Goodbye Jesus

Blessed Are They Who Fear The Lord

garrisonjj

Please explain this one to me. I realize its from the buybull,,,,,created by man,,,,,but churches use this regularly! Why should I fear the lord? sShould I fear sin? What possible effect can sin have on an all powerful god/ Where did the 10 commandments really come from? Thanks

Please explain this one to me. I realize its from the buybull,,,,,created by man,,,,,but churches use this regularly! Why should I fear the lord? sShould I fear sin? What possible effect can sin have on an all powerful god/ Where did the 10 commandments really come from? Thanks

Sin sends a miasma of flatulence to heaven and god chokes on it. But really, putting god aside since there can be no answer to that question I suggest this...read the Code of Hammurabi and do a comparison with the Laws of Moses. You will find many little surprises like the ancient Hebrews were not very original. I am currently working on an essay/historical fiction on Abraham (the Sumerian) and point out Mesopotamian influences upon the biblical Aram/Abraham. I have lots of ideas/scriptural observations for Abraham, but I just can't spill the beans on what I'm trying to write. :P

The typical fundy answer is: God is perfect love because he gives you the choice of burning in hell or going to paradise, he died for you, that is perfect love!

Now if only fundys would die for me to show me their love...

There’s another definition for fear: extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power. (Copy and pasted from dictionary.com) That’s what the bible means when it says fear the lord. That’s what I took it to mean anyway. Who knows. :shrug:

As far as I'm concerned, "fear the Lard" means to be afraid of the god whom they think can burn body and soul in Hell forever. I forget the verse, but there is a verse about the need to fear Yahooweh™ more than anyone because he can magically send you to the Xian's Eternal Torture Chamber.

"Fear" means "to be afraid of" as far as I am concerned, and is typical of middle-eastern sects and assorted doomsday cults, all of which preach fear before their hateful god :Wendywhatever:

There’s another definition for fear: extreme reverence or awe, as toward a supreme power. (Copy and pasted from dictionary.com) That’s what the bible means when it says fear the lord. That’s what I took it to mean anyway. Who knows. :shrug:
It had to have been a fuckin' christian who wrote that definition.

Reverence or awe, my ass!

To answer your question, Garrison, the entire religion revolves around fear. If they could think of other ways to instill fear into the believers, they would. Fear keeps the mind from questioning. Questioning, would turn the walls of the church into rubble.

So, it's not so much that you "Fear Da Lawd", as much as it is that you at least feel enough fear to not question. That's what "they" mean...

Well, if I thought the god described in the bible were real, I'd be pretty damn scared, too. After all, he's a psychotic egomaniac. He has no qualms about killing innocent children whenever he gets pissed at their parents or grandparents or even the rulers they had no role in choosing. He sets people up to fail (you can't tell me an "all-knowing" diety would have put that tree in the garden without being fully aware of just what was going to happen). He punishes those who don't bow and scrape and kiss his great big cosmic butt by sentencing them to infinite torture for finite transgressions. He's also a lying hypocrit who claims that people have free will - but you'll go to hell for all eternity if you dare to use it. :nono: This so-called god is a monster. Frightening, indeed.

Not sure how to answer your questions about sin, since I believe this is a concept invited by the church to keep people in line. Sure, there are crimes, mistakes, acts of stupidity, acts of cruelty, etc. But "sin" is just a catch-all phrase used by various religious sects to discredit anything that contradicts the members' own mind-fucked mindset, so the word doesn't have any true meaning for me.

As for where the 10 commandments came from -- just like practically everything else in the bible, they came from other (usually older) cultures, eg. compare with the Code of Hammurabi. Seeing the wisdom of honoring one's parents, say, or of not murdering people wasn't something unique and new that did not exist before Moses came along, you know.

As far as I'm concerned, "fear the Lard" means to be afraid of the god whom they think can burn body and soul in Hell forever

LOL

Well, the Old Testament, as far as I know, means fear, though the Hell doctrine wasn't there in early Judaism. The verb YR' is used consistently in this context, so it clearly doesn't mean "stand in awe or reverence", which is a theological definition.

As far as I can tell, this is used in the Hebrew to insinuate that one fears God by following his laws for fear of retribution, much like saying I "fear" the police *when* I don't break into a store, by that very action of not committing a crime.

God knows how the Christians meant it!

garrisonjj,

This saying is an appeal to desire. If you re-read it, you will the two parts to this; Part A is the appeal to desire to be "blessed", and part B, fearing god, implies causation of Part A.

Those who argue against fearing god as necessary to be blessed will be fighting this saying their entire lives. It must be argued against the axiom of the desire to be blessed.

As for me, I do not desire to be blessed, rendering any argument against Part B "fear god" moot, pointless, and without merit.

You will save yourself a lot of time and breath by cutting to the foundation of any argument.