and families. I'll bet this will show once some older folks (these people's parents, especially!) begin to die off in significant numbers.

There was another article in the news today about a Methodist church in the upper midwest that is closing because of dwindling attendance. Only an average of 29 people showed up on Sundays last year.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion/2020/01/22/church-allegedly-asked-older-members-leave-leaders-say-that-didnt-actually-happen/