Goodbye Jesus

God Has Plans For Me

Sybaris

The Duckboat Accident on July 19

--Tia Coleman's thoughts as she struggled to swim to the surface of the lake were focused on her family.

She and 10 of her relatives were on a family vacation from Indiana, taking a tour Thursday of Table Rock Lake near the Missouri tourist hotspot of Branson.
A treacherous squall sank the boat, sending Coleman down into cold, deep water.
She knew she had to go up to get to safety and to help her children.
"I said, 'Lord, please, I've got to get to my babies. I've got to get to my babies," she said Saturday at a news conference at at Cox Medical Center Branson, where she has been hospitalized since the incident that took 17 lives, including her husband, three children and five other members of her family.
Her children have always loved to swim, Coleman said. They had taken vacations to other lakes and to beaches.
"In our family, my oldest son is autistic so a lot of things normal families do, we don't always do," she said.
They went on the duck boat because her eldest could be himself on the boat, she said.
Passengers were told there was a storm coming before they went out on the water, Coleman said. The captain mentioned life jackets before they went onto the lake, she added, but he said, "you won't need them so we didn't grab them."
Coleman said she thinks if she had been able to get a life jacket to her children -- she had a son sitting next to her -- she could have saved them.
"I felt like, if I was able to get a life jacket I could have saved my babies because they could have at least floated up to the top and somebody could have grabbed them. And I wasn't able to do that," she said.
Coleman told reporters that she hit her head as she tried to exit the boat, possibly butting up against the canopy.
"The harder I was kicking to the top, I was pulled down," she said.
As she lost hope of surviving, Coleman just let go and started floating. She felt warmer water closer to the surface and reached out her hand.
When her head emerged from the lake, she looked around and saw a big riverboat docked nearby, but she didn't see anyone from her family.
All of them but a nephew had perished.
Coleman felt hands reaching down for her and then she realized she was being pulled out of the water.
When asked whether she is happy she made it out alive, Coleman said she doesn't know yet and only time will tell. But she thinks there is a reason she survived.
"God must have something for me because there's no way I should be here," she said.

*facepalm*

Right...... your loving omnipotent god could find absolutely no other way to lead you in the right direction other than to kill your whole family.

The stupid is strong with this one.
  • Confused 1

This is too sad and traumatic to make any comment other than to say how tragic this is for so many people & families. I do understand why people that survive something like this would embrace the idea that a supernatural force was involved in their survival.

She is just attempting to make sense out of something that makes no sense. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

That is the approach my brother and his wife took when their boy and his girlfriend slid on ice (4-wheeler) on a curve and over a cliff that had no barrier. They turned it into "God wants to use this to witness to the girl's mother". Years of mental programming faces a harsh reality check that could help them see through the programming, but the fear of that reality pushes the believer to make a nonsensical "answer" about God being faithful and good instead of absent or non-existent. My brother said "I don't know how I would have made it through this without Jesus". He did make it through it without Jesus, but his emotions find solace in thinking someone is in control of this chaos. I kept my yap shut and let them find some comfort.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fuego said:

That is the approach my brother and his wife took when their boy and his girlfriend slid on ice (4-wheeler) on a curve and over a cliff that had no barrier. They turned it into "God wants to use this to witness to the girl's mother". Years of mental programming faces a harsh reality check that could help them see through the programming, but the fear of that reality pushes the believer to make a nonsensical "answer" about God being faithful and good instead of absent or non-existent. My brother said "I don't know how I would have made it through this without Jesus". He did make it through it without Jesus, but his emotions find solace in thinking someone is in control of this chaos. I kept my yap shut and let them find some comfort.

Man, learning to not say anything when it could only be detrimental is hard.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Sybaris said:

Maybe god was just punishing her for being such a vile person? Maybe he has no plan at all for her?

See, if god did have a plan for her, would he have made sure she (and her family) had not been in that boat in the first place? Or did he just enjoy wanting to see her suffer? 

Isn't the human mind just so short on intellect!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Realist said:

Maybe god was just punishing her for being such a vile person? Maybe he has no plan at all for her?

See, if god did have a plan for her, would he have made sure she (and her family) had not been in that boat in the first place? Or did he just enjoy wanting to see her suffer? 

Isn't the human mind just so short on intellect!

QFT..

Possible daLard used a seventy-five year old war machine survivor DuWK to have her live out his plan?
Kill off her entire immediate family, wipe out her loved ones, do all that neat Job-like chitt to show his Glorious Purpose...

Ahhhhhhh... Bullshit!  

Poor kid, entire situation sucks for she and rest of her life, for which I do feel for her.

kevinL

• Like 1

Does it say that the Bible god has plans for every single person. Think about that for a minute, a god who plans everything for you. Does that seem right? What's the point of living if you can't decide for yourself what you'd like to do.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/23/2018 at 3:21 PM, sunstring said:

Does it say that the Bible god has plans for every single person. Think about that for a minute, a god who plans everything for you. Does that seem right? What's the point of living if you can't decide for yourself what you'd like to do.

Good point. It was always a people or a specific person. Then Xers with their ego take that to mean God loves THEM and has a plan for THEM. Makes me sick, literally. It drovev me to madness from which I have never recovered. 

So God has a plan for you but you have free will. Sounds like a contradiction right there.

If I were to choose to put my faith in a supernatural deity, I would not put faith in one that shows conditional love and favour toward humanity. 

Thats all. 

On 7/23/2018 at 5:21 PM, sunstring said:

This very thought always takes me back to Pharaoh.  Who knows what the man really wanted to do (if you believe any of that ridiculous story actually happened in the first place).  Didn't matter to god.  He needed to "harden" Pharaoh's heart in order to fulfill his grand scheme.  That little conundrum always silenced the room whenever I would bring it up in Bible study discussions of free will!

Stories like these illustrate the ends some folks will go to in order to try to make sense of the doctrine. 

Yep, yep, "The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away..." Victims always blame themselves or make excuses for their attacker.