Goodbye Jesus

Abort! Abort!

TheRedneckProfessor

The other day I decided to connect 2 random ideas together as cause and effect and then attribute it to God.

• Haha 3

I thought it was His punishment for gay marriage? I really wish He would let us know which sin in particular He is smiting today. 

• Haha 2

So, basically, thing we subjectively don't like is a "punishment" for other things we subjectively don't like.

• Like 1

Maybe it isnt about abortion. Maybe God recognizes that there are racist white morons identifying as Christians so he wants to replace them with his brown children. 

• Haha 1

Gods are fictional characters instilled, developed and maintained by those that believe they actually exist in reality.  Many believers project some of their own character traits upon these gods, and then pretend the gods are the source of those traits/views/laws/opinions.  This partially explains why there are so many different gods, why they change over time and why they are often different from denomination to denomination and from person to person.

The link in the OP is an example.

• Thanks 1

I'm brown, I want to cast all the illegal immigrants into the sea as Pharaoh did to the Israelite children, and I think abortion is so great that everyone should try it once. So God is punishing my white neighbors for something I think is great by sending an onslaught of inferior versions of myself who vaguely resemble me but are academically subpar?

I'm so confused...is this good or bad? :(

• Haha 2

• Super Moderator

I've never understood why christians are so opposed to abortion.  People are born into sin; but you can't be born into sin if you're never born.  So doesn't that mean that the souls of aborted fetuses automatically go up to heaven everlasting into the loving arms of the sweet baby jesus?  It's the ultimate Get Out of Hell Free card.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

I've never understood why christians are so opposed to abortion.  People are born into sin; but you can't be born into sin if you're never born.  So doesn't that mean that the souls of aborted fetuses automatically go up to heaven everlasting into the loving arms of the sweet baby jesus?  It's the ultimate Get Out of Hell Free card.

Yeah, that's my thinking, exactly!

11 hours ago, TheRedneckProfessor said:

Heh, well I think they believe the fetuses of the aborted go to hell, because they also think humans are conceived in sin. At least this was the position of my fellow Calvinists in my old reformed Baptist circle.

As to why Christians are so obsessed with abortion, I was surprised to find that it is actually mentioned in a fairly ancient Christian creed (I'll try and find it later). This has been a Christian position from fairly early in church history. I think most Christians simply believe abortion is wrong because they've inherited this view from their denominational traditions and never questioned it. I can understand this posture from a Catholic or Orthodox, but Protestants have never been shy about questioning extra-biblical tradition. Even the Torah suggests that killing a fetus is undesirable, but not the same as murder. That they would favor tradition over a Biblical exegesis is intellectually dishonest, to say the least.

For our part, I think we've made the mistake of classifying abortion as a feminist issue or a privacy issue. To me it's a much more simple matter of opposition to freeloading. I'm against forcing a woman to carry a fetus for the same reason I want to kick out the illegal immigrants: I don't believe in compelling anyone to offer free rent. You'd think at least a few evangelicals would be able to get behind the idea of individual liberty, if only their adherence to tradition were not so ironically ingrained.

I don't think Christianity is supposed to make sense. The fact that it doesn't does not seem to be a problem for believers, because the alternative is to burn in hell forever. :fdevil:

• Like 1

• Super Moderator

Interesting summary on the history of abortion and Christianity, including early Christian thoughts on the subject, which were just as contradictory and controversial then as they are now:   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_and_Christianity

Former Southern Baptist Convention President W.A. Criswell (1969-1970) welcomed Roe v. Wade, saying that ""I have always felt that it was only after a child was born and had a life separate from its mother that it became an individual person," the redoubtable fundamentalist declared, "and it has always, therefore, seemed to me that what is best for the mother and for the future should be allowed." This was a common attitude among evangelicals at the time.[42][43] Criswell would later reverse himself on his earlier position.

Protestant supporters of abortion rights include the United Church of Christ, the United Methodist Church, the Episcopal Church, the United Presbyterian Church, the Presbyterian Church (USA), and the Lutheran Women's Caucus.[10][44] The American Baptist Churches USA, Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, the Presbyterian Church (USA) and The United Church of Christ consider abortion permissible under certain restricted circumstances.[45]

Some writers state that there is evidence that some early Christians believed, as the Greeks did, in delayed ensoulment, or that a fetus does not have a soul until quickening, and therefore early abortion was not murder;[97] Luker says there was disagreement on whether early abortion was wrong.[3] Other writers say that early Christians considered abortion a sin even before ensoulment.[98] According to some, the magnitude of the sin was, for the early Christians, on a level with general sexual immorality or other lapses;[99] according to others, they saw it as "an evil no less severe and social than oppression of the poor and needy".[100]

The society in which Christianity expanded was one in which abortion, infanticide and exposition were commonly used to limit the number of children (especially girls) that a family had to support.[101][102] These methods were often used also when a pregnancy or birth resulted from sexual licentiousness, including marital infidelity, prostitution and incest, and Bakke holds that these contexts cannot be separated from abortion in early Christianity.[97]

In 2011, the Guttmacher Institute reported that two out of three women having abortions in the U.S. identified as Christian.[92]