Goodbye Jesus

A Racist Little Church

HoustonHorn

The posting about christians helping homeless by telling them to shower before coming to church got me thinking about something that happened at a church I used to go to.

One Sunday the pastor spent the entire sermon talking about how 'gods people' come in all colors, shapes, sizes, etc, and that we shouldn't see skin color as an issue in 'trying to win people to christ'. It seemed fitting since this church full of old white people was in a primarily Hispanic and black neighborhood.

What I found out later is that a black family had come to visit and basically been turned away at the door. That's as much of the story as I heard, so it may be way off, or there may be more to it. But after hearing that story I could at least imagine something like that happening, even if it really didn't.

To the church's credit, the situation has supposidly improved. After that several hispanics joined. They are now doing a Spanish service as well, so it at least seems like it's a little better. Of course, we left soon after and haven't been back.