Goodbye Jesus

Need to Rant

LoneBlueSky

So today I came across a very 'religious' lady on social media. A friend was talking about his chakras, and this woman commented and told him it was 'demonic' and evil, and not of God. And then another Christian 'religious' lady wrote that yoga, martial arts, and homeopathy are all of the devil. *Facepalm*

I'm seriously sick of people like this, saying things like this. Acting like they know all the answers. One lady said she trusts everything her Pastor says... Huh? Sounds more like a cult to me. I know, because I used to be part of a religion that taught you should believe everything the Prophet says. And if you question them, you are in a state of apostasy. 

I'm really trying to overcome my anger I feel towards religion, especially when I come across people like these women. Sometimes my husband says things about religion that also angers me, but I am trying to be patient with him. Especially since I see a little doubt in him. But sometimes the things he says bother me, and angers me too.

He also wants us to go to this Cowboy Church, but I honestly have no desire to go. I'm also mad at myself because I haven't been completely honest with my husband, and haven't told him I don't believe in Christianity at all anymore, except for some of the moral aspects of it.

I wish I had the money to just go away for a couple days by myself, so I can regroup. But I don't have a job, because my youngest son (who has Autism) can't stay home alone.  Maybe I should go for a walk or something when I feel like this, I dunno. Thanks for letting me rant.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, LoneBlueSky said:

I wish I had the money to just go away for a couple days by myself, so I can regroup. But I don't have a job, because my youngest son (who has Autism) can't stay home alone.  Maybe I should go for a walk or something when I feel like this, I dunno. Thanks for letting me rant.

It does cost money to go away for a couple days. Going for a walk is much less expensive. It cost nothing unless you take into account wear on your shoes, joints, ligaments and the food giving you the calories to do it in the first place.

Thing is -- it doesn't cost a penny to stay off of social media where apparently, your rant/problem began.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoneBlueSky said:

except for some of the moral aspects of it

If you do get into a discussion and it turns to this, keep in mind that the moral aspects are really universal to all mankind. Christians are quick to say that you can't be moral without God, but there are billions of moral people on this planet that don't worship a Christian god.

1 hour ago, LoneBlueSky said:

Maybe I should go for a walk or something when I feel like this

Do it. It works.

• Like 2

I've blocked most of the fundies that used to comment on my posts, or my comments on other people's posts. I know a lot of pagans on FB, so I went to my settings and rather than unfriend the people, I block them and then don't let them see my posts. It keeps pretty quiet after that. I'm still undercover on FB for a couple of relatives I haven't blocked. I still want to be an influence on them. Otherwise I'd quit hiding my views.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, LoneBlueSky said:

I'm really trying to overcome my anger I feel towards religion, especially when I come across people like these women. Sometimes my husband says things about religion that also angers me, but I am trying to be patient with him. Especially since I see a little doubt in him. But sometimes the things he says bother me, and angers me too.

Anger may disappear or change into something else when you ascertain their motives. Acting as if they know all the answers can be just a way to assert authority. It's not that they necessarily care much for what they argue, they simply hold on to the positions that have proved useful in dealing with people who try to reason with them in good faith.

• Like 1

I feel you. The feelings and perspectives of people who don't agree with them don't matter to those kinds of Xians, and it's casually dehumanizing. 

• Like 1

One of the first things I did during my deconversion was I deleted my social media altogether for almost a year. Most of my online time was spent on these forums and in our chat room. When I rejoined social media, I made sure the only people I follow and who follow or are friends with me, are those with similar views. It wasn't only for the reason that I knew the god delusion of believers would irritate me, it was also so that whatever I posted would not be judged and gossiped over by a group of self righteous people who think they and only they have the ultimate truth.

You can take control. Unfriend or block them. The less you see the less you'll be irritated. Later down the road you wont be so triggered by religious people and their nonsense.

And I agree with the advice about getting out for a walk. I do that whenever I have to clear my head.

• Like 1

Agreed, very difficult to overcome anger with theist folks when we see religion feuling malice and discord amongst them. 

Personally, I try to catch myself feeling angry; try to think of the world from their perspectives, and I “ride the wave” of anger into (hopefully) feeling compassion for them, or mostly pity (as bad as that sounds). I try to do this, but I’m human: I get angry too.

Before I could leave the church, I used Sunday mornings to regroup from the pew; I hid a copy of the Tao te Ching inside my Bible case and I journaled my atheistic thoughts through every sermon. Eventually, I spent Sunday mornings by myself in nature to think.  

Does your husband want to take your son to church while you get some time to yourself?

• Like 1

On 8/26/2018 at 2:05 PM, LoneBlueSky said:

another Christian 'religious' lady wrote that yoga, martial arts, and homeopathy are all of the devil. *Facepalm*

The devil is into stretching, self defence and drinking tap water? His standards have really slipped... 

• Haha 2

On 8/25/2018 at 9:00 PM, Fweethawt said:

It does cost money to go away for a couple days. Going for a walk is much less expensive. It cost nothing unless you take into account wear on your shoes, joints, ligaments and the food giving you the calories to do it in the first place.

Thing is -- it doesn't cost a penny to stay off of social media where apparently, your rant/problem began.

It's not just social media. I live in a very religious state. I see judgementalness like this everywhere here too. That's why I wish I could just get away from here, like go up into the mountains for a few days where it is a much more peaceful place to be. 

7 hours ago, TrailBlazer said:

Agreed, very difficult to overcome anger with theist folks when we see religion feuling malice and discord amongst them. 

Personally, I try to catch myself feeling angry; try to think of the world from their perspectives, and I “ride the wave” of anger into (hopefully) feeling compassion for them, or mostly pity (as bad as that sounds). I try to do this, but I’m human: I get angry too.

Before I could leave the church, I used Sunday mornings to regroup from the pew; I hid a copy of the Tao te Ching inside my Bible case and I journaled my atheistic thoughts through every sermon. Eventually, I spent Sunday mornings by myself in nature to think.  

Does your husband want to take your son to church while you get some time to yourself?

I don't think he would go to church without me. I actually had a good talk with my husband over the weekend, and it sounds like he is becoming more on my page. He still wants to go to this Cowboy Church, but it sounds like to me that he is starting to have his own doubts. I keep feeling like I need to give him time. 

On 8/25/2018 at 10:09 PM, Fuego said:

I've blocked most of the fundies that used to comment on my posts, or my comments on other people's posts. I know a lot of pagans on FB, so I went to my settings and rather than unfriend the people, I block them and then don't let them see my posts. It keeps pretty quiet after that. I'm still undercover on FB for a couple of relatives I haven't blocked. I still want to be an influence on them. Otherwise I'd quit hiding my views.

I have been taking a break from many of them too. That way they don't see what I post, and there posts don't show up on my feed.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:00 PM, Fweethawt said:

It didn't just start with Social Media. I live in a very religious state, and there are many people like this around here. So it's very hard to get away from it completely. However, I think I may take a break from Facebook for a few days and see if it helps some. 

1 hour ago, Wertbag said:

The devil is into stretching, self defence and drinking tap water? His standards have really slipped... 

Apparently Natural Healing is evil and of the devil! 😂

Sounds like you are going through a lot. I will send you demonic vibes from liberal California to mock religious lady. 👻👻